PDA

View Full Version : .gpx of Shenandoah NP

jerseydave
01-26-2011, 10:44
As I sit here patiently (not) waiting for my new toy (garmin 60csx) to arrive, I'm searching for the best FREE .gpx topo's that I can find.

Specifically I need the trail system in Shenandoah NP for a trip that I'm hoping to make reality in the next few weeks.

Also be looking for sources to detailed FREE topo maps and trail overlays to the Northeast and Mid Atlantic regions for now.

Basically areas surrounding and including the AT, detailed TOPO and trail overlays.

Any help and direction greatly appreciated since I'm a noob at this.

I'm aware of GPSFILEDEPOT.com, but don't see anything truly specific there...... am I missing the obvious?

Thanks
Dave

10-K
01-26-2011, 10:47
I'm also very new at this..... I have an eTrex Vista Hcx.

What I did was buy a memory card and load the state topo maps from gpsfiledepot on it.

Then, I either download hikes from backpacker.com or use my Nat Geo software to create a route with waypoints that is drawn on top of the topo maps I have loaded on the card.

I'm 110% certain that I've only scratched the surface of how this can be done but that's how I got started....

jerseydave
01-26-2011, 11:13
I followed along in the thread where you discovered how to do that.
One problem though is I don't see a topo map for Virginia @ GPSdepot.....???

What software actually came with your unit, and is it functional or is it less than adequate?

jerseydave
01-26-2011, 11:16
One problem though is I don't see a topo map for Virginia @ GPSdepot.....???

My bad..... it's there

10-K
01-26-2011, 11:25
My bad..... it's there

You want that.

The basemap that comes with the unit is worthless unless you're going to be on interstates 24/7. :)

Crotalus
01-26-2011, 13:41
GPSfiledepot has what you need. You need to get the detailed topo maps then download the trail overlay map. Check out their tutorials and forums if you have any problems. I put topo maps on my Garmin Vista 3 years ago so i dont remember the exact process but i do know it wasnt overly complicated.

jerseydave
01-26-2011, 15:27
Thanks guys,

I'm sure I'll be back for more help as soon as that beautiful brown truck gets here........:jump

jerseydave
01-27-2011, 18:04
:banana:banana:banana

It came last night and I've been downloading TOPOS from GPS FileD ever since.

Gotta get a bigger micro card...... any thoughts?

karo
01-28-2011, 00:19
Get the largest you can afford and it will take. I got a 4gb for mine.

jerseydave
01-28-2011, 10:09
OK, I'm now 48 years old......... what are my chances of figuring this GPS/MAP stuff out before I die?

Got some stuff downloaded into the unit, but seem to be having a hard time "layering" maps on top of each other.

Probably doesn't help that I am having a very difficult time figuring out exactly what some of the functions and controls of the unit itself are.

Not having any fun yet!

10-K
01-28-2011, 10:17
OK, I'm now 48 years old......... what are my chances of figuring this GPS/MAP stuff out before I die?

I have come to the conclusion based on my own research that the answer to that question is: There is a slim possibility.

I've signed up for a Garmin GPS class at REI but I'm on a waiting list unfortunately.

What I'd really like to do is spend a day with someone who knew what they were doing and would take me from creating a map w/ route all the way to hiking the route we created.

edited to add... I'm 49 so I've got a year on you. :)

jerseydave
01-29-2011, 09:33
:banana Got it done! :banana

Have the topo for about 15 states loaded in as well as transparent trail maps overlaid...... all of it on an 8gb card which isn't even 1/3 full leaving me plenty of room to store routes and such........

Now if I can just figure out how to do that........:-?

Downloaded each states topo individually from gpsfiledepot.com as well as the trail maps.

In Mapsource I combined all the desired maps into one mapset, being sure the total was under the #2xxx map screen limit.

Transfered that mapset to the card (took several hours of waiting).

Done

fredmugs
03-06-2011, 10:43
I'm also very new at this..... I have an eTrex Vista Hcx.

What I did was buy a memory card and load the state topo maps from gpsfiledepot on it.

Then, I either download hikes from backpacker.com or use my Nat Geo software to create a route with waypoints that is drawn on top of the topo maps I have loaded on the card.

I'm 110% certain that I've only scratched the surface of how this can be done but that's how I got started....

I just bought my first GPS unit and I'm still trying to figure it out as well. I haven't tried downloading a trip somebody else did and doing it myself yet.

Those Backpacker.com hikes look great. Thanks for sharing!

karo
03-06-2011, 14:33
I just bought my first GPS unit and I'm still trying to figure it out as well. I haven't tried downloading a trip somebody else did and doing it myself yet.

Those Backpacker.com hikes look great. Thanks for sharing!
Which gps did you get?

fredmugs
03-07-2011, 14:16
Which gps did you get?

Magellan EXplorist 710.

It comes with a complete set of 1:24000 topo maps and a complete set of city street maps. I can set it up for walking, hiking, bike riding, and driving. I can operate it with batteries, USB, or AC. It also takes pictures and video.

I wanted something high end and I didn't see anything out there that comes close to do all of the things this does.