PDA

View Full Version : Found a really good trail coffee.

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 19:10
For those, like me, that can't start the day without a cup of joe, or two, or three..

I consider coffee a luxury trail item that I refuse to leave behind. Being a coffee fan(atic) I had considered instant but couldn't swallow the Sanka flavor. I had also considered the little "starbuck's" instant packs, but couldn't swallow the cost. Yes, its cheaper than buying it at the counter but $3/3 cups a day is a bit expensive when you consider a thru-hike. I also looked at camping pots, french presses, filters, screens but can't deal with the added weight/bulk.

I found a delicious alternative. Great flavor and even better price. Community Coffee (a staple brand in Louisiana) has their New Orleans flavor in instant form for about $6/container. The 7oz container makes 20 STRONG cups or 30 normal cups of coffee. Bringing the average cost to about $.25/cup.

If you are interested here is the link.... New Orleans Blendhttp://communitycoffee.com/product/Our-Traditional-Coffee/Instant/7oz-New-Orleans-Blend-Instant-Coffee

Medium Roast... http://communitycoffee.com/product/Our-Traditional-Coffee/Instant/7oz-Medium-Roast-Instant-Coffee

Decaf... http://communitycoffee.com/product/Our-Traditional-Coffee/Instant/7oz-Decaffeinated-Instant-Coffee

If you sign up for their emails (about 1 email or less per week) they run free shipping promos all the time.

On another note, I plan to mix my coffee/creamer/sweetener proportionately for a simple spoon and stir mix as well as to cut down on trash and packaging weight.

Your thoughts and comments?..................

ShoelessWanderer
01-25-2011, 19:29
Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to check them out! You're right, Starbucks is WAY too expensive.

Mrs Baggins
01-25-2011, 19:55
I like Java Juice. I don't need to have super strong coffee, so I can easily get two full cups from one packet of regular coffee, making it .50/cup or less, depending on the deals I can find on Amazon. It's real concentrated perked coffee liquid, not instant granules or powder. I don't use cream or sugar.

couscous
01-25-2011, 20:10
I carry Maxwell House coffee singles (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxwell-House-Instant-Bags-19-Ct-Coffee-Singles-3-oz/10292616) .. cheap, light, better than instant.

10-K
01-25-2011, 20:24
I carry Maxwell House coffee singles (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Maxwell-House-Instant-Bags-19-Ct-Coffee-Singles-3-oz/10292616) .. cheap, light, better than instant.

Folgers Singles here.. As good as I've been able to find for the woods.

I premix instant creamer and sugar - if I have extra I dump some in my oatmeal. :)

BTW, it doesn't matter how good the coffee is, instant creamer will screw it up. Folger's Single and instant creamer is about the perfect ratio of good/bad.. If I paid any more for the coffee it'd just be throwing money way. Kinda like mixing good whiskey with diet coke. :)

Hikes in Rain
01-25-2011, 20:26
I bring (brought?? Haven't hiked in forever!) my fresh roasted, fresh ground (sometimes on the trail with my little Campmore grinder) coffee, made into Cowboy coffee. Oh, baby, that's good coffee.

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 20:33
I have had (and do like) Cowboy/iron man coffee. I just never liked the appearance as if I had ridden a Harley through a swarm of gnats while smiling. :D

wornoutboots
01-25-2011, 20:35
FYI- Remember if your ever are between Hot Springs & Erwin & get a hankerin for some fresh Joe, Hemlock Hollow has about 100 flavors of fresh coffee, ground to your specs + 50 or more teas

skinewmexico
01-25-2011, 20:38
I think if you make coffee for people who don't like the taste of coffee by using sweetner/creamer, you're not a coffee fanatic. Ha! :banana

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 20:39
Didn't know that. Thanks for the great tip, boots!

10-K
01-25-2011, 20:40
I think if you make coffee for people who don't like the taste of coffee by using sweetner/creamer, you're not a coffee fanatic. Ha! :banana
Half and half w/ real sugar for me. :)

Hikes in Rain
01-25-2011, 21:15
I have had (and do like) Cowboy/iron man coffee. I just never liked the appearance as if I had ridden a Harley through a swarm of gnats while smiling. :D

Can't argue with that! :) But it sure does taste good. And since I brush after breakfast and coffee.....

SawnieRobertson
01-25-2011, 21:35
For those, like me, that can't start the day without a cup of joe, or two, or three..

I consider coffee a luxury trail item that I refuse to leave behind. Being a coffee fan(atic) I had considered instant but couldn't swallow the Sanka flavor. I had also considered the little "starbuck's" instant packs, but couldn't swallow the cost. Yes, its cheaper than buying it at the counter but $3/3 cups a day is a bit expensive when you consider a thru-hike. I also looked at camping pots, french presses, filters, screens but can't deal with the added weight/bulk.

I found a delicious alternative. Great flavor and even better price. Community Coffee (a staple brand in Louisiana) has their New Orleans flavor in instant form for about $6/container. The 7oz container makes 20 STRONG cups or 30 normal cups of coffee. Bringing the average cost to about $.25/cup.

If you are interested here is the link.... New Orleans Blendhttp://communitycoffee.com/product/Our-Traditional-Coffee/Instant/7oz-New-Orleans-Blend-Instant-Coffee

Thank you for this very important thread. Coffee . . . good coffee . . . is the secret to beginning the day with a happy outlook regardless of what the outlook is on the trail. In 1999 I went decaf and no coffee at all. I hiked like a zombie, which definitely is not a lively way to trek on. Then somehwere along the way, I discovered the Folgers packets. I'd use two per cup. Still they were insipid cups of coffee.

I like mine black and strong. So, when trying to solve the dilemma of how to ENJOY my morning shot of caffeine, I have been considering if I could stand instant as opposed to freeze dried. I have considered taking regualr grind with filters. That's too much trouble when one is trying to get going on down the trail. Then there is Kona freeze dried. That I am going to research.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? If one can, And I'll give your brand a try too.

--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
01-25-2011, 21:38
Also, I have considered green tea.--Kinnickinic

Jedeye
01-25-2011, 22:55
One thing I have tried and enjoyed off trail(havenot had the chance to take it with me yet) is chocolate dipped coffee beans. The beans are dry and lite, plus no fuel/ water needed to brew. Still need to field-test this.

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 22:59
Wonder if I chewed up those coffee beans, poured hot water in my mouth, and swished a little if it would make fresh coffee?

Carbo
01-25-2011, 23:11
Strong and hot... coffee and the women :)

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 23:27
Ground-up and in the freezer! Thats how I like to store mine....... coffee & women also!

CajunHiker
01-26-2011, 00:12
Community Coffee, can't start the day without it.

budforester
01-26-2011, 00:35
I found a delicious alternative. Great flavor and even better price. Community Coffee (a staple brand in Louisiana) has their New Orleans flavor in instant form .... On another note, I plan to mix my coffee/creamer/sweetener proportionately for a simple spoon and stir mix as well as to cut down on trash and packaging weight.

Community coffee is certainly a staple at my house; but no chickory, please. And I prefer it black. Since you are making a mix anyway, in a previous life I liked a French roast mix from GF for my camping:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Foods_International

mweinstone
01-26-2011, 02:35
any coffie with anything in it or black or strong or weak or crap or best or large or small or now or then,.....is fine.

i make cowboy unfiltered black. the way mala taught me.

amac
01-26-2011, 03:27
I've tried Folger's singles, Via, GF Internationals, and others. The only thing I've found that I enjoy is fresh brewed on the trail. I use a holder for the paper filters, and just pour hot water. I agree with Sawnie, this method takes a bit longer than one of the instant options, but I don't go to the woods so I can rush. I enjoy taking my time in all aspects of the hike.

daddytwosticks
01-26-2011, 08:28
Alternate between Java Juice, Starbuck's instant, and plain old Maxwell House instant. Any coffee fix on the trail will do. I have also mixed instant, sugar, and powdered creamer together into individual servings...I believe someone on this forum once refered to them as "coffee bombs"! :)

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 08:44
Coffee, GOOD coffee, is the one thing I refuse to give up, so I am very interested in everyone's experiences with different coffees on the trail. Car camping I use a french press but backpacking I do the funnel with a filter trick and it always seems to work well. My husband has been playing around with the Keurig k-cups to see if I could use them in an effective way, but so far, I think I'm just going to stick with the funnel.

Odd Man Out
01-26-2011, 10:31
Coffee, GOOD coffee, is the one thing I refuse to give up, so I am very interested in everyone's experiences with different coffees on the trail. Car camping I use a french press but backpacking I do the funnel with a filter trick and it always seems to work well. My husband has been playing around with the Keurig k-cups to see if I could use them in an effective way, but so far, I think I'm just going to stick with the funnel.

I got a 3 "cup" Bialetti Moka pot for Christmas. It is essentially a stove top espresso maker (although not technically espresso, it is pretty close). Water goes in the bottom, coffee grounds in the middle, brewed coffee collects in the top. It occurred to me I could adapt it for trail use. I made a hardware cloth pot stand, aluminum flashing wind screen, and foil heat reflector base that fits in the top compartment. A zip lock baggie of espresso roast coffee stores in the bottom. A tea light alcohol stove fits in the middle. It is a self contained system for coffee snobs that weight 14 oz (Alcohol bottle, fuel, coffee cup, matches not included). A full pot makes 6 oz. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the trail yet, but it works in the kitchen. Tea light stove still needs tweeking (burns too hot and fast). May switch to a mini-penny stove.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 10:51
I got a 3 "cup" Bialetti Moka pot for Christmas. It is essentially a stove top espresso maker (although not technically espresso, it is pretty close). Water goes in the bottom, coffee grounds in the middle, brewed coffee collects in the top. It occurred to me I could adapt it for trail use. I made a hardware cloth pot stand, aluminum flashing wind screen, and foil heat reflector base that fits in the top compartment. A zip lock baggie of espresso roast coffee stores in the bottom. A tea light alcohol stove fits in the middle. It is a self contained system for coffee snobs that weight 14 oz (Alcohol bottle, fuel, coffee cup, matches not included). A full pot makes 6 oz. Haven't had a chance to try it out on the trail yet, but it works in the kitchen. Tea light stove still needs tweeking (burns too hot and fast). May switch to a mini-penny stove.

I just Googled the pot and several stores in my area have them in stock ranging from $13 -$24 dollars. I am about to copy you, my new friend! But I promise I will give you credit. ;) I am going to stop by and pick one up today and see what I can fashion for myself. Thank you! :banana

jcazz
01-26-2011, 11:16
generic NoDoz -cheapest, lightest, fastest way to get your "fix".

Farr Away
01-26-2011, 14:00
Thank you for the link! I like Cafe du Monde, but the price per can has gotten out of my budget. I also prefer whole bean coffee, and I saw ground chicory on the site, so ...

-FA

Kimmee
02-02-2011, 06:51
Gipsy,

I did a section hike this past October and I thought for sure I would not make it without my several cups of coffee on the trail. I used the Starbuck's Via with splenda packets and non-dairy creamer. I am not sure I could part with my daily cup of coffee and especially since I am a night owl and so not a morning person from all my years of working the night shift.

I am planning my thru hike for next year Spring 2012 and section hiking weeks at a time this year to hone the little details out and I think there are just some things that you make time/money for and my coffee would be one of them. I will most definitely check out the sites and yes cost is one thing to look at but I would rather have a good cup of coffee and pay slight;y more than to have a cheaper non satisfying version!

daddytwosticks
02-02-2011, 08:22
Just me, but if I were seriously thinking about a thru-hike, I'd probably try to kick the caffiene habit. I'd still ensure I had some hot drinks to enjoy, though...:)

Farr Away
02-04-2011, 09:40
Today only, Amazon has a deal on 50-count packs of Starbucks Via: http://www.amazon.com/Starbucks-Coffee-Colombia-3-3-Gram-Packages/dp/B00438XVGU/ref=pe_108040_18723410_as_txt_1/

the goat
02-04-2011, 09:52
coffee ceases to be coffee when you add cream, milk, sugar, sweetner to it. you're drinking some sort of coffee by-product.

coffee is meant to be enjoyed as it is, i don't understand why so many insist on ruining it.

hikerboy57
02-04-2011, 09:58
I took a 2cup coffee press with me on a weeklong section hike, found it almost impossible to keep clean. Last year I switched to starbucks Via. Its not great, but pretty decent, and a lot less messy.

mykl
02-07-2011, 01:51
I recently got the MSR coffee filter. It was more than I cared to pay for it, $12 or so, but it makes good coffee.
I've tried instant and singles and they just don't cut it. I actually think I would prefer instant over the singles, if I had to.
On short trips, I take a bunch of Mini Moo's. Their just like the little creamer cups you get at a diner but they don't need to be refrigerated.
Coffee is very important for me.

10-K
02-07-2011, 08:29
I recently got the MSR coffee filter. It was more than I cared to pay for it, $12 or so, but it makes good coffee.
I've tried instant and singles and they just don't cut it. I actually think I would prefer instant over the singles, if I had to.
On short trips, I take a bunch of Mini Moo's. Their just like the little creamer cups you get at a diner but they don't need to be refrigerated.
Coffee is very important for me.

Yep, I bought one of the these http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/cookware-accessories/mugmate-coffee/tea-filter/product and coffee problem is now solved! I used it on our Foothills Trail hike and was very pleased with it.

Uses the same coffee that we use with the coffeemaker at home, no trash to carry, cleans up easy and makes a cup of coffee that tastes like real coffee. Plus, you can use as little or as much coffee as you want making a strong or weaker cup of coffee. I like my coffee strong, my son likes his weaker. With pre-measured or packetized coffee you're stuck with what they consider a serving size.

TheYoungOne
02-11-2011, 12:49
I like Via Italian Roast because it is really strong, but I hate how the last ounce of it has all those grounds no matter how much you stir.

surferjeff
02-11-2011, 13:37
I've been using 2 coffee bag singles per cup and it's left my coffee weak. I'm searching for one of those balls that you use to seep loose leaf, it would work great if the holes in it aren't too big. Has anyone tried that? The aluminum ball would weigh grams and then the weight of coffee is dependant upon your habit.

Gipsy
02-11-2011, 14:26
I've been using 2 coffee bag singles per cup and it's left my coffee weak. I'm searching for one of those balls that you use to seep loose leaf, it would work great if the holes in it aren't too big. Has anyone tried that? The aluminum ball would weigh grams and then the weight of coffee is dependant upon your habit.

I had considered one of those but decided against it due to the cleaning (or mess due to lack there of).

What I did find was an odd contraption, at a yard sale, that would work great instead of the "filter ball". I'm sure it was designed for tea but the concept is the same for coffee. It is spoon shaped with a spring-loaded handle. Imagine 2 spoons facing each other, drilled with a bunch of tiny holes. You scoop up the coffee and just stir. I'll try to post a pic of it in a bit. (see first 3 photos in link)

http://s1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc520/kevinthenurse/?action=view&current=photo.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs12 15.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fcc520%2Fkevinthenurs e%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dphoto-2.jpg

surferjeff
02-11-2011, 14:59
I actually used to have one of those and where the 'two spoons' come together wasn't a true fit and would loose lots of coffee grounds through the opening. I, too, picked mine up 2nd hand so I'm not sure if it was designed that way or bent.

DripDry
02-11-2011, 14:59
Stabucks VIA every morning- damn the cost.

Its the only thing I have tried that tastes like coffee and doesn't require gadgets (they work- just take too much effort and water to clean). CostCo carries VIA here and really drives the cost down when bought in bulk.

Gipsy
02-11-2011, 15:06
I actually used to have one of those and where the 'two spoons' come together wasn't a true fit and would loose lots of coffee grounds through the opening. I, too, picked mine up 2nd hand so I'm not sure if it was designed that way or bent.

Mine seals well. one of the spoons has a "lip" on the edge that the other seats into.

It was an impulse purchase, but I later decided to go with the instant Community Coffee brand. (faster, easier, great taste, no additional equipment, no clean-up)

middle to middle
02-11-2011, 16:55
Water can sometimes be not the best and add a flavor that is not so good. I always filter the water.

RockDoc
02-12-2011, 23:52
Starbuck's Via is the solution for me, at least for hiking.
Otherwise it is French Press.
A Via packet is small, light, and makes quite a lot (16 oz) of reasonably good, strong coffee. Buy it in bulk and the cost is not so bad.

I never drink it Regular (as New Yorkers say). That means with cream and sugar.
It's straight up for me.

Dirty Nails
03-03-2011, 16:13
I use this because it's coffee, sugar, and creamer all in one packet...Praise the Lord!!!!!!!!
http://www.bonoble.com/
It tastes pretty good. If you take it with cream & sugar, you'll like it.
I've only tried the original flavor, and it is probably like a medium blend. I use 2 packets for a 10oz cup.
It can't be beat for easy and convienient!
I found it at the Dollar Tree, but haven't seen it there lately.
To me, carrying extra equipment is too much trouble.

Dirty Nails
03-03-2011, 16:26
I just discovered they offer a bold flavor. Select their "premium" blend on the left-side screen menu.
http://www.bonoble.com/

daddytwosticks
03-03-2011, 17:17
Very cool, Dirty Nails. I'll definitely be on the lookout for these. Thanks. :)

Papa D
03-03-2011, 21:44
I've had the community coffee - wouldn't turn down a cup and yes, a few VIAs are always in my basement ready to pack, but the BEST trail coffee (for me) is THIS:

www.medagliadoro.com/instant-coffee-mix.htm

un- freaking believable!

amac
03-04-2011, 07:19
This is a funny thread, if you go back and look at how devoted we all are to our morning beverage. It's fresh brewed for me. I've tried all the other options, and I've concluded that I am simply a coffee snob. I use this thing.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/resources/images/cache/pdp/resources/images/product_images/79480_h1_g-486x376.jpg

Roots
03-04-2011, 09:35
as much as I hate to admit it, because I am not a Starbucks fan--I love my local coffee houses much more--I do like Starbucks instant individuals. VERY yummy on the trail. I like all the flavor options as well. Hate the price, but to me coffee is my luxary item.

sheepdog
03-04-2011, 12:38
All instant coffee is just nasty....it's an insult to humanity.

sorry.....it had to be said.

greginmi
03-05-2011, 09:20
as much as I hate to admit it, because I am not a Starbucks fan--I love my local coffee houses much more--I do like Starbucks instant individuals. VERY yummy on the trail. I like all the flavor options as well. Hate the price, but to me coffee is my luxary item.

Look on Amazon or go to your local COSTCO. You can get VIA down to around $0.65 per packet, if you buy in quantity. Also, I've been seeing some pretty good VIA coupons in the newspaper that work out to a reasonable cost per packet when you buy the 8 straw box at Walmart.

As you can guess, I like my VIA too.

2 straws of Colombian in the morning get the day off to a good start. :sun

YMMV.

Regards,
Greg

Surplusman
03-06-2011, 07:20
This is a funny thread, if you go back and look at how devoted we all are to our morning beverage. It's fresh brewed for me. I've tried all the other options, and I've concluded that I am simply a coffee snob. I use this thing.

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/resources/images/cache/pdp/resources/images/product_images/79480_h1_g-486x376.jpg
Nice! Where did you get this, and how much? I have the one similar to this but it's just too big in my opinion to backpack. I make cowboy coffee and Greek coffee when I backpack, but once in a while I'd like my coffee without the grounds.

doritotex
03-06-2011, 10:50
If you look on the box of Maxwell House and Folgers coffee singles, they list the one of the ingredients as "instant coffee". All they did was put instant coffee in "tea" bag and call them "singles". If you think it is better than instant, it is all in your head, they have done a great job marketing instant coffee to people who don't like instant coffee!!

Mongoose2
03-06-2011, 10:59
Dirty Nails; you can find the Mazel coffee at a Korean chain called "Hmart or Super Hmart" check at Hmart.com

I am going to try the Mazel brand as I also struggle to find good trail coffee....thanks for the recommendation!

Mongoose2
03-06-2011, 11:00
I find the Maxwell house singles to be too weak.....agree it's just weak instant coffee

wanderluster
03-07-2011, 16:50
I've been struggling with the idea of starbucks too. Thank you thank you thank you.

Harrison Bergeron
03-07-2011, 18:41
I got excited about this thing:
http://www.rei.com/product/401153

But it was a bust. It clogs instantly on any coffee I've tried it with, regardless of grind. But at least it's only 1.5 oz (as opposed to 4.5oz for that GSI gadget the other guy posted).

I haven't tried using it with a regular filter. Maybe that's the solution, but I hate to have to carry a bunch of cone filters in addition to it. I might as well just bring the filters and leave the gadget at home!

I also tried the REI coffee press/mug. It made great coffee, but it needed 2.5 TABLESPOONS PER CUP! Good, grief! You'd need a whole can of coffee every week.

Penguin
03-07-2011, 19:09
Ok so I've been working at Starbuck's on and off for 14 yrs, and this may sound like blasphemy I know, but why not ditch the coffee for a caffiene pill like NoDoz? We all drink coffee for the drug effect right? That's the point I think. Sure it tastes lovely and all, but so does Filet Mignon and we don't usually eat that on trail. One No Doz pill has 200 mg of caffiene, a Venti Coffee at Starbucks has 170 mg of caffiene. You can break that in half for a 100mg equal to about a cup and a half of joe. Caffiene pills are cheaper then coffee, and a ton lighter, plus they save you so much time in the morning. Incidental weight savings on Fuel, cup, and water are also gained. Coffee itself is heavy. Some people waste weight also on french presses or coffee filters in little plastic caddies. If you got to get high on the bean, why not just make it cowboy style. You get perfect groundless coffee without the weight of a French Press.

Oh you think cowboy just means its strong? Silly You!!!
To make Cowboy coffee, boil water in your cook pot, turn off the flame, throw in the grounds, stir, wait four minutes, stir, sprinkle a little cold water on top of the pot from a water bottle, tap the side of the pot 3 or 4 times with your hiking pole, then Wallah!!! All the grounds immediately fall to the bottom, and you can pour off awesome tasting brew.

NesCafe takes the cake for instant coffee for sure.

Oh and the caffiene pills are really cool, because you can wake up, pop the pill go back to sleep for 15 minutes, then come flying awake ready to begin your day.

I like to break mine in half and take half in the morn then half around 2PM when i start losing energy. On PCT I got about 15 hikers around me to all switch to NoDoz or a Generic like Stay Awake. Awesome times. I don't like the super generic KMart brand, Sky Rockets though. They seem to be a little weak and not as effective as the name brand.

Skidsteer
03-07-2011, 19:11
Ok so I've been working at Starbuck's on and off for 14 yrs, and this may sound like blasphemy I know,

You shoulda quit right there. :D

No-Doz indeed!

Penguin
03-07-2011, 21:26
Terms, 500 mg of Caffeine and 500 Mg of Ibuprofen= "Baja" Tatu-Joe
200 mg of Caffeine washed down with a cup of coffee = "Eisenhower" my term

Go to the store and get some No Doz. Replace your morning coffee tomorrow with 1/2 of one if you just drink a cup, or a whole one if you worship the bean.

Surplusman
03-08-2011, 21:23
I got excited about this thing:
http://www.rei.com/product/401153

But it was a bust. It clogs instantly on any coffee I've tried it with, regardless of grind. But at least it's only 1.5 oz (as opposed to 4.5oz for that GSI gadget the other guy posted).

I haven't tried using it with a regular filter. Maybe that's the solution, but I hate to have to carry a bunch of cone filters in addition to it. I might as well just bring the filters and leave the gadget at home!

I also tried the REI coffee press/mug. It made great coffee, but it needed 2.5 TABLESPOONS PER CUP! Good, grief! You'd need a whole can of coffee every week.

For the REI filter, that's the one I've used for about 5 years. Yep, it will clog up, but when that happens I just gently rap my spoon a few times on the cylindrical part of the filter and that usually gets things going.

wornoutboots
03-09-2011, 13:37
Didn't know that. Thanks for the great tip, boots!

NP Gipsy. I just hiked thru that section in early December & a guy heading South to Springer named Leggs left Hemlock with 2 separate 1/2 lb bags ground to his liking, it was like Christmas came early for him! It was fun to watch!

wornoutboots
03-09-2011, 13:40
Now that I think of it, Hemlock Hollow wld probly bounce a few lbs up the trail to you, now that could be a nice reward to hike to: o )

amac
03-10-2011, 00:57
Nice! Where did you get this, and how much? I have the one similar to this but it's just too big in my opinion to backpack. I make cowboy coffee and Greek coffee when I backpack, but once in a while I'd like my coffee without the grounds.

It's a product from GSI. I got it from Eastern Mountain Sports. You can get it online at http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/collapsible_java_drip/coffee/

SunnyWalker
03-10-2011, 22:03
Tasters Choice for me. Instant and easy.

Surplusman
03-11-2011, 06:39
It's a product from GSI. I got it from Eastern Mountain Sports. You can get it online at http://www.gsioutdoors.com/products/pdp/collapsible_java_drip/coffee/

Thanks for the info! :)

Brassnut
06-26-2011, 16:59
Has anyone tried the Vietnamese G7 instant? I like them a little better than the Starbucks Instant pack; if I can’t get them then I use the Italian roast

DamnYankee
06-26-2011, 17:29
coffee ceases to be coffee when you add cream, milk, sugar, sweetner to it. you're drinking some sort of coffee by-product.

coffee is meant to be enjoyed as it is, i don't understand why so many insist on ruining it.

SALUTE, I couldn't agree more

LDog
06-26-2011, 20:12
Hello, my name is bill, and I'm a coffee addict ...

At home, I grind beans every morning and use a french press to satisfy my need. I came to this while looking for a reliable way to make good coffee on a long trek on my sailboat, and never went back. Now I'm going thru several iterations to determine how to satisfy my needs on the trail without overloading my pack. I looked at "backpackers" french presses. Even tried to tell myself that they served dual purpose as a general use pot ... Nah, way too hard to clean, and too heavy for these 50-some yo knees ...

I experimented with cowboy coffee, and can make an excellent cup by never boiling the grounds. Just put the grounds in the cup, pour boiling water over them, stir, wait 5 mins, stir the grounds to the bottom, and sip carefully. As good as french press - Except for the grounds. They're supposed to sink to the bottom, but ... So, when I saw the MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter at REI, I thought that was the solution. At 16 bucks, I thought I'd check Amazon for a cheaper price, and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Finum-Brewing-Medium-Basket-Black/dp/B000I68NCS/

Same thing at half the price! It fits right in my cup. I just follow the same routine as the cowboy coffee, and I get a great cup w/o the grounds in my coffee. Still, one has to dispose of the grounds responsibly, and that subject gets prickly. Plus, it's another thing to clean and carry.

So, I'm now in the Starbucks Via/Nescafe Taster's Choice/Java Juice packets crowd. And when it comes right down to it, I suspect the Taster's Choice will be the only reliable option to be found along the trail. If I can't find the packets, I'll buy the smallest available, and dump it into a baggie. Then I won't even have the empty packet to pack out. Probably the best ul/LNT option for a lazy coffee addict like myself.

ScottP
06-26-2011, 22:38
You could try chocolate covered espresso beans.

Sarcasm the elf
06-26-2011, 22:59
Having tried nearly all options I've settled on freeze-dried instant Maxwell House; simple to make, available at almost any resupply stop and gets the job done. On trips that are longer than an overnight I increasingly find myself skipping coffee in the morning and instead just breaking camp and walking (mostly because I shouldn't be trusted to operate an alcohol stove in the morning before I've had coffee), as an added bonus, a couple of days without caffine makes town coffee taste ten times better.

DaveSail
06-28-2011, 15:55
For those who like Chicory !!

Stovemonkey
07-24-2011, 17:48
I've heard that you can use a stocking as a coffee. I never tried it but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Skidsteer
07-24-2011, 19:09
I've heard that you can use a stocking as a coffee. I never tried it but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

I'm sure it would work fine if you really love the taste of stocking.

I'll stick with coffee myself.

Stovemonkey
07-24-2011, 19:57
like i said i never used it and I'm sure it won't impart a flavor. A friend I went to culinary school with told me that's how they brew coffee in Puerto Rico.

Stovemonkey
07-24-2011, 20:00
I meant you can use the stocking as a coffee filter.

sheepdog
07-24-2011, 20:30
Instant coffee is just nasty.

It had to be said.