PDA

View Full Version : Vibram five fingers and a NOBO thru?

Mr. Shorts
01-26-2011, 01:49
Hi.

Im planning a thru hike for this year and ill be starting roughly around the middle of march, if all goes well, and i recently baught a pair of fivefinger trek sports just to try them out and see what all the fuss is about. I LOVE THEM most comfortable shoe i have ever worn, but with it being gross, wet and icy outside, the only miles ive really experienced with them are on the treadmill :( and im wondering if it would be a practical alternative to something like trail runners, with the right amount of conditioning prior to the start of my hike? or should i get my trail legs under me with the perfectly good pair of merrel hiking boots that i also have, and THEN try switching over to the wierd ones?

thank you

Shorts ;)

Gipsy
01-26-2011, 03:55
I wouldn't use them for Thru-hiking but I would take them with me for camp shoes or as a back-up pair to get me somewhere I could buy new shoes. There is just too much mud/muck and not enough protection for major hiking.

If it was a day hike or weekend trip, I'd say go for it.

Torch09
01-26-2011, 05:42
I had the same idea. I've been using my FF's frequently on my morning paper route and love them. They are great when its wet out, but not when its cold and wet. Under 45 degrees and rain is torture. I have, however, used them in snow. Just put on two pairs of injinji socks and you're golden.

I want to use them on my thru, but I'm worried about the sloppy trail conditions at the begining (always a chance of snow in the Smokies this time of year). I'm planning on using a pair of trail runners to start with, then have the FF's sent to Hot Springs (or farther if I decide the weather isn't right yet.

I don't see why they can't be used on the trail. As long as you have enough conditioning, you should be fine. There are many people who start by only doing 5-10 miles a day and still finish the trail, so as long as you're in decent shape now it shouldn't be an issue. The only people I've heard who have negative things to say about these shoes haven't worn them.

Enjoy your hike and I hope to see ya out there. Always nice to meet a fellow 'barefooter'!

Torch09
01-26-2011, 05:48
Oh, one more thing. As much as I love these shoes, I will say that IMO they would be a bad choice for a camp shoe. They are heavy (compared to flip-flops) and they can be difficult to put on. At 3am, you don't want to fight to put on shoes if nature is calling.

ClassY
01-26-2011, 08:24
I just got some five fingers as well. I love them so much too that I was considerin ditchin boots too.
I wont end up going this way of course, because it is just silly. So they will be my camp shoes and town shoes and maybe hiking shoes when the conditions are good. They are much better than crocs and a lot more pratical.
I do run in them in the snow as well. I would just be concerned about the mud and wet/slippery conditions. But im glad to know there are other five finger fanatics out there :)
cya out there. :)

~ClassY

Jedeye
01-26-2011, 09:19
I too would discourage from taking them on the trail(but I love them). The thing I don't care for is how easy it is for water go get between your foot and the shoe. With just the slightest bit of water on soft dirt its going to seep right in. And the material between the rubber and your foot is not going to dry very fast at all while the five finger is still on your foot.

So Far
01-26-2011, 10:19
I wouldn't. My feet got so messed up just wearing boots which had alot of support. The demand a thru puts on ur body is huge...not a good time to test something out...i also wouldnt use it as a camp shoe. If u get any blisters which u will the shoe will fit to tight and not air out ur feet. EVERYONE grts cros. Light weight and chep.

Nodrog
01-26-2011, 10:53
Shorts, I'm starting my thru around mid March and will be using the VFFs as well. I have been running for about a year in them and can offer some advice based of experience.

As I'm sure you have read by now, these shoes are not something you just jump into, but ease into. When I bought my first pair I immediately starting running my typical 12 miles runs from work. After about a month of that I got a stress fracture (which has the potential of cutting your thru short). Hiking 12-20+ miles a day every day will surely put you at the same risk if are not careful.

The plus side and the reason I am using them on the trail is 1. You will have significantly stronger feet, calves, legs than if you hiked in boots or even trail runners. 2. You will be more agile and fast. 3. You will simply be more athletically adapt for future adventures than one who utilizes a boot as a means of hiking.

Even though I have been running in them for a year I am approaching the use of VFFs on a Thru very cautiously. During those cold beginning days I will get my trail legs as you say in hiking shoes. On warm days break out the VFFs and hike a few miles gradually building up the duration of your hike in those shoes until perhaps after 2 months of doing this I am using the VFFs 100%.

Oh and don't worry about the mud (when its warm out) they were made for the mud! While those in boot suffer from the suction cup effect you're feet slip in and out of mud as if it where water!

Jedeye
01-26-2011, 11:26
You really need to get some field testing in go walk in some mud, see how your feet feel, then decide if you are okay with that feeling all day and then imagine that day after day. Yes, your feet will get stronger as you go, but if you get discouraged and give because of the initial discomfort, lack of miles and other factors it's not worth it. Also a few months on a tread mill(even heavy milage) may not prepare you for standing on your feet all day, with the weight of a pack and the rocks and roots.

It could be fun but it's a risk, plan and hike carefully!

TheYoungOne
01-26-2011, 11:52
Also on a decent section of trail FF would probably be cool but what about the rocky sections of PA. That is going to kill your feet.

Smile
01-26-2011, 13:14
If you go with this, buy three pairs that fit, and break them all in for a few weeks, so you have fresh ones up the trail. They won't last as long as a boot, and your feet will really be stinky

endubyu
01-26-2011, 13:45
I'm going barefoot. I've always been barefoot no reason to change now. I do have VFF that I wear when running on rock/gravel surfaces and where the establishment that I'm in requires footwear. I have the neoprene ones and they do get STANKY. The neoprene is for wet environments. I actually wet them to put them on - a trick I learned putting SCUBA booties on. Your feet will toughen and muscles associated with being barefoot will become stronger but I suggest not going on the trail without several months adjustment. For me wearing boots would be difficult.

wrongway_08
01-26-2011, 13:59
People have hiked the A.T, without shoes. So whats the big deal? If you like them hike in them.

goody5534
01-26-2011, 14:14
Can these hikers suffice for a Beg Hiker looking to do 2-50 milers and 1-100 miler this spring and summer?

wrongway_08
01-26-2011, 14:29
I don't see why not. They are better then no shoes and flip flops.

Blissful
01-26-2011, 14:33
Yep some have hiked the trail barefoot. You're young enough to try. Just have a good pair of trail runners standing by.

Mr. Shorts
01-26-2011, 15:33
WOW! hahaha thanks to everyone. you've deffinitely given me several things to think about and consider. i like the idea of having them as a camp shoe that i can bust out every couple of days or so for better conditioning when the weather improves, and possibly use every day later on when my feet are stronger. This way im not stuck with only one option to start out with.

I must say i really enjoy and appreciate the ammount of constructive response given by the people on this site. Good community, and a serious change of pace from sites like pinkbike. again thank you :D

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2011, 18:43
I've never worn these things, but I've looked at them at my local outfitter. It seems to me that the rocks, which are every where not just Pennsylvania, will tear them up in no time.

If you do a thru in them and wear them day-after-day (not just ocassionally), I would be interested to hear how long they held up.

RGB
01-26-2011, 18:53
Are the cheapest pair (the classics) suitable for trail-running in ideal conditions?

will1972
01-26-2011, 19:35
Just my .02 cents. I have been told by a VFF rep that these are supposed to last for about 700 miles. I say good luck, I have used these on the approach trail and good luck and God bless to anyone who can make any real trail miles in these. Good theory, not so good in practice IMHO. I am not sold on the durability either. Mine are coming apart. I have shoes that I have used outdoors for years and most of them are still in some form of use. I believe it's just another fad item. I loved mine at first and every one raved about them. But after knowing at least a dozen different owners of these who have had similar experiences with the wear and quality. Most of them still love them, but I will tell you, I don't think you would be able to get maybe a couple of hundred miles out of them at best. That is if they can even handle the Georgia section which as far as rocks go is not as bad as other areas of the trail. And by the way don't expect Vibram to back up anything they have to say about these. In my case they did not anyway. Very disappointed with these and for $85 plus not a sound use of equipment. At least my Chaco's could handle more use. I'm not talking about abuse.

Rick500
01-26-2011, 20:41
I use my KSO Treks for camp shoes. One of these days, I'm going to do some hiking in them, but my feet just aren't quite there yet.

humunuku
01-27-2011, 13:49
I day hike in mine and I think they are great on trails...but the more man made the surface you get, the more un-comfy they got (for me). so trails - i think they are great, gravel roads... not so great, paved roads - got old real fast. Granted, I wan't using them every day, so maybe your feet will get way tougher than mine.

stubbing your toe really sucks too!

As far as camp shoes- they'd be fine, just do expect to slip them on and off real fast if you have a damp foot.

Wrangler88
01-27-2011, 19:08
I've worn Vibrams for about a year and a half. I wore the same pair of KSO's everyday for everything for over a year. They holes worn all the way through to my bare foot. I had to sew up the straps because they wore in half. I love the shoes and they're the only type of shoe I ever wear.

However, I think the idea of Vibrams on an AT thru hike is more romantic than practical. I'm not saying that it can't be done. I'd love to do something like that. I'm just saying, even as someone who loves the shoe, I don't think its a good idea.

Your feet will STINK for sure. Even more so than everyone around you's. And they'll be even more wet than everyone around you's.

Also I actually don't feel like the traction in KSO's would be very good on wet rock or icy conditions.

And I too, like others, don't think they'd be a good designated "camp shoe." If you plan to alternate hiking in them in fair weather, then I can see that. But if you're only using them as a shoe to wear right around camp, I'd find something a little quicker to slip on. OR just walk barefoot. After walking all day. I don't really care to do too much walking around camp.

So, yes ... I say you wear them. ;)

Wrangler88
01-27-2011, 19:14
Are the cheapest pair (the classics) suitable for trail-running in ideal conditions?

I don't think so. I haven't owned the Classic model but I read a lot of crap gets in them.

That's why they made the KSO. Because they "Keep Stuff Out".

Also, I bought a pair of Bakilas to wear for running. Didn't care for them near as much as the KSO's.

johnnyjohnson2043
01-28-2011, 20:41
I was planning on at least bringing my FiveFingers with me. They aren't that heavy and, as others have said, they would probably make good camp shoes. They aren't the warmest things in the world so I wouldn't wear them unless the weather was decent. Good luck.

MMX
01-29-2011, 10:40
I hiked in KSO Treks last year starting last day of Feb. I wore wool Injinji socks and had no issues with my feet. Everyone else had blister issues and I did not. I tried barefoot for several hikes but had a concern of thorns or sticks damaging a foot and causing infection. This was my reason for using them. I do hike a bit slower in my FF then I did in shoes or boots.
I have a pair that I put about 800 miles on. They are beat up like any shoe would be after 800 trail miles.
Consider the resupply issue of the shoes and that your feet may in crease in size while hike the trail. Set up with a good shoe store and they will help you by keeping a few pairs for you and a few sizes. You call ahead of time and have them ship them to you.
FF are still hard to find due to the demand. This is my biggest issue with them. If I did not have shoes lined up prior to hiking I would not hike with them. FF are supposed to have several new factories online soon and this may help out.
I am a big guy over 250# carrying 28 pounds of pack. I wear FF or Chaco sandals to hike now and no langer have any foot issues that I had in shoes or boots.
That is my 2 cents

Marnee
03-04-2011, 00:47
I would totally do it and plan on it. I think the trail is soft enough to do barefoot for significant portions. From what I can tell, it reminds me of the cushy trails of the Northland forests of New Zealand. That's some nice barefoot tramping.

newhiker4
03-06-2011, 16:13
I have had my vibrams for a little over a year now and I absolutely love them. I do everything in these shoes, running, biking, rock climbing, hiking... I have never had any problem with mud or water or anything. Like said before they were made to get muddy and dirty and wet.

If you haven't done any hiking in them I suggest you do just to get used to the difference in the way you walk and to build the muscles used with vibrams.

As for the shoes not drying out while onyour feet, I have never had a problem with that either.

Enjoy your hike!

BlackJack1
12-27-2011, 08:10
Just bought mine and will do A.T. in 2012 with them. I am scared about cold wet feet.

Shutterbug
12-27-2011, 12:27
Hi.

Im planning a thru hike for this year and ill be starting roughly around the middle of march, if all goes well, and i recently baught a pair of fivefinger trek sports just to try them out and see what all the fuss is about. I LOVE THEM most comfortable shoe i have ever worn, but with it being gross, wet and icy outside, the only miles ive really experienced with them are on the treadmill :( and im wondering if it would be a practical alternative to something like trail runners, with the right amount of conditioning prior to the start of my hike? or should i get my trail legs under me with the perfectly good pair of merrel hiking boots that i also have, and THEN try switching over to the wierd ones?

thank you

Shorts ;)

I agree with the ones who say that you shouldn't experiment at the beginning of a through hike, but I disagree with the ones who just automatically reject wearing Vibram 5 fingers on a long hike. Last summer, I followed that kind of advice and wore expensive hiking boots in the Grand Canyon. After 25 miles, my feet were killing me so I switched to my Vibram 5 fingers. I returned my boots to REI for a refund and have worn the Vibrams exclusively since then. I have covered several hundred miles of trail without a foot problem.

I have known quite a few people who have tried Vibram 5 Fingers and just didn't like them. Some of them are vocal about why they will never wear them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I wouldn't take advice from those who rejected them in the first couple of weeks. Listen to those who have been wearing them for some time. In the last few months, I have seen quite a few hikers on various trails wearing Vibram 5 fingers. Not one of them has said that they regretted wearing them on the trial. I have heard a lot of people who have never tried them say why they won't, but have not heard even one who has tried them on the trail say that they regretted it.

There are two issues that I have found. First, is the cold trail. At the beginning of your hike, you will be walking on frozen ground at least part of the time. The Vibram 5 fingers have no insulation against the cold. The second is trail grit. When you walk through sandy areas, it is impossible to keep some grit from getting inside the Vibram 5 fingers. The grit acts like sandpaper on the bottoms of your feet. Most of the time, I wear my Vibrams without socks, but when I encounter either cold or grit, I put on toe socks. The toe socks solve the grit problem and help with the cold problem.

Remember that crampons, yaktraks and other traction devices won't fit on Vibram 5 Fingers. I have worn mine in snow, but I don't recommend it. If you will be walking on a lot of snow wear some "normal" footwear.

Slo-go'en
12-27-2011, 13:54
I saw a number of hikers with the five finger shoes last April/May down south. I bumped into a lot of thru-hikers in Gorham later in the summer and I don't remember seeing anyone still using those shoes. There could be three reasons for that. 1, those with the 5 finger shoes all quit before getting that far north (which is possible), 2, they switched out to real boots when the trail started to get consistantly rocky, or 3, I missed meeting anyone who was still using them.

So, the question is, did anyone use these shoes the whole way through and if not, why not? I have a feeling the 5 finger shoes work nice down south where the trail is primarly packed dirt and soft, but less comfy when the trail turns mostly rocky and rough farther north, like starting in PA.

ChrisJackson
12-27-2011, 14:40
My main complaint with the Five Finger shoe was that my pinky toes on my left foot keeps slipping out. But that is a personal problem. My feet are wacky. I am currently using trainers. If I decide to try the FF again, I'll probably try a smaller pair. The current pair I have now I'm using for camp shoes. Enjoy. Practice a lot with them and have a plan B ready.

Theosus
12-27-2011, 20:15
Yep some have hiked the trail barefoot. You're young enough to try. Just have a good pair of trail runners standing by.I can totally see how this would be possible. Growing up in the south it seemed we used to spend the entire summer barefoot, for some reason. By the time it was cold enough to require shoes the bottoms of our feet were really tough. Of course over the winter, they would soften up again.I got some Fila Skeletoes and wore them around today. Awesome shoes, but really easy to get wet. I wore them to walmart - somehow I fit right in. No trail experiences with them, yet. I do have a stress fracture from running four miles a day in socks on a treadmill. My orthopedist, who is a backpacker, told me "hey dumbass, rest and get some proper shoes". His words were more clinical, but the meaning was there. So I'm sidelined from trying them out properly right now.

Transient Being
12-27-2011, 20:22
I just purchased my first pair about a week ago and can tell I'm gonna be wearing them alot! I'm thinking about bringing mine along with me in March as well, but it is true that these do take time to build up your foot muscles. I did a 9 mile smooth trail run in them right after I got them because they felt sooo good, and I could barely walk the next day. I could tell they were making my feet stronger, but the soreness was intense. My question now is, would New Balance Minimus be a good companion shoe to go along with the five fingers? Or would I be better off with a little thicker sole so I don't have two thin soled shoe choices? I'm trying to train as much as I can in the thin soled shoes to get ready, but could see how having a little thicker soled trail runner might be a good idea. However, I've about given up on the my Moab ventilators, that's just too thick and heavy. I'm definately sold on the idea of trail runners or less. Hmmmmm, what to do?

JenHikes
12-27-2011, 20:36
Rocks will maim a pair of five fingers fast. I have a buddy that tried hiking in his in the Smokies and tore them to shreds.

Del Q
12-27-2011, 21:04
Foot stink and stubbed toes...............you pick which is worse after a month

I love mine, no way for long distance hiking.............with an X pound pack?

Great for pre hike conditioning..........works feet, ankles, tendons, etc like nothing else, short of going barefoot

Karl Meltzer
12-27-2011, 21:35
go more stealth and just use a nice cushioned running shoe, and you'll be fine. You'll ruin your feet with five-fingers, and hiking boots are not necessary, they never are. my two cents.....

dillard
12-27-2011, 23:05
I did the entire VA section in my VFF's last August and could not have loved them more... Light, agile, no blisters, quick drying, good traction and lasted well... The pair of TrekSport's I used still had several hundred miles of use left in them when i left the trail. They arnt great for camp shoes since they take some work getting into and out of so I got a $1 pair of flip flops for that, but for everything else they worked perfect. I carried 35-45lbs in my pack purposely for training purposes and even with that weight they were not any less comfy than traditional shoes. They get pretty stinky when worn without socks but are easily washed out... and when you do wear socks with em they are just like any other shoe, smell wise.

The one downside came when around day 30 I tried actually running down the trail and did not notice a root sticking up... stubbed my pinky toe pretty badly and had to take 2 zero's for it to heal. They do not have much protection from impact so you have to be much more purposeful about where you step.

Shutterbug
12-28-2011, 01:03
Rocks will maim a pair of five fingers fast. I have a buddy that tried hiking in his in the Smokies and tore them to shreds.

Your friend must have bought some knock offs from China off of Ebay. I have some of those that wore out quickly. The authentic Vibrams last a long time. I just wore a pair rim to rim to rim in the Grand Canyon. Those trails have lots of sharp rocks. The Vibrams held up just fine. I haven't kept records, but I estimate I got close to a thousand miles on them before they wore out. When they finally did, it was the top that wore out, not the sole.

Dumplings
12-28-2011, 18:50
I hiked the approach trail till blood mountain in vibram five fingers. I bought boots at the outfitter because of how sore my feet were.

Shutterbug
12-28-2011, 19:23
Hi.

thank you

Shorts ;)

One more comment. If you are going to wear VFF's on the trail, buy the KSO Treks. I have seen some on the trials with VFF models that weren't really made for trail hiking. I have some KSO's that I wear for other things, but their sole isn't made for hiking. The KSO Treks have a tougher sole, a hiking tread and the upper is made from kangroo leather.

I just returned from a desert hike. Some of it was "off trail" with lots of sharp rocks. My VFF Treks did great.

JJJ
12-28-2011, 22:15
I've done some running and some backpacking in VFF. They may not hold up quite as well as other shoes but the strength you get out of them is well worth it. Adapter very slowing, don't force the issue and have an alternative handy until you really get to know them. Once you're toughened to them -nothing beats the feel/experience of running or hiking in wood in them. Enjoy.

Shutterbug
12-28-2011, 22:22
Hi.

thank you

Shorts ;)

Vibram had a contest in which they invited people to send in pictures of themselves doing something healthy in their VFFs. I won!!! http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150462935849226&set=a.10150462933949226.373674.20025344225&type=3&theater

Papa D
12-28-2011, 22:33
I wouldn't use them for Thru-hiking but I would take them with me for camp shoes or as a back-up pair to get me somewhere I could buy new shoes. There is just too much mud/muck and not enough protection for major hiking.

If it was a day hike or weekend trip, I'd say go for it.

This is spot-on -- if everyone that planned a thru hike would do a little less planning and a little more hiking they would be much better off (but WB wouldn't be as much fun) -- go do a 40 mile warm up backpacking trip in your 5 fingers -- if you can do 40 miles in them (honestly and comfortably) then go for it. You SHOULD do (lots of) warm up hiking anyway. If not, get some regular trail shoes.

roffels
12-29-2011, 22:52
I completed a 100-mile hike in my KSO Treks and would not hesitate to wear them on a Thru.

azb
12-31-2011, 06:23
I hiked the approach trail till blood mountain in vibram five fingers. I bought boots at the outfitter because of how sore my feet were. Did you train with the vff beforehand, or was the trail their maiden voyage? Az

Del Q
12-31-2011, 11:02
Thought about it while hiking this morning, what about really cold, wet weather and / or snow?

I know that the "sister" did the AT barefoot which to me is pretty amazing............too many obstacles, rocks, etc etc.............could not see going in my 5 Finger "shoes"

dillard
12-31-2011, 17:35
Thought about it while hiking this morning, what about really cold, wet weather and / or snow?

I know that the "sister" did the AT barefoot which to me is pretty amazing............too many obstacles, rocks, etc etc.............could not see going in my 5 Finger "shoes"

VFF now makes a model called the TrekLS which is full leather... no mesh between the toes which would be fine in snow and cold.

Dumplings
12-31-2011, 18:11
Did you train with the vff beforehand, or was the trail their maiden voyage? AzWore them every day for 4 months for my job as a whitewater raft guide and hiked in them plenty beforehand. As a kid I was always the first one barefoot in the spring and last one in shoes in the winter, I'd say I have tough feet, but snagging a root with a pinky toe and breaking it would really suck on the trail. Not to mention up north in root and rock filled trail areas they wouldn't be nearly as comfortable as they are down south. Thru hiking is a major act of endurance, I'd wear something that protects my feet more to minimize injuries. YMMV HYOH etc etc etc.