PDA

View Full Version : Info on Vintage Hiking Boots?

eafiii
01-26-2011, 19:55
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/eafiii/Boots/P1030204.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/eafiii/Boots/P1030210.jpg
I'm not a hiker, just a guy who ocassionally buys his boots at Goodwill and I found a nice, really unique old pair of boots, and I want to restore them and care for the leather properly, but I'm having trouble. The leather is so stiff and non porous that it won't seam to take the treatments or lotions I use on other leather shoes.

Would any of you hikers know the approximate vintage might be on Dunham's Tyroleans model #7531? My main question is whether the leather needs to be treated like shell cordovan. Man, it is so hardshell that I can make a deep knocking sound on them with my knuckle.

restless
01-26-2011, 20:01
The only info i could find is that they appear to date to the early 60's

Elder
01-26-2011, 20:38
Sixties is about right, maybe early 70's.
Use mink oil if you want to soften them...not the best choice.
Use Sno seal (wax based) to correctly seal and treat them. I might saddle soap the lining to give it new life.
Classic old boots.

Elder
01-26-2011, 20:39
You might also contact the Dunham boot co.. I think they are still around. They might swap you history for some new ones.

eafiii
01-27-2011, 18:48
You might also contact the Dunham boot co.. I think they are still around. They might swap you history for some new ones.

I sent an e-mail to Dunham's but the address was someone with New Balance, so I don't know if they'll have historical info or if they'll care about it.

Should I maintain these and wear them or are they functionally obsolete?
I just need some ankle high leather street shoes/boots for a couple of Wisconsin months. Something that looks and feels like a quality shoe that I can wear in slushy parking lots without getting sopping wet feet or changing from heavy winter boots into shoes.

Do you think these would fit the bill? I hope so. I like the way they feel (still breaking in the ankle area, though).

Pedaling Fool
01-27-2011, 19:03
I would contact these people; they've been manufacturing leather boots for generations. http://www.limmerboot.com/#

Open up the "who we are" window and it gives contact info.

moytoy
01-29-2011, 05:30
I would contact these people; they've been manufacturing leather boots for generations. http://www.limmerboot.com/#

Open up the "who we are" window and it gives contact info.

I don't find any connection between Limmerboot and Dunham boot. Dunham Boot Co. was bought by NB in 1998. They both use the name Tyrolean on some of their product. Am I missing some connection?

moytoy
01-29-2011, 05:42
The Limmer boot site that JG references gives a good rundown on how to care for leather boots. Click on 'boot information'.

Toolshed
01-29-2011, 09:56
I think Dunham was bought out by New Balance about 5-6 years ago. You might check their corporate offices for information on the Tyroleans..

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2011, 10:09
I don't find any connection between Limmerboot and Dunham boot. Dunham Boot Co. was bought by NB in 1998. They both use the name Tyrolean on some of their product. Am I missing some connection?
They know a lot about leather, that's all.

moytoy
01-29-2011, 11:02
They know a lot about leather, that's all.
Yo...I got it after I reread your post.:D

Grampie
01-29-2011, 12:42
I got a pair of Dunham boots like those for Christmas in 1969. Lasted about 20 years.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2011, 12:49
They're likely late 60's early 70's as previously posted. I owned a pair of "Dunham Continental Tyroleans" that were similar but perhaps an inch higher and had a scree shield. They were good boots. And they were heavy boots. Good ol' waffle stompers.

peakbagger
01-31-2011, 09:50
I would deifnitely talk to Limmer and consider buying some Limmer grease for these boots. Dunham is long gone, just a trademark of New Balance.

Older boots tended to be built out of stiffer leather and Limmers still are. They take longer to break in, but once they are broke in they tend to last a long time. I know folks with Limmers that are over 25 years old (they have been resoled a few times). The Limmers and other boots frequently didnt use removable insoles, instead the intent was for the feet to slowly sink into the leather at the base of the boots, that took quite ahwhile. Once the foot pads fit one persons feet, they were useless for anyone else.