PDA

View Full Version : lightweight radio

Frosty
12-30-2004, 00:44
I'm thinking about adding a lightweight am/fm radio to my pack. Anyone have a favorite they recommend?

neo
12-30-2004, 01:23
i bought a cheap one for 10 bucks at walgreens,have not weighed it yet
small,has alarm clock,ear phones:sun neo

screwysquirrel
12-30-2004, 01:53
Go with one of the old sony walkmans. Super light and picks up a lot of stations mostly anywhere. I always bring mine.

Jaybird
12-30-2004, 06:41
Radio Shack has a few "pocket-size" radios with ear buds...etc.,etc.,etc...

also C. Crane Company (http://www.ccrane.com/pocket-radios.aspx): http://www.ccrane.com/pocket-radios.aspx

has a good selection of "pocket-size" radios.

good luck with yer hike! :D

baseballswthrt
12-30-2004, 06:53
I found an AM/FM radio at the base exchange at Lackland Airforce Base that weighs 1.8 ounces including batteries and earbuds for $2.97. It works great! I like to listen to it at night before I go to sleep and hiked and listened to it one day when it was icy to keep my mind off of being cold!

Anita

dgodwin7
12-30-2004, 10:08
I started in June in ME with a little cheap radio walkman with digital tuning. Worked fine until I broke the earphone on one side. A little duct tape and it was mostly back to normal. The Mahoosic Notch in the rain finally killed it though. I replaced it in NH with a digital tuning Sony Walkman that I got at WallyWorld. I'd seen several NOBOS hiking with those and figured I'd give it a shot. Worked great - even picked up TV, AM, and Weather Stations. I really liked having the weather stations option. The radio was more $$ then I would have liked to pay but it lasted until I got off the trail and still works fine today. Just remember, what ever kind you end up with: keep it in a plastic bag! Rain loves radios.

CaptSaltyStache
ME-NY 04

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 10:15
I found an AM/FM radio at the base exchange at Lackland Airforce Base that weighs 1.8 ounces including batteries and earbuds for $2.97. It works great! I like to listen to it at night before I go to sleep and hiked and listened to it one day when it was icy to keep my mind off of being cold!

Anita

I would like to find that for jogging. What does it look like and where did you find it at the AAFEES exchange?

Pooja Blue
12-30-2004, 15:29
Jaybird beat me to it, but I bought a small Sangean radio at the C. Crane Company web site before I left. It's equivalent to this one (http://www.ccrane.com/sangean-sr3-pocket-radio.aspx). 2.6 oz isn't bad. I cannot tell you how many times that radio was accidentally dropped or kicked. Once it fell into a stream (although I picked it up almost immediately). It survived my thruhike intact and still works fine.

Pooja Blue
12-30-2004, 15:30
I recommend analog over digital tuning, too.

Frosty
12-30-2004, 15:53
I recommend analog over digital tuning, too.Just out of curiousity, why

Pooja Blue
12-30-2004, 16:25
It's easier to "fine-tune" the tuning with an analog, which you often need to do because reception in the mountains isn't always good.

SalParadise
12-30-2004, 16:54
I made a post similar to this question not too long ago, and no doubt I wasn't the first one, so you may also want to do a thread search and you'll find a ton of answers.
C.Crane has been recommended to me, the Radio Shack cheap ones apparently work great, and AIWA has also been recommended.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 16:57
I was hoping to find something that weighs less than 2.0 ounces and uses a single AAA.

Kerosene
12-30-2004, 18:12
I was hoping to find something that weighs less than 2.0 ounces and uses a single AAA....with AM, FM, and analog tuning. An auto shut-off after xxx minutes would be ideal for someone who tries to go to sleep with it (not me) or if it gets turned on by mistake (that would be me).

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 18:23
I have seen some MP3 players listed on the web that meet these requirements, but I ain't ready to lay out $120.

saimyoji
12-30-2004, 18:26
I am getting into amatuer radio, ShortWave, SingleSideBand, etc. I find that I get better reception for these frequencies at night, in the mountains (for various geophysical reasons). I also get stations from all over the world (Europe, Asia, Australia) its fun to share with other hikers at night.

I use a Sony ICF-7600DS. Its kinda heavy for a thru I guess, uses 6 AA (four for the radio, 2 for the computer: computer not required for radio function).

As for AM reception: unless you get a radio with external antenae and rig an antenae (using the frame of your pack, tent poles, hiking poles (if metal)) you won't get very good reception in the back country. Stations will "come and go," reception will be poor, though you'll get stations from farther away.

I agree, go analog, or if you choose a slightly heavier more high-tech model, digital with fine-tuning.

Hope I was of some help.

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 18:41
I'm thinking about adding a lightweight am/fm radio to my pack. Anyone have a favorite they recommend?==============================
Radio Shack has already been mentioned but in particular, they have a small blue "weather-proof" model that clips right onto your sternum strap. That's not the intended application but it works. Carried one all the way to Katahdin in 2003. Battery compartment (2 - AA size) is gasket sealed. I used the Eveready Lithiums and only needed 1 set for the entire thru-hike. Comes with the ear bud phones but they kept falling out so I hit a WalMart along the trail and got a pair that fit over the ear. Worked like a charm. Great for a tune now and then, the news or an occasional sporting event.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 18:46
http://www.usbdiscount.com/melodisd6000.html

I've been looking and this seems the best I can come up with. .71 ounces means with the single AAA it should meet my weight. I just can't see spending the money.

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 18:58
I was hoping to find something that weighs less than 2.0 ounces and uses a single AAA.============================
Rock ...they have one that meets your requirments at Radio Shack ( I have 2 of them) but it's not weatherproof. One broke on the trail in 2003 and I sent it home. Replaced it with a weatherproof one from Radio Shack along the trail. When I got home I found that the problem was a broken solder connection. Whipped out the old soldering iron and now it's as good as new. Has a nice clip on the back for attaching to a sternum strap or inside your tent at night. I always found that hanging it near the top of my tent gave me decent reception.

By the way ...if mempory serves me correctly I paid $12 for it.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 18:59
You have a picture so I know what to look for?

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 19:01
You have a picture so I know what to look for?=========================
No ...but I can take one tonight and ship it too you via e-mail. Better yet, if you want to try it out just let me know and I'll loan it to your for a bit.

Ya know, I got to thinking that Radio Shack might have stopped making this little one. Either way, I'll get you the pics and the offer to borrow mine still stands.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 19:08
I'd like to at least see one.

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 19:09
I'd like to at least see one.===================
I'm at work right now. Made myself a note to shoot some pics tonight. Will sent them to you tomorrow.

'Slogger
AT 2003

uscgretired
12-30-2004, 19:11
AIWA CR-LD120 - AM/FM1/2 - DSL - Alarm/Timer/24hr Clock - Auto Preset - Uses 1 Triple A Battery. Ear Buds - Clip on back for attachment to Shoulder Straps. I just put it in my pocket since it is so lightweight. 1 1/2" Wide 3 1/4" long - 1/2" Wide Depth. A little more costly, but you get a lot of features and a good quality radio. Weight: 2oz without earbuds attached. Actually it read 1oz on my Normark Digital Fish Scale so I gave it an extra oz for error.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 19:25
Can I get that weight with battery and earbuds? That ain't bad if it is true weight.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 19:30
Just looked at their site, says 2.3 ounces but doesn't say what that weight includes.

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 19:38
Just looked at their site, says 2.3 ounces but doesn't say what that weight includes.===================
Rock, I'll go ahead and weigh the one I have tonight ...with battery and earbuds. I'll send you that info along with the photos.

'Slogger
AT 2003

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 19:41
Thanks, you 'da man.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 20:00
Oh, and I was also hoping USCGRetired could check that weight. Aiwa has a CR-LD121 that the data sheet says weighs 1.6 ounces without batteries and 2.3 ounces with batteries and earplug.

baseballswthrt
12-30-2004, 20:21
Sarge,

I found it in the shoppette behind the case with the watches.
http://www.jwin.com/Products/ProdDetail.asp?ProdID=311

I clip it to my sternum strap while I'm hiking.

Anita

uscgretired
12-30-2004, 20:28
Your are right about the weight, 2.3oz with battery. Earbuds are so light that it would be a good guess at 3.3oz for the whole shebang. The LD121 must be the new upgrade model. I purchased mine on the recommendation of a WB poster at the end of 2003 and have been totally satisfied with the little boombox. I use it on my section hikes on the AT to tune out the pain of old bones grating against each other. NIce thing is, if you want the forests sounds just hit the off button.

SGT Rock
12-30-2004, 20:38
I'm going to check the PX at Camp Shelby to see if I can find one. At that price it is worth a shot.

HikeLite
01-02-2005, 00:40
Sony SFR-M37V for 3.3 oz including single AAA and belt clip.

Digital Labs UltraSports Digital FM Tuner at Bestbuy- single AAA but weight stated is wrong.

Fiddleback
01-02-2005, 11:56
Then there is this: http://www.xmradio.com/myfi/index.jsp

A portable, palm sized, 7oz (I think), satellite radio with XM satellite radio programing. Of course, it costs an arm and a leg but you won't have to worry about distance from the radio station (just a clear view to the sats....as with GPS locators).

FB

Drala Hiker
01-03-2005, 16:33
Ya, that little XM is the ticket, except for the price and recurring cost. Wonder how long the batteries last?

I recently came across this little gem of a radio (I've not read every forum entry, don't know if it was mentioned earlier). It's AM/FM/TV/Weather, clock, alarm, shut-off timer, all for 3.7 oz. Said to have great reception and good sound with included earbuds. For that weight I'd be happy with the weather band alone. http://www.ccrane.com/sangean-dt300vw-pocket-radio.aspx

springerfever
01-04-2005, 09:46
I've had the Sangean DT300VW for about two years and it works like a champ. Its got so many features, I have to refer to the instructions before each hike to refresh my memory ! Incredible sound on FM Stereo, good for weather forecasts and the TV sound is a plus. Pretty good reception, depending on terrain and weather. Particularly nice since the required two AAA batteries are now available in the lighterweight and more powerful lithium !!

Great radio !!!

SGT Rock
01-04-2005, 21:17
I went by the Shoppet at Camp Shelby today and they didn't have that jWin radio, but they have a lot of others. They will be getting a re-supply on thursday, so I'll check back.

SalParadise
01-05-2005, 00:06
============================
Rock ...they have one that meets your requirments at Radio Shack ( I have 2 of them) but it's not weatherproof....

Bought that small Radio Shack brand radio in Damascus and didn't have the same fortune Slogger did. The reception was pretty poor. Granted, it's a cheap little radio, but I really couldn't catch much from it. My opinion, anyway.

SGT Rock
01-05-2005, 00:11
After much searching I couldn't find the jWin in any local stores, but I did find it on the net for $5 with free shipping here: http://www.abtelectronics.com/scripts/site/site_product.php3?id=16576&AID=5470160&PID=1376020&setflag=1104898138

So I just ordered one as well as 16 AAA Lithium batteries for about half of what I would have paid at Radio Shack for the same amount. Thanks for the help ya'll, hopefully the cheaper jWin will work for me, if not it is only $5 wasted.

minnesotasmith
01-05-2005, 08:48
What are those "weather radios" I keep hearing about? Are they FM, AM, or what?

As I am likely to be doing some AT section hiking in the winter, being able to easily pick up on weather fronts moving in would be more than desirable, even considerably safer.

ed bell
01-05-2005, 10:21
Minn- the National Weather Service provides local weather info and updates though the use of six frequencies with various coverage areas. They are not on the AM or FM scale. The frequencies are 162.425MHz, 162.450MHz, 162.400MHz, 162.475MHz, 162.525MHz and 162.550MHz. These are used everywhere in the U.S. I am noticing that radios are now including these frequencies along with AM and FM reception. My weather radio is unfortunatly just a weather radio. Too heavy for backpacking unless conditions are such that I would like to use it. I have been looking for a lightweight radio that included the weather radio feature.

Fiddleback
01-05-2005, 11:15
Reference my post on 2 Jan about the portable XM satellite radio...

I posted on another site that this radio should have the same reception characteristics as a GPS locater, i.e., reception would not have the distance and terrain limitations of terrestrial broadcast radio (although terrain effects GPS satellite too). While I still think this is true, it was pointed out (I was gently corrected :o ) that the XM broadcast only covers the continental U.S. and offshore waters. No Alaska or Hawaii reception. And, while border areas of Canada can receive the broadcasts, XM is not licensed for Canada.

FB

Mountain Dew
01-08-2005, 02:31
A company called "lids" makes a radio with a hat clip that weighs in at 1 ounce and that is with a battery. It is FM only but is one ounce and the size of a thick silver dollar.

SGT Rock
01-08-2005, 09:08
Does it use one of those flat batteries? I already have one of those but I am not happy with it.

Mountain Dew
01-09-2005, 03:47
No, it used 10 D cell battery's. :rolleyes: o.k. yeah it takes a flat one, but it picks up station quit well.

grrickar
01-09-2005, 15:31
Is it just me or have radio stations seriously went downhill? More commercials, stupid morning shows, less music, etc.

For that reason I think I'll invest in a MP3 player. If found that the Creative Labs Zen Micro weighs 3.8 oz, has a FM tuner if I want to bother, and holds 5GB of music. It also features a built-in voice recorder for keeping a journal, and features a sleep/wake function that will slowly lower the volume and turn the player off as you drift off to sleep, and will wake you in the morning.

The one issue with them now is that they just came out and they are pricy. That should change soon since the new thing with handheld players is video. As demand for the video-capable players goes up, interest (and prices) of the audio-only devices will drop.
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=10795

cyclocrosser
01-10-2005, 17:22
Forget the radio, you won't get good reception on a light weight one any way. Go with a Mini iPod, you can store over 300 songs and it is light. But if you are looking for the weather you might be better off becoming a meteorologist.

cyclocrosser
01-10-2005, 17:37
Forget the radio, you won't get good reception on a light weight one any way. Go with a Mini iPod, you can store over 300 songs and it is light. But if you are looking for the weather you might be better off becoming a meteorologist.

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 17:55
Forget the radio, you won't get good reception on a light weight one any way. Go with a Mini iPod, you can store over 300 songs and it is light. But if you are looking for the weather you might be better off becoming a meteorologist.=========================
Guess your choice of listening pleasure kinda dicates what you carry ...but I disagree about the reception. I carried a little weatherproof (Radio Shack) radio that hooked onto my sternum strap. I can't recall a time when I wasn't able to dial in at least one station. I liked the variety and the occasional news/sports or weather report.

'Slogger
AT 2003