PDA

View Full Version : Doite Backpacks

jlo
01-25-2011, 23:26
Have any of you used a Doite hiking backpack? How did it work for you?
They seem popular with "travelling through South America" backpackers, but I was wondering how it would hold up on the trail.
Thanks!

Spider
01-25-2011, 23:40
I had never heard of them so I decided to look it up. I couldn't find very many specs on their backpacks, but what I found seemed like they were very heavy. The one that gave specs said it was over 5lbs and carried like 48liters. I guess I could just be too used to my 32oz golite pack, but that seems a bit steep. Well good luck on your search!

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2011, 00:02
They are a pretty successful Chilean outdoor products company and make a variety of stuff, from car camping to hiking to what would seem to be mountaineering stuff. Most appears to be manufactured in China (most of "US stuff" is too so that's not a huge criticism these days) with the stoves / cooking gear made in Korea. Got that info from some company source websites. It's a Chilean company - here's a link to their English website http://www.doite.com/ingles/index.php

Some of the materials and weights they specify leave me scratching my head a bit though as to how desirable their stuff may be, especially their 80/20 down to feather ratios and weights of their sleeping bags. Add that they show an expedition style tent but call it three season, and other stuff like that. Just makes me wonder a bit. I'd research it quite a bit before buying. Holmont is the Canada / US distributor http://www.holmont.com/products/doite/doite-eng.htm

jlo
01-27-2011, 00:01
Thanks for the input (and the websites).

My hangup is that I'm living in South America right now, with plans to hike 2-3 months on the AT this summer. I was going to just wait until I got back to the US to buy a pack, but I want to do some travelling down here first, so I'm thinking it'd be useful to get a pack now that I can use for travelling and then for the hike later.

But they only sell Doite brand packs down here...since we're close to Chile and all :) From what I've seen, the chilean products are some of the best of south america, but I can't find any reviews online specifically for the backpacks.

So if anyone has used one, I'd love to get your opinion :)

donheinz
03-01-2011, 13:00
I live and work in Chile and use Doite products. The backpack I have is the 78L Tanganika. I have taken many trips with it up to five days long and it has been awesome. I am thinking of replacing one of the small buckles because it seems to have gotten a little weak, but that is a very minor issue considering the abuse I have given it. I have been up three volcanos and logged many miles. The Tanganika hasn't ripped or leaked. So I am very happy with it. Also, I just took it up Mt. Adams after Christmas here in the States. The conditions were tough and I took a couple of falls with iceaxe in tow. No problems with the pack.