PDA

View Full Version : Blood Mountain Shelter rehab

Rain Man
01-26-2011, 12:18
From the GATC today:

"As you are probably aware GATC in collaboration with the Chattahoochee National Forest is going to rehab the Blood Mountain Shelter. Working with the USFS we are developing specifications to issue to potential bidders. The competitive bidding will commence in April. If you know of anyone who may be interested in bidding please have them contact [the GATC].

"There are two important factors that bidders should consider and will be spelled out in the specifications:

" 1. The historic nature of the structure requires use of “in-kind” materials duplicating what was originally used by the CCC. As part of this effort the USFS will be applying for listing the shelter on the National Register of Historic Sites.

" 2. The shelter is located in Wilderness designated forest which mandates no mechanized tools or equipment on site and all equipment, tools, materials, etc. will be transported to and from the site utilizing pack animals. A separate contract will cover the pack animals."

bishopj
01-26-2011, 12:22
I start my hike on April 3 will be Thur in 2 to 3 day i can help with the work i f you need it

Smile
01-26-2011, 13:17
Sounds like a great project, I also might be able to bring a crew of three or four along. Keep us posted :)

Rain Man
01-26-2011, 17:27
I ... can help with the work i f you need it

Keep us posted :)

Sorry guys. I was just the messenger on this. You'll need to contact the Georgia AT Club with such offers. And while I'm at it... THANKS for the offers! Maybe they can use help on that project or maybe not. They have others, I'm sure.

Here's the link to the GATC site: GATC (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/)

Rain:sunMan

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 17:42
This project has been in the works for sometime. The controversy over the roof is what has slowed it down I believe.

Graywolf
01-26-2011, 21:55
I once heard they were going to dismantle the shelter all together. Being a historic structure and the connection with Mountain Crossings, its good to know they are going to fix it up.

Thanks for sharing this information..

Graywolf

Dances with Mice
01-26-2011, 21:59
This project has been in the works for sometime. The controversy over the roof is what has slowed it down I believe.Yeah. Whether to replace it with the original tile roof or find a plastic look alike that won't break when ahxoles throw rocks on the roof from those big rocks next to it. That's why the ground around the shelter is paved with broken bits of red tile right now. Maybe with the chimney blocked and no fires permitted (HAH! Then what's with that charcoal pile in front of the door steps?) nobody will tear off the shutters and the door to build fires again like they did to the last ones.

Lost cause. That shelter should be closed to camping, Nobody can argue that it's needed. There's already a shelter a few miles south, a campground in the gap south of Blood mountain and a hostel in the gap to its north. Renovation will be a complete waste of time and money because in just a few years it'll be torn up, broke down and look exactly like it does now. You read it here first.

I only wish I could be wrong.

ed bell
01-26-2011, 21:59
It was a really unique experience the first time I saw it. In good ways and bad...DWM is on target...

Awol1970
01-26-2011, 22:03
I can't imagine how I would even begin to come up with a bid for this project. "A seperate contract will cover pack animals" would pretty much stop me in my tracks.

mweinstone
01-26-2011, 22:06
no body will eever sleep on blood. its just to creepy. i saw the shelter when i tryed to thruhike in 91. it had the wood jams on the windows and i think they got burnned or maby someone has them? possible? if they wanna restore the surounding trees to the way they looked when the shelter was young, i belive their were choke cherries once.

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 22:07
Yeah. Whether to replace it with the original tile roof or find a plastic look alike that won't break when ahxoles throw rocks on the roof from those big rocks next to it. That's why the ground around the shelter is paved with broken bits of red tile right now. Maybe with the chimney blocked and no fires permitted (HAH! Then what's with that charcoal pile in front of the door steps?) nobody will tear off the shutters and the door to build fires again like they did to the last ones.

Lost cause. That shelter should be closed to camping, Nobody can argue that it's needed. There's already a shelter a few miles south, a campground in the gap south of Blood mountain and a hostel in the gap to its north. Renovation will be a complete waste of time and money because in just a few years it'll be torn up, broke down and look exactly like it does now. You read it here first.

The last thing I had heard about the shelter was at the business meeting back in October, they already had the money and it sounded like a done deal. Except for the argument about the roof. I would assume however, they would wait til spring to get started. From what Im understanding, they arent gonna airlift the materials up there. Thats a long steep climb to be carrying building materials! But what they hey, sign me up!

Graywolf
01-26-2011, 22:10
Well, I for one would like to stay on the Mountain. But not in the shelter. I want to see if the "Little People" are there..

Awol1970
01-26-2011, 22:17
From what Im understanding, they arent gonna airlift the materials up there. Thats a long steep climb to be carrying building materials!

Apparently maybe donkeys. There are soooooo many unemployed construction workers, including immigrant workers who could do it too. I got ten in my cell phone right now I could call and they would be ready to start hauling tomorrow.

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 22:20
Apparently maybe donkeys. There are soooooo many unemployed construction workers, including immigrant workers who could do it too. I got ten in my cell phone right now I could call and they would be ready to start hauling tomorrow.

I seriously doubt a non-profit organization is going to hire people to haul it up the mountain when there are plenty of people who would volunteer to do it for free.

mweinstone
01-26-2011, 22:21
i absolutly gaurentee they switch to helo and can the pack animals.its a wild dream of a cheapster trying to save a buck that never will work to carry the sizes of wood needed thru that brush.not happening. end of story. can you say sakorski ?

Awol1970
01-26-2011, 22:30
I seriously doubt a non-profit organization is going to hire people to haul it up the mountain when there are plenty of people who would volunteer to do it for free.

Sure they will :) It is out for bid. A non-profit organization...oh for instance Habitat for Humanity (whom I happen to work for) will sub out lots of work to for profit contractors. Happens everyday all over the world.:rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2011, 22:32
legal documented workers i hope?

Awol1970
01-26-2011, 22:32
i absolutly gaurentee they switch to helo and can the pack animals.its a wild dream of a cheapster trying to save a buck that never will work to carry the sizes of wood needed thru that brush.not happening. end of story. can you say sakorski ?

I assure you Matty I could have a crew that could haul just about anything anywhere for the right amount of money. My amigos are the epitome of Macguyver like hauling resourcefulness.

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 22:34
legal documented workers i hope?

LOL thats the first thing that entered my mind!
I will volunteer my time and I know a lot of other people that will too.
There is absolutely no need to pay us! We do it for the love of the trail.

Dances with Mice
01-26-2011, 22:35
Funny how they weren't so concerned about the wilderness restrictions when they airlifted two privies up there.

Lone Wolf
01-26-2011, 22:37
i would volunteer to help tear it down. it's ugly and needs to go

Awol1970
01-26-2011, 22:38
Funny how they weren't so concerned about the wilderness restrictions when they airlifted two privies up there.

Helos would be the most efficient way.... what do they have to do with wilderness restrictions I wonder. Way more LNT than pack animals....

Skidsteer
01-26-2011, 22:41

And they're not made of Chestnut with a tile roof either.

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2011, 22:43
i recommend everyone try volunteering for trail work! its so rewarding
much more than the hiking itself.
i live in nebraska so its hard to get alot of trail work in myself. but on my thruhikes i helped whenever i could including 3 hardcores. my favorite was the clyde smith shelter job. i helped paint the shelter, roof the shelter and more. though not as steep as blood mtn. we did carry everything in we needed and it was 1& 1/2 miles one way.
my favorite was carrying 2 of the 3 90pound bags of concrete from the drop off site to the shelter. it can be done without cash being your pay

Dances with Mice
01-26-2011, 22:44
And they're not made of Chestnut with a tile roof either.I wonder if these renovations will make the shelter wheelchair accessible like the privies?

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2011, 22:45
i would volunteer to help tear it down. it's ugly and needs to go
thats what i was thinking.:D
me being a stone mason though and them wanting to restore it. i would of tore it down saved all the stone and reapply them to the new structure somehow?

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 22:53
me being a stone mason though and them wanting to restore it. i would of tore it down saved all the stone and reapply them to the new structure somehow?

Oh Im kind of fond of it myself. My great grandfather helped build not only that but Walasi as well! Not to mention he was the winter caretaker at Walasi for a few years too. ;)

Sierra Echo
01-26-2011, 22:54

I know that all the materials for the new Stover Creek shelter were airlifted in. And it took 49 trips to get it all there!

Awol1970
01-26-2011, 22:59

I wanted to mention that this is what I think will happen in my first post... but the key word is "rehab".

I would think if contractor bids are being taken and pack animals will be used then a complete tear down rebuild would be the way to go.

A qualified contractor coupled with a well thought out building plan and a bunch of vols could make a beautiful shelter.

CrumbSnatcher
01-26-2011, 23:02
Oh Im kind of fond of it myself. My great grandfather helped build not only that but Walasi as well! Not to mention he was the winter caretaker at Walasi for a few years too. ;)
i hear ya, sorry no disrespect intended.
winton had me help repair the stone steps leading into the store in 2003 and that was a blast! i wanted to stay for a year or so and help restore more problems on the site:cool:
the stone will last forever! but those joints need replaced every 50-100 years. you should be proud! your Grandfather and the rest of the CCC did a great job

Dances with Mice
01-26-2011, 23:19
A qualified contractor coupled with a well thought out building plan and a bunch of vols could make a beautiful shelter. Then they should be used to build a shelter someplace where one is needed.

Pony
01-28-2011, 01:08
Yeah. Whether to replace it with the original tile roof or find a plastic look alike that won't break when ahxoles throw rocks on the roof from those big rocks next to it. That's why the ground around the shelter is paved with broken bits of red tile right now. Maybe with the chimney blocked and no fires permitted (HAH! Then what's with that charcoal pile in front of the door steps?) nobody will tear off the shutters and the door to build fires again like they did to the last ones.

But, if you're not. Why can't they put a caretaker up there like they do up north?

Dances with Mice
01-28-2011, 07:57
But, if you're not. Why can't they put a caretaker up there like they do up north?You're saying the GATC should spend even more money taking care of a structure that isn't needed?

mweinstone
01-28-2011, 08:04
if the doyal was moved to where bms is, would you drink there. and visa versa. would you sleep in bms if it was in duncanon?

Lone Wolf
01-28-2011, 08:36
if the doyal was moved to where bms is, would you drink there. and visa versa. would you sleep in bms if it was in duncanon?

the doyle is a dump too

Old Hiker
01-28-2011, 09:06
From the GATC today:

" 2. ..............will be transported to and from the site utilizing pack animals. A separate contract will cover the pack animals."

I'm just wondering when pack animals unionized!?! I'd like to see their benefits package.

scope
01-28-2011, 09:35
From what Im understanding, they arent gonna airlift the materials up there. Thats a long steep climb to be carrying building materials! But what they hey, sign me up!

My guess is that the Freeman Trail will be the route and up the AT on the south side. Not that steep, pretty easy in fact.

Skidsteer
01-28-2011, 09:36
You're saying the GATC should spend even more money taking care of a structure that isn't needed?

The money should be spent moving the shelter to the Museum.

Plastic skunks could be scattered around the display for realism.

Dances with Mice
01-28-2011, 14:21
The money should be spent moving the shelter to the Museum. Plastic skunks could be scattered around the display for realism.Now there's an idea. Or move it to Mtn X and let them use it for ... whatever, they'd think of something.

I was thinking just put on a red metal roof, put bars on the door & windows so people could still see inside and let the skunks have it.

max patch
01-28-2011, 14:35
Its a shame that some people don't respect history.

The comment by someone that hikers can always sleep in the smelly hostel at Neels Gap is, well, unfortunate.

The shelter should be rehabilitated. A non-historically correct roof should be installed for protection from the rock throwers. The wilderness restrictions should be waived for a week so that the materials can be flown in.

I haven't slept in that shelter for 15 years and don't plan on ever sleeping in it again. But it still needs to remain.

Done.

scope
01-28-2011, 15:05
Gosh, I want to agree with you Max, but its close enough and well-known enough to be a weekend "hangout" instead of a real shelter. I mean, that's sort of why it is what it is now, not only because its old.

Dances with Mice
01-28-2011, 18:30
.... The comment by someone that hikers can always sleep in the smelly hostel at Neels Gap is, well, unfortunate. ...

Done.Was it also, well, unfortunate, that in the same post someone, whoever he was, also mentioned the shelter a few miles south of the BM shelter and the hardened campground built by the GATC overlooking a quiet cove in the gap immediately south of Blood Mtn?

But I don't know why I'm even bothering to ask since you're done and all.

Graywolf
01-29-2011, 01:26
When I firstsaw the title of this thread, I thought it meant they were going to build a Blood Mountain Hiker Rehab center.. You know, a Rehab for hiikers..:rolleyes:

Chappy
02-06-2011, 16:28

How do you think the original building materials got up there? :-?

Chappy
02-06-2011, 16:29
Gosh, I want to agree with you Max, but its close enough and well-known enough to be a weekend "hangout" instead of a real shelter. I mean, that's sort of why it is what it is now, not only because its old.

Bingo! Right again, my friend......weekend hangout.

Chappy
02-06-2011, 16:31
Helos would be the most efficient way.... what do they have to do with wilderness restrictions I wonder. Way more LNT than pack animals....

No helos in a wilderness area. The fire several years ago received no exemption to the rules.

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 23:13
How do you think the original building materials got up there? :-?

duh,...they choped trees on site. the ridge beam never went up a trail.

mweinstone
02-06-2011, 23:15
and blood mt shelter was not a hangout for anything. shelters much closer to roads are. never one that remote,duh.who told you it was a hangout? gross. even party animals like a clean stall.

Chappy
02-08-2011, 20:14
and blood mt shelter was not a hangout for anything. shelters much closer to roads are. never one that remote,duh.who told you it was a hangout? gross. even party animals like a clean stall.

Ever been around there on a weekend in the summer? ;)

JumpInTheLake
02-08-2011, 21:50
I'm glad that it's being saved. It's the first A.T. shelter I ever saw.

Newb
02-10-2011, 09:56
From the GATC today:

"As you are probably aware GATC in collaboration with the Chattahoochee National Forest is going to rehab the Blood Mountain Shelter. Working with the USFS we are developing specifications to issue to potential bidders. The competitive bidding will commence in April. If you know of anyone who may be interested in bidding please have them contact [the GATC].

"There are two important factors that bidders should consider and will be spelled out in the specifications:

" 1. The historic nature of the structure requires use of “in-kind” materials duplicating what was originally used by the CCC. As part of this effort the USFS will be applying for listing the shelter on the National Register of Historic Sites.

" 2. The shelter is located in Wilderness designated forest which mandates no mechanized tools or equipment on site and all equipment, tools, materials, etc. will be transported to and from the site utilizing pack animals. A separate contract will cover the pack animals."

I may bid to be one of the pack animals. Would that make my trail name "Jack ass"?

Hoofit
02-10-2011, 21:59
Slept there early last March one cold windy night ,all alone, except for the mice ...fell on balck ice on the way up at dusk.
What a start to the trail!
I gotta admit ,it was a little scary, half expected an axe murderer to come in and chop me into little pieces!!
Was I glad to see daylight the next morning!
Pretty spooky night all round!!

mweinstone
02-11-2011, 02:28
i will never sleep or feel comfortable in that building. its a wet dark freak

mweinstone
02-11-2011, 02:28
that, and chestnut knob shelter. never ever for a million bacon.

Rain Man
02-11-2011, 23:00
that, and chestnut knob shelter. never ever for a million bacon.

Slept in Chestnut Knob Shelter last Fall, like a baby. And I don't mean waking up crying every hour! LOL

To be honest, I was cowboy camping in the thick grass at the shelter, till it started raining.

Great shelter! Just needs water more handy, perhaps.

Rain:sunMan

star
04-30-2011, 23:37
Campsites on the way to shelter were trashed two weeks ago. I got disgusted and just turned back to find a clean spot further on for lunch.

star
04-30-2011, 23:38
Whoops. Sorry. Wrong shelter for post.

mgeiger
10-27-2011, 16:44
Its a special place for me, having hiked up there my first time on the AT in 86. I've spent one night in there during a wind storm 20 years ago when we could not get our tent set up due to conditions. It needs preserved.

Pixelgator
10-29-2011, 11:36
I agree with max patch. Why is it that in the USA we always want to tear down our past and build new?

Miami Joe
10-30-2011, 01:11
Oh Im kind of fond of it myself. My great grandfather helped build not only that but Walasi as well! Not to mention he was the winter caretaker at Walasi for a few years too. ;)That's way cool!

max patch
11-15-2011, 14:50
Lost cause. That shelter should be closed to camping, Nobody can argue that it's needed. There's already a shelter a few miles south, a campground in the gap south of Blood mountain and a hostel in the gap to its north. Renovation will be a complete waste of time and money because in just a few years it'll be torn up, broke down and look exactly like it does now.

Then they should be used to build a shelter someplace where one is needed.

You're saying the GATC should spend even more money taking care of a structure that isn't needed?

You've stated that the Blood Mountain Shelter is not needed and should not be renovated.

Renovation on the shelter has started.

So...why did you assist on the renovation? What caused you to change your mind and support this worthwhile project?

BlakeGrice
12-20-2011, 01:02
Stayed there last weekend- roof looks great. Its cedar shingles, or at least looks like it. No windows, no door. Cold inside. NO mice all night though.

Dances with Mice
12-20-2011, 06:53
You've stated that the Blood Mountain Shelter is not needed and should not be renovated.

Renovation on the shelter has started.

So...why did you assist on the renovation? What caused you to change your mind and support this worthwhile project?Renovation on the shelter is finished, there will be no windows, shutters or doors installed.

My opinion hasn't changed at all, it is a shelter that is not needed. But it wasn't my decision to make.

I helped because the GATC rehab project crew needed help.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2011, 06:58
NO mice all night though.give it time. the mice and skunks will be back in full force by spring. can't believe they spent a ton of money on that place

Dances with Mice
12-20-2011, 07:23
I helped because the GATC rehab project crew needed help.And because I look good in a hard hat. (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O-HFccKwhxc/TsGxBnyLgcI/AAAAAAAAAjk/ok34-U3qpe8/s320/4-trail%2Bguard.JPG)

Sierra Echo
12-20-2011, 08:11
And because I look good in a hard hat. (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O-HFccKwhxc/TsGxBnyLgcI/AAAAAAAAAjk/ok34-U3qpe8/s320/4-trail%2Bguard.JPG)

Look at you, you sexy beast!!!!

thelowend
01-21-2012, 18:23
I love the shelter on blood.. It may be a tad frivolous but I still dig it.. headed up tonight with my pup in fact =)

mgeiger
01-30-2012, 12:07
I went up yesterday as an extension of a Jarrard Gap/Slaughter Creek loop I did. The place looks good, no debris laying around. I'd use it once again if caught in some wind/rain. I had the big rock to myself for about half an hour, and even had a short nap. You could see Atlanta on the horizon - 72mi away. FWIW, last stop for water headed NOBO was Slaughter Creek (27.2 in, .9 from the summit), and it was flowing very well.