PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrated food in Bulk

kmac
01-26-2011, 00:03
Planning on a thru hike in 2012...doing lots of research and finding ways to save money.
I've looked into purchasing dehydrated food in bulk BUT not sure what to store portions in and wondering about the life of the food.
thanks,
kmac

johnnyblisters
01-26-2011, 01:06
Have you checked out http://www.harmonyhousefoods.com/?gclid=CKTi2biL16YCFdtx5Qod2VvVIA ?

Miner
01-26-2011, 02:09
For my 09 PCT hike, I bought organic dehydrated veggies from http://www.justtomatoes.com in their largest containers since it was cheaper then buying local organic veggies and dehydrating them myself. I just sorted them into ziploc freezer bags and kept them either in the freezer or a cool dark place until I needed them. Life isn't a problem as long as they stay dry and out of sunlight. Things with fat (like meat) have a much shorter life and should be frozen if you aren't going to be using them in the next few months. But even dehydrated beef will last months in a supply box if the temp doesn't get too hot.

TheChop
01-26-2011, 02:20
I've occasionally gone with Mountain House #10 cans. I plan on doing a number of mail drops mixed in with grocery store shopping and alternating back and forth. One can lasts me about 6 meals. Amazon sells the different flavors for as little as 19 bucks a can. The fancier meals cost more. I can cook as much or as little as I want and haven't had a problem with it going bad if it's kept in a ziplock bag.

UNFORTUNATELY... Mountain House ran into a bit of a supply problem back in December and a bunch of crazy conspiracy types took this to signal that the Federal government was buying up all the freeze dried food so that the citizens will have nothing to eat during the IMPENDING DOOM that is about to fall on our country. They have started buying up as much as they can because you always need three months worth of dehydrated food on hand in case Obama decides to sell us out to the space aliens.

One Half
01-30-2011, 00:09
So I saw the justtomatoes site. If you buy 8 oz dried brocolli (for example) how much does that translate to once it is rehydrated? Is it 8 - 1/2 cup servings?

freemarie
01-30-2011, 01:01
I actually found a great website the other day looking for this with my boyfriend. I will have to ask him the site name, because they had incredible deals. Much cheaper than the companies that market specifically to hikers and without the preservatives! I will find out which it was.

Kepley
03-16-2011, 11:36
www.survivalacres.com is the cheapest with the largest selection, not sure on the quality though