PDA

View Full Version : I'm FINALLY an UL'er!

wacocelt
12-30-2004, 13:30
Had my winter pack weighed this morning, with 16oz of fuel, 40oz of water and 3.5 days of food it came to 20.35lbs. Keep in mind however, I don't count the clothing or shoes I hike in as pack weight but since I'm hiking in trail runners and polypro clothing I doubt my total would be much more than 25. Did I mention thats my WINTER weight!?
My wife was so very proud of me when I gave her the news, after all it was she and my FIL, not to mention you wonderful WB'erz, who fully converted me to Ultra-Lite Hiking. I'll keep you informed as to whether or not I start to freeze my goods off and have to add 10-12lbs, but I highly doubt it.

OK, where do I get my cookie?! :D

hikerjohnd
12-30-2004, 13:34
Congratulations! I'm working on it, but I'll never get that light! Good luck! Hope to see you out on the trail!

tlbj6142
12-30-2004, 13:49
Now that you have the setup, go use it. You'll probably end up making changes. Sometimes, X wasn't as useful as you thouht. Or doesn't work well if Y happens, etc.

Thankfully, experience doesn't weigh a thing, but is the most important item to take with you on a UL trip.

DavidR
12-30-2004, 14:01
Now that you have the setup, go use it. You'll probably end up making changes. Sometimes, X wasn't as useful as you thouht. Or doesn't work well if Y happens, etc.

Thankfully, experience doesn't weigh a thing, but is the most important item to take with you on a UL trip.I agree with this 100%. You never know how well something works or doesn't Can we see your gear list?

wacocelt
12-30-2004, 14:03
Now that you have the setup, go use it.

You don't have to tell me twice, I start hiking north day after tomorrow! :D

Can we see your gear list?

I'll have one listed for you as soon as I find out the actual names and models of a few peices of my gear (light weight hand me downs etc). Sorry to be a let down, but I'll get that info out to you ASAP.

Lilred
12-30-2004, 14:07
You don't have to tell me twice, I start hiking north day after tomorrow! :D

Congrats on starting your thru attempt. I'm green with envy :D

Best of luck to you...

TDale
12-30-2004, 14:36
OK, where do I get my cookie?! :D
Katadhin.

Good luck, happy trails!

snarbles
12-30-2004, 17:45
Gear List...??? :clap

oldfivetango
01-10-2005, 09:35
I agree with this 100%. You never know how well something works or doesn't Can we see your gear list?
Yup- i second that motion-can we see that gear list and the Exact
food list? I have an inquiring mind and you know what they say- inquiring
minds want to know!

I was able to trim off a few pounds by going to real light rain gear and
alcohol stove but that was about it.I dont want a lecture on down bags
because they don't work when wet but for those who love feathers I say
"goforit".
Also would be interested in the absolute total pack out weight.My pack with
winter bag,clothes,rainsuit,tevas,toiletries & meds,pots,stove,hammock with
HH winter kit, water filter & spare parts etc is running around 35 pounds.Add about 12 for food and a liter of water and we are at 50 which
is my absolute max "doable" load.
Anyone else got the same weight problem?
Oldfivetango :-?

Lone Wolf
01-10-2005, 09:37
I'm a Go Heavier.

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 10:31
I'm a Go Heavier.

From what I've heard, you probably weight less with a full pack on TODAY, than you did without the pack last year at this time.

Lone Wolf
01-10-2005, 13:22
Yup. I've lost around 50 lbs. since September. :)

wacocelt
01-10-2005, 13:22
The only thing I'm packing right now is a kidney stone, so pardon me if I'm in absolutely no hurry to appease any of you with my gear list.

I'm putting off returning to the trail until March, when my wife can join me, at which point I'll consider giving a gear list. I'll most likely just refrain from posting in the Ultra Lite forums however, as the tendency for folks to nit-pick and give unasked and unwanted advice and opinions drifts toward the nauseating.

That's mostly the pain and frustration of my stone talking, mostly.

Edit:: L.Wolf can verify that I was carrying about half as much as he lost.

Footslogger
01-10-2005, 13:45
[QUOTE=wacocelt]The only thing I'm packing right now is a kidney stone, so pardon me if I'm in absolutely no hurry to appease any of you with my gear list.

QUOTE]
=======================================
Best of luck with the kidney stone. As it turned out I did the entire thru-hike in 2003 with pretty serious kidney stones myself. I had some symptoms prior to the hike but was treated for giardia. I had a history of kidney stones so I should have known better ...but I figured that 2003 was my only shot and I wasn't going to give in or postpone my hike for anything. I was pretty miserable from time to time along the trail and even had an episode of hypothermia due to an acute kidney stone attack one morning in the Whites. After I got home from Katahdin I paid a visit to the urologist who promptly informed me that my stones had progressed in size such that they would not pass spontaneously. So ...off to surgery I went (2 times). By late January 2004 I was back on my feet and feeling great.

I've always wondered just how much more enjoyable my thru-hike would have been without the stones along for the ride.

Anyhew ...I've been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

'Slogger
AT 2003

oldfivetango
01-10-2005, 14:18
I'm a Go Heavier.
I'm wondering how heavy you go L Wolf?
Also, will my 50 pound external frame pack get me laughed
at out on the trail? Maybe I can "fit in" with the crowd better
when i offer up a little toddy during happy hour.
Also-I'm curious at the heaviest load and some of the most useless
junk any of you experienced packers have observed in your travels on the
trail.
As an aside to all this- my copy of the 2005 WF handbook came today.
Yippee! I know he would just die if he knew he took Republican money
but it does appear to be a concise and lightweight tome of information.;)
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
01-10-2005, 14:21
I carry 35-40 lbs.

MOWGLI
01-10-2005, 14:23
Also-I'm curious at the heaviest load and some of the most useless
junk any of you experienced packers have observed in your travels on the
trail.

Heaviest load? House left Amicalola Falls SP with 110 pounds in 2000. That included an extra pair of boots, a cast iron skillet, dozens of cans of soups and other heavy food stuffs, and a 12 pack of beer and a quart of booze to celebrate on Springer.

I met him some weeks later when he was down to about 50 pounds. He eventually got bored of trail life and dropped out.

Most useless junk? I led a beginner backpacking trip for a hiking club recently. It was just an overnight here in Tennessee. One of the participants brought a portable TV. I convinced him to leave it behind. He said it was his wife's idea, in case he got bored.

Jaybird
01-10-2005, 14:25
Way to go WC!

youre my HERO.

i still carry 30-35 lbs. (thats with 7 days water & food)

maybe we'll see u out there when we're section-hiking Apr 28-May 21. :D

Lilred
01-10-2005, 19:30
Way to go WC!

youre my HERO.

i still carry 30-35 lbs. (thats with 7 days water & food)

maybe we'll see u out there when we're section-hiking Apr 28-May 21. :D

I carry about the same, not a U-L'er yet. Jaybird, we're not coordinating our hikes too well. I'm leaving out June 1st :cool: