PDA

View Full Version : Befriend a nurse... (they have free supplies)

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 19:35
As a fellow nurse, I would like to give a tip to other hikers...

If you know or are related to a nurse it might benefit you to ask them for some free supplies. Myself and most nurses that I know often "pocket" supplies. No, no, no.... not to steal.... only to save time at work.

Often busy nurses do this to save time at work. If we had to walk to the supply room for a single item every time someone needed little things, we would walk our self to death. To prevent this, we usually put extra items in our pockets such as alcohol pads, betadine pads, gauze wraps, non-adherant dressings, band-aids, medical tape, tylenol packets, single use antibiotic ointment, safety pins, sterile needles, steri-strips (aka butterfly strips), Ice packs (great as a light 1L water transport bag ), mini pencils, combs, etc,

When we get home we usually realize we have a couple of unused items left which either get thrown in the trash or in a drawer somewhere.

Use this to help stock your first-aid kits. I think most nurses will be glad to help, just to get that drawer cleaned out!

the goat
01-25-2011, 19:42

If you know or are related to a nurse it might benefit you to ask them for some free supplies. Myself and most nurses that I know often "pocket" supplies. No, no, no.... not to steal.... only to save time at work.

Often busy nurses do this to save time at work. If we had to walk to the supply room for a single item every time someone needed little things, we would walk our self to death. To prevent this, we usually put extra items in our pockets such as alcohol pads, betadine pads, gauze wraps, non-adherant dressings, band-aids, medical tape, tylenol packets, single use antibiotic ointment, safety pins, sterile needles, steri-strips (aka butterfly strips), Ice packs (great as a light 1L water transport bag ), mini pencils, combs, etc,

When we get home we usually realize we have a couple of unused items left which either get thrown in the trash or in a drawer somewhere.

Use this to help stock your first-aid kits. I think most nurses will be glad to help, just to get that drawer cleaned out!

now, if you only had some duct tape in that supply room, i'd be set!

my wife is a nurse, one time we brought IV bags with a group of friends when we were car camping and knew there would be a fair amount of drinking going on.

no better way to prevent a hangover in the woods!

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2011, 19:55
Good post. As an addendum to it, if you are a health practitioner of any sort, you might want to be relatively discreet about this while on the Trail as friends of mine who are physicians, nurses, therapists of one sort or another, chiropractors, masseurs, you name it, have ALL been asked at one time or another for medical advice, counsel, diagnoses, even treatment, while on their hikes. Never mind the possible legal ramifications involved, but just because you encounter someone in the medical field out there does NOT mean they either want to, or are willing to check you out, spend time with your various troubles or give you advice, anymore than encountering an accountant or attorney while out there entitles you to a free counsultation on what to do about your upcoming divorce. This being said, just abaout every medical professional I've ever met out there has always been willing to provide assistance/advice when asked, but this shouldn't be taken advantage of. People that make their living as message therapists back in the world really don't wanna spend an hour at the end of every trail day catering for free to smelly people who have somehow discovered their livelihoood. And if one of these folks is good enough to help you out, by all means make sure and buy them lunch or a beer or something when you get to town. Just keep in mind that the neck realignment or whatever they just gave you at the end of a long hiking day is a half an hour of their time that back in the world someone would have paid cash money for. The fact that someone is a health professional or practioner of some sort does NOT mean that they've hung a shingle outside their tent for anyone to call on.

Old Grouse
01-25-2011, 19:56
I guess a bank teller could save a bit of time by avoiding going to the vault for more bills!

Gipsy
01-25-2011, 20:37
My cousin is a bank teller. I need to call to see how she's been doing.:D

Gipsy
01-26-2011, 04:09
Good post. As an addendum to it, if you are a health practitioner of any sort, you might want to be relatively discreet about this while on the Trail as friends of mine who are physicians, nurses, therapists of one sort or another, chiropractors, masseurs, you name it, have ALL been asked at one time or another for medical advice, counsel, diagnoses, even treatment, while on their hikes. Never mind the possible legal ramifications involved, but just because you encounter someone in the medical field out there does NOT mean they either want to, or are willing to check you out.....

Thanks Jack, VERY insightful! Although I would never pass up a hiker that needed help with an immediate injury or emergency... I really hate it when people ask me to look at some mole (usually in an odd location) and ask stuff like "Do you think I should see a doctor about this? Do you think its malignant?" Oh, and for goodness sakes if you have to whisper your problem, or call me to a private area to tell me about it..... Skip the conversation all together and see a doctor. Last but not least, If it is stronger than Ibuprofen or tylenol.... NO! I can't help you get any on "the sly".

weary
01-26-2011, 07:35
The lightest tooth brush I've seen is the one offered to patients by Maine Medical Center, where I'm residing for a few days. Nothing serious. It is extremely light weight with a very lightweight handle that reduces the temptation to do that awkward handle amputation.

Kerosene
01-26-2011, 07:51
The lightest tooth brush I've seen is the one offered to patients by Maine Medical Center, where I'm residing for a few days. Nothing serious. It is extremely light weight with a very lightweight handle that reduces the temptation to do that awkward handle amputation.Clearly backpacking changes one's brain patterns. I'll bet that very few patients think about how they might re-purpose lightweight items like this!

Hope you're back home soon, Weary.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 08:32
As an addendum to it, if you are a health practitioner of any sort, you might want to be relatively discreet about this while on the Trail

I'm a nurse (actually a legal nurse so I get both the medical and the legal questions from others), and I'll befriend anyone, but don't go asking for my supplies or for a check-up on the trail. I'm not out there to work or take care of anyone but myself and my kid (although I would never ignore someone in distress). :) The supply tip is good though. It is how I stock my SAR kit. :)

chiefiepoo
01-26-2011, 09:51
I'm a retired paramedic. I still have access to "training consumables" from my at work buds. Like other health care workers I carry a way too heavy first aid kit that gets frequent use. If your neighbor works in ems or at the fd, chances are s/he has a stash too.

Fiddleback
01-26-2011, 11:18
Super tip! I've always been too hesitant to directly shoplift from REI so this is great. A minor transgression made even less so by getting someone else to do it...

FB:rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2011, 11:24
i was sitting at the loft mtn. campground gate house 99' i think
getting ready to stick my knife into a large blister on my heel. when i heard a woman scream out don't! i looked up it was a lady approaching me. she said ''i wish you wouldn't do that'' and then she went to her car came back, fixed me up very nice and sent me on my way with extra supplies. that was very nice of her.
she explained she was a nurse

jrwiesz
01-26-2011, 12:19
Right; one could probably start a cottage industry, selling first aide kits. :eek:

fredmugs
01-26-2011, 12:23
I love (female) nurses but not for any reasons related to hiking.

elray
01-26-2011, 12:35
This thread could be expanded to include a lot of other professions. Personally I'm looking for a woman who is also an Outfitter, unfortunately Laura in Harper's Ferry is already married.

fehchet
01-26-2011, 12:55
An employee found stealing has always been fired in the businesses I have owned and run during my lifetime. It is called theft, whether they have several bandages and a roll of medical tape or a turkey sub in their pocket. Plain and simple.
My children's mother who has worked in the medical business all her life I have never seen bring product home from her job.
Blows my mind.

Sickmont
01-26-2011, 13:08
I love (female) nurses but not for any reasons related to hiking.

Gives a whole new meaning to "head nurse", doesn't it?

Smile
01-26-2011, 13:12
Taking things from the workplace without paying for them is stealing. Doesn't matter who or the profession.

Anyone who 'befriends' another to encourage them to steal for them is no friend.

We can all do better than this, get your own gear :)

weary
01-26-2011, 13:55
Taking things from the workplace without paying for them is stealing. Doesn't matter who or the profession.

Anyone who 'befriends' another to encourage them to steal for them is no friend.

Well I seem to end up in the hospital every few years. When leaving I look over whatever was issued at admission for my personal use. The nurses say that whatever I leave behind when I leave will be thrown away.

So I take whatever that mght be useful at home or on the trail, like that toothbrush. I can hardly wait to try it out on Katahdin next summer. It will easily reduce my pack weight by at least a fraction of a gram.

Perhaps nurses can mine the stuff left behind by patients. Then it's not snitching, but reducing the burden on solid waste facilities. I've noticed also that stuff falls on the floor in hospitals all the time. It happened just this morning. The nursed dropped her roll of tape on the floor, picked it up, and threw it in the trash. I promptly rescued it and placed the tape in my stash to take home.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 14:21

As a VOLUNTEER sexual assault nurse examiner who is also on my county's search and rescue squad, I never steal anything. I am often given BOXES AND BOXES of supplies by the clinic/hospital because they changed what they are using, want to donate to our SAR team, etc. I wouldn't call a roll of tape in my pocket stealing nor would I say that by my grabbing a few things from the donated supplies is stealing either. They were given to me to use however I see fit. If a few bandaids/gauze/etc. packets make it to my pack, I am pretty sure I have committed no crime.

Gipsy
01-26-2011, 14:56
Anyone who 'befriends' another to encourage them to steal for them is no friend. We can all do better than this, get your own gear :)

Before this "Stealing thing" goes any further let me clarify the situation.......

A hospital's supply room is considered a "clean" environment. Once I tried to return a bunch of the stuff I had collected over time. My manager said, "Throw all that away. We can't use it because we don't know where it has been. When I explained it was in an unused drawer, she still said, "trash it". So I really don't see the big deal about utilizing something that was going to be thrown away.

I do not condone theft nor have I ever taken anything intentionally for my own use. I don't sneak in under the cover of darkness and raid the supply room. I also have not seen anyone convicted for forgetting to leave that pen at work or using a post-it note to write down a personal message.

If you want to point your finger at thieves call your health insurance company's CEO

Sickmont
01-26-2011, 15:10
A hospital's supply room is considered a "clean" environment. Once I tried to return a bunch of the stuff I had collected over time. My manager said, "Throw all that away. We can't use it because we don't know where it has been. When I explained it was in an unused drawer, she still said, "trash it". So I really don't see the big deal about utilizing something that was going to be thrown away.

Seriously, why waste it and pollute the environment at the same time? I'd do the same thing as you.

If you want to point your finger at thieves call your health insurance company's CEO

Damn right!

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 15:13
If this was Facebook, I would be hitting 'Like", Gipsy. :) Yep and yep to what you said. Unclean doesn't get to go back in, no matter where it was; pocket, tray table, floor. Once out, it's trash.

chief
01-26-2011, 15:34
As a VOLUNTEER sexual assault nurse examiner who is also on my county's search and rescue squad, I never steal anything. I am often given BOXES AND BOXES of supplies by the clinic/hospital because they changed what they are using, want to donate to our SAR team, etc. I wouldn't call a roll of tape in my pocket stealing nor would I say that by my grabbing a few things from the donated supplies is stealing either. They were given to me to use however I see fit. If a few bandaids/gauze/etc. packets make it to my pack, I am pretty sure I have committed no crime.Really, why so defensive? Especially since no one has accused you of anything.

Pommes
01-26-2011, 15:41
I still get healthcare from Tricare (Military). I go in and tell them im thru hiking the AT and the doctor gives me a free bottle of painkillers, antibiotics, and an antiinflammitory. Also the nice lady at the self referral counter gave me an awesome blister kit, an ace bandage, and a cold and flu kit. I love Universal healthcare.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 15:44
Really, why so defensive? Especially since no one has accused you of anything.

Because it came off accusatory.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 16:04
So, I can't edit my last post, but I want to add that I did go back and read my previous, and you are right, it did come off defensive. I read the prior as being an accusatory post when in reality it wasn't directed at either Gipsy or I, more of a general comment. I should not Whiteblaze from work, especially after my blood is already boiling from a lying client and when I haven't eaten all day; it makes me speak when I shouldn't. That said, I apologize. I'm not trying to be witchy with a 'b', I just read that at the wrong time and in turn ran off at the mouth (fingertips). Once again, I'm sorry.

Gipsy
01-26-2011, 16:06
The comment "Theft is theft" was accusing me of stealing for my personal needs. I'm not upset, I just didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

Actually, I was considering hitting up all my nurse friends for their excess stuff and putting some free kits together for hikers.

Any comments?

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 16:12
I think making kits up is a great idea. I will be willing to donate what I have to your cause. :)

Pommes
01-26-2011, 16:19
The comment "Theft is theft" was accusing me of stealing for my personal needs. I'm not upset, I just didn't want anyone getting the wrong idea.

Actually, I was considering hitting up all my nurse friends for their excess stuff and putting some free kits together for hikers.

Any comments?

If your gonna do that make it for the homeless. Hikers should be able to find/buy there own boo boo kit.

max patch
01-26-2011, 16:21

Care to back up that statement?

max patch
01-26-2011, 16:22

if your gonna do that make it for the homeless. Hikers should be able to find/buy there own boo boo kit.

+1

Blissful
01-26-2011, 16:29
Before this "Stealing thing" goes any further let me clarify the situation.......

Great, here we go politico.

This will get closed soon...

Blissful
01-26-2011, 16:34
If this was Facebook, I would be hitting 'Like", Gipsy. :) Yep and yep to what you said. Unclean doesn't get to go back in, no matter where it was; pocket, tray table, floor. Once out, it's trash.

Then one should watch how much is put into pockets on duty to minimize heath costs. Its actually amazing, really, how much is charged for some of that stuff to the insurance companies. I was shocked when I saw it with my last surgery.

(BTW I am also a registered nurse)

fiddlehead
01-26-2011, 16:41
What do you need anyway? Some duct tape and a needle and dental floss.
I doubt they're throwing out bee sting kits or drugs.

Blissful
01-26-2011, 16:42
Well I seem to end up in the hospital every few years. When leaving I look over whatever was issued at admission for my personal use. The nurses say that whatever I leave behind when I leave will be thrown away.

So I take whatever that mght be useful at home or on the trail, like that toothbrush.

That's different. You (or your insurance or medicare) paid for the wash basin emesis basin and toothbrush. You should take it, its yours.

max patch
01-26-2011, 16:48

I'm curious what adjective you would use to describe the hospital's CEO who charges $18 for 1 baby aspirin...

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 16:57
Then one should watch how much is put into pockets on duty to minimize heath costs. Its actually amazing, really, how much is charged for some of that stuff to the insurance companies. I was shocked when I saw it with my last surgery.

(BTW I am also a registered nurse)

I agree. Don't grab it if you don't need it, because someone, somewhere is getting charged for it.

Regarding giving the supplies to the homeless in an earlier post: I know that many of the shelters, soup kitchens and clinics in my area already have made-up kits for the homeless as well as those who just can't afford bandages and other first aid items. It gets done on a much larger scale than a sole person making up kits and giving them out wherever they encounter a homeless person could ever do.

Pommes
01-26-2011, 17:18
I agree. Don't grab it if you don't need it, because someone, somewhere is getting charged for it.

Regarding giving the supplies to the homeless in an earlier post: I know that many of the shelters, soup kitchens and clinics in my area already have made-up kits for the homeless as well as those who just can't afford bandages and other first aid items. It gets done on a much larger scale than a sole person making up kits and giving them out wherever they encounter a homeless person could ever do.

You obviously dont volunteer at to many homeless shelters. If you did you would know that you're completely wrong. I volunteer at several homeless shelters i the Augusta/ Atlanta area. Some very close to where you live. About 90% of what they get is from private single party donations. So most places like http://www.gardencityrescuemission.com/ do not have any medical supplies on hand. None. They are lucky if they can serve more hen one meal a day.

BTW the above link is only one of two shelters that are still open in Augusta (second largest city in GA). The others have closed down because they didnt have enough money to keep the lights on. Everyday they turn away dozens of people due to lack of beds and food. Some of them with little girls.

Yes one single donation will help. Your attitude is why the other shelters are now closed.

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 17:32
I am not trying to start an argument here and obviously everything I am saying is coming off wrong. I didn't say all homeless shelters have that, and not at all times do they have it, just like food kitchens don't always have fresh bread, but I do know that my other nurse friends in the Wellstar system (I don't work with them, I just know of their efforts) routinely make up kits and drop them off at Must Ministries, Elizabeth Inn and a few others that I won't name because they are meant to be private because of safety concerns (women & children only shelters). No one has money these days, every single place that offers assistance needs as much help as it can get; financially and in time. No, I am not routinely volunteering at the shelter, I am busy volunteering where my skills are better used. And you know nothing about my attitude or what I donate financially or in supplies each year. My husband actually refers to me as a bleeding heart conservative, so I think I am okay with what I do. HYOH, LYOL.

Pommes
01-26-2011, 17:47
I am not trying to start an argument here and obviously everything I am saying is coming off wrong. I didn't say all homeless shelters have that, and not at all times do they have it, just like food kitchens don't always have fresh bread, but I do know that my other nurse friends in the Wellstar system (I don't work with them, I just know of their efforts) routinely make up kits and drop them off at Must Ministries, Elizabeth Inn and a few others that I won't name because they are meant to be private because of safety concerns (women & children only shelters). No one has money these days, every single place that offers assistance needs as much help as it can get; financially and in time. No, I am not routinely volunteering at the shelter, I am busy volunteering where my skills are better used. And you know nothing about my attitude or what I donate financially or in supplies each year. My husband actually refers to me as a bleeding heart conservative, so I think I am okay with what I do. HYOH, LYOL.

I love you. I don't want to fight. *hugs*

Delta-Dawn
01-26-2011, 18:18
I love you. I don't want to fight. *hugs*

I love you, too! TRULY! :sun No more fighting. I come here because I love to hike. I hike because I love nature. Because it is beautiful and wonderful and fills me with a peace I don't get anywhere else, especially not from work. Heck, that is where ALL the stress is! So, olive branch? :rolleyes: And then someday I will take you to coffee when you are in the Metro and we can shake on it, or hug it out, whichever works for you. ;)

Smile
01-26-2011, 18:44
A hospital's supply room is considered a "clean" environment. Once I tried to return a bunch of the stuff I had collected over time. My manager said, "Throw all that away. We can't use it because we don't know where it has been.As a fellow nurse, I would like to give a tip to other hikers...

Often busy nurses do this to save time at work. If we had to walk to the supply room for a single item every time someone needed little things, we would walk our self to death. To prevent this, we usually put extra items in our pockets such as .......

t!

Just to clarify, no one is calling you personally a theif. If an employee that works somewhere leaves with items they didn't buy - they don't belong to them to do want they want with. If you're a patient, take it all with you even the 1/2 roll of toilet paper they provided you with - you're paying for your stay and your care, etc.

As for the quotes above - your pockets as a nurse are NOT where I want to get my first aid from, we won't even go there.If you "don't know where it's been" as you said above, I sure wouldn't want it for my first aid kit ;)

If your boss/manager told you to throw it away, sounds like he's in charge.

The topic was to "befriend a nurse" to get free stuff. That has led down a slippery slope for folks I've read/seen in the news who WERE in the medicial profession... a bandaid here, a med there, it can get ugly for all involved.

If your doctor wants to hand you a handful of free stuff for your hike next time you're in paying for a visit - that's not the same as asking a nurse "you know or are related to" to get you some free supplies, out of their non-clean environment pocket, that didn't get used on a patient they were caring for, that your manager told you to trash.

Great thread though, and some cool points of view :)

chiefiepoo
01-26-2011, 22:18
The lightest tooth brush I've seen is the one offered to patients by Maine Medical Center, where I'm residing for a few days. Nothing serious. It is extremely light weight with a very lightweight handle that reduces the temptation to do that awkward handle amputation.

Best tooth brush for the lightweight crowd is one of those county issue jail tooth brushes. Held between thumb and index finger, it has no real handle so it can't be turned into a shiv. If you know a corrections officer, you might ahh...... Just saying. Super lightweight but tought to reach the back molars with.

Gipsy
01-27-2011, 02:26
I refuse to bicker with any of those that just come here to try to pick things apart and interject their own personal negative opinions. If you're looking to start an argument, go elsewhere. I prefer to leave childish ways to children.

hobbs
01-27-2011, 02:44

Gipsy your are correct alot of nurses do this it's common practice expecially on ER and Trauma floors... My sister is a nurse and she brings it back the next day or puts it in her trauma bag as well that she brings to work... No worries I also have a under grade In Healthcare Admin...

daddytwosticks
01-27-2011, 08:29
Why are people here so quick to judge and criticize? If you all were sitting around a campfire at the end of a long day on the trail, would you treat your fellow hiker like this? Perhaps it's an internet thing. :)

10-K
01-27-2011, 08:40
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.....

Mama always told me to count to 10 first.. :)

Pedaling Fool
01-27-2011, 09:01
The root problem here is our irrational fear of little microscopic organisms. Every thing in Life is a slippery slope.

:)

the goat
01-27-2011, 09:19

you are clearly ignorant to the inner workings of the hospital environment.:)

atraildreamer
01-27-2011, 15:43

So I take whatever that mght be useful at home or on the trail, like that toothbrush. I can hardly wait to try it out on Katahdin next summer. It will easily reduce my pack weight by at least a fraction of a gram.

I was in the hospital 4 times last year and accumulated quite a lot of stuff this way. They will throw it out, even if unused. I got dressings, tape, antiseptic wash, surgical scissors, hemostats, shampoo, deodorant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, combs, etc. I guess they are afraid of possibly passing on infection to others. Take it home and use it...you, or your medical insurance, paid for it! :-?

max patch
01-27-2011, 16:04

Care to back up that statement?

I refuse to bicker with any of those that just come here to try to pick things apart and interject their own personal negative opinions..

Guess we'll never know.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2011, 18:49
In all truth, and I seem to agree with Max Patch 99% of the time here, so this post is obviously not personal.....

I think some folks are being a bit tough on Gipsy here. He's already explained that he doesn't steal from his employer and that the stuff that may get taken home is stuff that for any number of reasons can't or won't be used anyway. This is sort of a non-issue.

Kinda like when I leave for Georgia in the fall, if I go thru the kitchen and find some mayonnaise or hot sauce packets lying around that came from various fast food outlets, well I'm gonna take 'em along with me and not lose sleep over them.

If, over the winter, I'd collected 500 of them by grabbing an extra 40 or more everytime I bought a taco......well this is obviously different.

This is not the time or place to discuss how hospitals or insurance providers charge too much or rip people off. All Gipsy said is that there are certain items one can probably get for free or cheap if you know a nurse or hospital employee, same as any dentist or hygeinist can tell you that any professional office is buried with samples, free products, give-aways, and all sorts of other crap they don't remotely know what to do with. There's a pizza place I know about that habitually, at the end of the night, gives away about 70 bucks worth of stuff they can't sell and can't keep. If on of their employees keeps this stuff, takes it home, or gives it to a friend, they couldn't give a damn; it would otherwise end up in the dumpster.

Kind of the same thing here. Let's not get into health care politics etc. and let's move on.

The Solemates
01-27-2011, 19:13
I've used IV/Saline bottles as water containers for years. They are 1L in volume, are virtually indestructable, do very well in freezing weather, half the weight of a nalgene, 10X stronger than a plastic coke bottle (and have a wider spout), and are free!

The Solemates
01-27-2011, 19:18

So I take whatever that mght be useful at home or on the trail, like that toothbrush.

i travel some for my job. not a lot, but enough to supply our toiletry needs. we havent bought shampoo, soap, or lotion since 2007. no exaggeration. we pay for it in the room prices anyways.

hobbs
01-27-2011, 19:37
I like to say is Gipsy is correct this is common practice of Nurse's they forget they have the items on them...NO it cannot be reused orput back because of health codes...If it's used by hikers .Better than in the trash because thats what the codes say....Gipsy was just pointing out a FACT. He was not being deceptive at all...

Hooch
01-27-2011, 22:27
. . . .if you are a health practitioner of any sort, you might want to be relatively discreet about this while on the Trail as friends of mine who are physicians, nurses, therapists of one sort or another, chiropractors, masseurs, you name it, have ALL been asked at one time or another for medical advice, counsel, diagnoses, even treatment, while on their hikes. . . . I gotta agree, Jack. I'm a nurse by trade was well, but when I'm hiking and someone gets some minor injury they can treat themself, or looking for random medical advice, I don't know anyhting about it. I'm a plumber as far as they're concerned. :rolleyes:

Sierra Echo
01-27-2011, 22:43
I refuse to bicker with any of those that just come here to try to pick things apart and interject their own personal negative opinions. If you're looking to start an argument, go elsewhere. I prefer to leave childish ways to children.

So basically what you are saying is that anyone who doesnt agree with you and what you do is childish? Now THAT is childish! :rolleyes:

Irisheyes
01-27-2011, 23:01
just wanted to say hi to all my fellow nurses!

elmotoots
01-27-2011, 23:10
Everyone should know, the hospital is a good place to get an infection.

I would rather you not carry anything in your pocket from room to room if you are going to dress my wounds. That is why your supervisor wants to trash it.

But I do understand your time issues, and would rather see the material used by a healthy person than trashed.

You have a really tough job and deserve a pat on the back, so here it is..

PAT PAT PAT:)

Gipsy
01-28-2011, 02:20
So basically what you are saying is that anyone who doesnt agree with you and what you do is childish? Now THAT is childish! :rolleyes:

No, what I said is "bickering" is childish. I have a million opinions and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with every single one. I don't agree with other at times, but I also don't bash anyone about their beliefs, opinions, preferences.

Gipsy
01-28-2011, 02:24
I was in the hospital 4 times last year and accumulated quite a lot of stuff this way. They will throw it out, even if unused. :-?

In one hospital, even the phones were disposable (sent home with the patient or trashed).

hobbs
01-28-2011, 02:33
I read your post all the way through and what you were getting at and truely were speaking the plain truth....I understnad what your meaning was and intent...I put that on a few posts..I wrote...yes it is beneficial...Thanks for trying...

Smile
01-28-2011, 12:43
No, what I said is "bickering" is childish. I have a million opinions and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with every single one. I don't agree with other at times, but I also don't bash anyone about their beliefs, opinions, preferences.

I have not seen bickering, but discussion.
Not bashing, but disagreeing with the basic tenant of the title of this thread...

"befriend a nurse - (they have free supplies)"

While in theory, yes it's true they may have a dirty pocket full of unused packets and needles, etc., regardless - they are not free in any sense of the word.

They cost to produce, they cost to use, they cost the patient, etc.

Ain't nothing for free :)

You have a really tough job and deserve a pat on the back, so here it is..

PAT PAT PAT

I completely agree! Yeah for our nurses - I completely missed in this thread where anyone made any bad remark about nurses in general! :)

Luddite
01-28-2011, 13:01
In one hospital, even the phones were disposable (sent home with the patient or trashed).

Are you serious? How wasteful.

atraildreamer
01-31-2011, 13:06
Kinda like when I leave for Georgia in the fall, if I go thru the kitchen and find some mayonnaise or hot sauce packets lying around that came from various fast food outlets, well I'm gonna take 'em along with me and not lose sleep over them.

If, over the winter, I'd collected 500 of them by grabbing an extra 40 or more everytime I bought a taco......well this is obviously different.

You don't have to "over-collect" them. When I go through the drive-up and ask for "a" (meaning one) catsup, hot sauce, salt, whatever, they usually dump about a dozen of the requested item in the bag, or in my hand. :eek: I wonder how much the Heinz Corporation stock would drop if the fast food servers actually gave out the ketchup packets one at a time? :rolleyes: