PDA

View Full Version : Cumberland Farms inquiry

M1 Thumb
01-26-2011, 17:06
I have noticed that in the North a store called Cumberland Farms pops up frequently in various listings. I checked their website but it still left me unclear as to what exactly this store is. Is it a grocery store or a convenience store with limited resupply options? If someone who has experience with this business could expand on their operation I would be most appreciative.

10-K
01-26-2011, 17:11
I saw a few and went to a couple - one in Dalton, MA (I believe) and another in Gorham, NH.

It's a convenience store for the most part. The one in Gorham actually had a pretty good amount of food that I thought was suitable for backpacking.

Most importantly, it had a very large coffee section with really large cups. :)

Cookerhiker
01-26-2011, 17:16
It's a convenience store chain located primarily in New England and New York although there may be some in PA as well. Usually there are gas pumps as well.

Since you're from KY, think a slightly larger version of SpeedWays - more like the size of Circle K.

BTW in New England, many small towns have both a Cumberland Falls and a Stewarts. When faced with a choice, keep in mind that Stewarts (http://www.stewartsshops.com/) has outstanding ice cream.

jgiles3311
01-26-2011, 17:45
Hahah. Cumberland Farms, thought you were asking about a farm.

Cumbys is a convience store, usually connected with a gas station. They have microwavable burritos called the "Bomb", literal meaning going in and coming out...

takethisbread
01-26-2011, 18:02
It's limited supply, but it has Ramen and Snickers, so you will survive.

Mountain Wildman
01-26-2011, 18:58
I just came from the Gorham Cumberland Farms, They have a very good selection, Ice cream, candy, donuts, cookies, coffee and coffee supplies, paper goods, pre-packaged sandwiches and wraps, burritos, an ATM machine, milk, soda, gatoraide, bottled water etc..., eggs, bacon, bread, fruit, pepperoni, chips, nuts, cereal, canned goods, They don't have as many options as a grocery store but you could find enough choices to resupply for a week if you needed to.
The Gorham Cumbies also has a Subway Sandwich shop right next to it. Yum Yum:)

Jack Tarlin
01-26-2011, 19:12
Other folks have already told you......it's one of the largest chains of convenience stores in New England and is found in many northern Trail towns. Yes, you can re-supply here, but it's gonna cost you. Funny thing, but they seem to do convenience stores much better in other parts of the country......compared to places like Wawa's or Sheet's, Cumby's has a long way to go.

Toolshed
01-26-2011, 19:31
Great, now I got that silly Cumbie farms tune stuck in my head....

Roland
01-26-2011, 19:31
~
The Gorham Cumbies also has a Subway Sandwich shop right next to it. Yum Yum:)

...soon to be moving to the vacant bank, a few doors down.

Mags
01-26-2011, 22:05
Cumbies!

Rhody's gift (?) to those looking for milk, eggs and other sundries through-out New England when snow storms hit...

Cookerhiker
01-26-2011, 22:13
..... Funny thing, but they seem to do convenience stores much better in other parts of the country......compared to places like Wawa's or Sheet's, Cumby's has a long way to go.

But none of those other places nor do Speedway nor Circle K nor Go Mart nor Turkey Hill nor Rutters - none of them has ice cream like Stewart's.

Toolshed
01-26-2011, 22:15
Other folks have already told you......it's one of the largest chains of convenience stores in New England and is found in many northern Trail towns. Yes, you can re-supply here, but it's gonna cost you. Funny thing, but they seem to do convenience stores much better in other parts of the country......compared to places like Wawa's or Sheet's, Cumby's has a long way to go.

But none of those other places nor do Speedway nor Circle K nor Go Mart nor Turkey Hill nor Rutters - none of them has ice cream like Stewart's.

yes, but nothing stacks up like WaWa's or Sheet's. Anything else is trailer park shopping. (although I do agree with cooker on Stewarts Ice Cream - It is my Keene Valley stop.

4eyedbuzzard
01-26-2011, 22:36
No one mentioned it, but Cumbys does have BEER and BACON as well. Add in a few Snickers bars and I think resupply is covered. ;)
Seriously, I wouldn't want to limit my resupply to what any convenience store stocks though.

Mags
01-26-2011, 23:08
Seriously, I wouldn't want to limit my resupply to what any convenience store stocks though.

Don't do the CDT! :D

I re-supplied at at Conoco and a place called "A sort of store" (seriously) in Leadore, ID.

Highway Man
01-27-2011, 00:47
I resupplied at Cumberland Farms at Greenwood Lake, NY. It's like a convenience store with limited supply. It may satisfy your needs if you are not too picky about the food. There're also a CVS store in the small town.
The motel near the water front is expensive during summer. The owner is an old friendly guy and asked me for $75 a night for a one bed. I ended up sharing the room with other two thru hikers.

peakbagger
01-27-2011, 08:42
The other convenience store chain in northern New England is Irvings Mainway stores. Very similiar to Cumberland Farms. They usually have fresh pastries and cheap bananas. Irving is an oil company and also supplies gas to independent stations, so on occasion in real small towns you will see an Irvings sign but its just a gas station. Irving is based out of New Brunswick Canada so they taper off once you get out of Maine and NH.

There is an Irvings about 2 blocks down the road from Hikers Paradise and a couple of the popular motels in Gorham NH. It supplies plenty of junk food for hikers coming into town, but Cumberland Farms is the the first store encoutered. The Iriving in Medway ME is the closest bus stop to Mt Katahdin so a lot of through hikers end up stopping there even though its more of a truck stop (there are far better places in Millinocket for SOBO's to stop. On occasion there will be a diner or a sandwich shop attached (but not in Gorham or Medway).

Hikemor
01-27-2011, 09:47
Going back to their roots, Cumberland Farms usually has a better dairy selection than most convenience stores. Also, cheapest gas in the NE.

Sickmont
01-27-2011, 09:52
Going back to their roots, Cumberland Farms usually has a better dairy selection than most convenience stores. Also, cheapest gas in the NE.

And when i was a working stiff up north, some damn good coffee in the a.m.'s too......

atraildreamer
01-27-2011, 15:00
Cumbies!

Rhody's gift (?) to those looking for milk, eggs and other sundries through-out New England when snow storms hit...

"Buy milk...buy bread...buy booze...rent videos! It's going to snow...we're all going to DIE!!!" :eek: - reaction of a typical Rhode Islander to ANY forecast of snow! :D

Although there is a Cumberland, Rhode Island, Cumberland Farms is actually based in Massachusetts. A good chain with good prices. :)

If you are in Little Rhody, check out a chain called "L'il General". They have all of the usual convenience store features, a lot of fresh veggies and an AWESOME deli counter! :welcome

Yukon
01-27-2011, 15:06
Scumby's!! lol

Lone Wolf
01-27-2011, 15:09
Although there is a Cumberland, Rhode Island, Cumberland Farms is actually based in Massachusetts. A good chain with good prices.

If you are in Little Rhody, check out a chain called "L'il General". They have all of the usual convenience store features, a lot of fresh veggies and an AWESOME deli counter! :welcome

hmmmm. i was born/raised in r. i. never heard of l'il general

atraildreamer
01-27-2011, 15:19
hmmmm. i was born/raised in r. i. never heard of l'il general

Started as an old time general store on Diamond Hill Road, Cumberland, just south of the Diamond Hill Park. Has stores mostly in northern Rhode Island, maybe 8 locations that I can think of off the top of my head. Good product, reasonable prices and the deli should be visited!! :sun

Lone Wolf
01-27-2011, 15:23
Started as an old time general store on Diamond Hill Road, Cumberland, just south of the Diamond Hill Park. Has stores mostly in northern Rhode Island, maybe 8 locations that I can think of off the top of my head. Good product, reasonable prices and the deli should be visited!! :sun

i'll check them out soon when i come back to r.i. there is no such thing as a good deli down here. or a good diner

Mags
01-27-2011, 15:49
"

Although there is a Cumberland, Rhode Island, Cumberland Farms is actually based in Massachusetts. A good chain with good prices. :)

I

Not quite:
http://www.cumberlandfarms.com/FamilyStory/default.aspx

It may be based in Mass NOW, but it started off in Rhody as an actual farm that sold things...

You are right about the RI mentality when it comes to snow, though. Yowsers!!! :)

When I visited my brother last month, I was caught in that blizzard. Able to get pizza strips and beer, though!

Tinker
01-27-2011, 15:59
i'll check them out soon when i come back to r.i. there is no such thing as a good deli down here. or a good diner
Hey, LW. Don't forget to get in touch with me next time you're up here.
I worked at Cumbys a long time ago. Expensive with limited selections, as others have said.
I can vouch for the existence of Lil' General convenience stores in northern RI. I used to live in Lincoln and owned a landscaping business with a few customers in Cumberland.
Nice section of the state.

atraildreamer
01-27-2011, 16:22
Not quite:
http://www.cumberlandfarms.com/FamilyStory/default.aspx
You are right about the RI mentality when it comes to snow, though. Yowsers!!! :)

When I visited my brother last month, I was caught in that blizzard. Able to get pizza strips and beer, though!

Sitting here typing and looking out the window at the 12 inches of snow that the 3rd Northeaster in 4 weeks has dumped on the state. We are up to 32 inches for the year, and more expected next week! :eek: I hate winter! :mad:

The buy milk...buy bread mentality is a holdover from the Blizzard of 1978 (also caused by a Northeaster) when the state was shut down for over a week by the massive snowfall received.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northeastern_United_States_blizzard_of_1978

The pizza delivery guys must do a good business when people are stuck in their homes! But the guy in the picture isn't going anywhere for a while! :D