PDA

View Full Version : Bears in Shenny's

earlyriser26
01-25-2011, 19:39
Last spring I did 3 days in the SNP and saw bears every day. I may go hiking there again in about 3 or 4 weeks. Any chance of seeing them in late Feb. or are they still asleep? I know bears can be active all year round.

Blissful
01-25-2011, 19:44
Not many up and around then. Ive been hiking there for a solid month and have not seen any. Though its been cold. But I have also hiked the park in late April and didn't see them either.

Front Royal Mike
01-25-2011, 21:04
I hiked up there last sun,Compton Gap to park boundary at the AT,no bears but several other hikers with dogs>I think the bruins are asleep for now,the last one I saw was in early Dec on the Tuscarora trail around Overall Falls below Mathews Arm

SouthMark
01-25-2011, 21:35
Check out www.bear.org. From their site:

In eastern North America where acorns, hickory nuts, beech nuts, and other foods become available in fall and some foods remain available all winter, bears there are genetically programmed to delay hibernation until late November or December and hibernate less than 5 months. Hibernation there is typically not as deep, and some bears emerge to forage during winter thaws. Food sometimes remains available throughout winter there, and some bears continue foraging throughout winter.

Don H
01-25-2011, 21:44
i was hiking SNP during the first week of April, the rangers said it was too early to see bears. I saw four. Figure that's about as early as your likely to see them. Of course you could see one at any time, it's just less likely.