PDA

View Full Version : ULA Circuit vs Gossamer Gear Mariposa

Buffalo Skipper
01-27-2011, 10:28
These are two packs at the top of my short list. Can anyone give me a comparison of these? Capacity is similar enough that I feel that either will be sufficient for my gear; cost difference is $30 (minimal) and the Circuit is only about 6 oz heavier (negligable).

I guess the main thing I am looking for is comfort, loading and durability.

Normal loaded weight will be about 22-25 pounds; never over 30.

Any thoughts?

Bags4266
01-27-2011, 11:00
Does that $30. difference include buying 2 hip pockets to match the ULA?

Buffalo Skipper
01-27-2011, 11:03
Does that $30. difference include buying 2 hip pockets to match the ULA?

Good catch, and yes, I would want the hip pockets. But as I said the $$$ difference is of little consequence.

skinewmexico
01-27-2011, 11:30
Tough call. I use my Circuit when I'm going to be on the upper end of the weight spectrum, or carrying lots of water (same thing, I guess), or when I'll be around a lot of stickers and thorns. Otherwise, I'll use the Mariposa Plus. The Mariposa is a little more finicky about loading for me, since it doesn't have load lifters. It also seems a little plusher (how's that for anecdotal?). Both great companies, and great people to talk to. Now if you were talking GG Gorilla vs. ULA CDT, I could overwhelmingly say Gorilla.

royalusa
01-27-2011, 12:11
We have both of those packs, though the 2009 or 2010 versions. I’m assuming you are really talking about the Mariposa Plus, not the older version of a GG pack they had called just Mariposa.

My wife uses the Mariposa Plus. I use the Circuit. I wanted the better suspension system. The Mariposa Plus does not have the suspension load lifters (I think that’s what they are called – ie the straps that you pull behind your shoulders that lifts and pulls the pack closer to your back). With this better suspension system I like the way the Circuit handles the heavier loads – in my mind it handles it better than the Mariposa Plus. If I had to define “heavier loads”, I think it would be 25 – 30 pounds. Around 20 pounds, the packs are a toss-up, in my mind.

However I did try on my wife’s loaded Mariposa Plus one time and loved how it felt. It didn’t seem to ride as low as my Circuit, but then again, it could be because her pack is a size small and mine Circuit was a medium.

On the Mariposa Plus, she really likes the pocket to store the sleeping pad as well as the flat upper pocket on the one side that we use to store the guidebook. I’m not sure if this is how all sizes of the Mariposa Plus work, but on the small version of her pack, she had to cut 3.5 inches off the width of her Thermarest z-lite pad in order to fit it in the pocket. She’s small so the 3.5 inches was not a big deal for her, but something to double check on for sure. It was a surprise to us when we had to cut her pad, as we did not need to on the older version of the Mariposa we have. The width of her cut-down z-lite is now 17 inches wide. She also uses just 6 sections of the z-lite pad, but the pocket does appear to hold all 10 sections of the z-lite pad if that is what you want to carry, though you might want to double check on that as well.

There is a weight difference between the 2 packs. The Mariposa Plus weighs 22.3 ounces (size M). The Circuit is 36 ounces (size M) NOT including the 2-ounce stay and the 1.4-ounce hydration sleeve to make it an even comparison to the Mariposa Plus (so 22.3 ounces vs. 39.4 ounces). If you add all the removable components to the Circuit, the total weight is more like 41 or 42 ounces. Again, you might want to double-check me on these numbers. The Circuit uses the heavier fabric in more places than the Mariposa Plus, so that is one of the weight differences.

The Circuit also has the nice hip pockets, something the Mariposa Plus does not. But that may not be a deal breaker if you don’t want them. I use one hip pocket for the camera and one for snacks and like having both.

With both packs, we now skip the rain pack covers as the ripstop nylon does not hold much water and they tend to dry quickly – the slowest dry areas are the places where the heavier fabrics are used – for example the bottom of the Mariposa Plus.

Hope that helps. We love both of the packs and would buy both again…though I do use my ULA Olm more than my Circuit.

Both are great companies with great quality.

royalusa
01-27-2011, 12:24
Oh, I guess I should have also told you that my wife's Mariposa made it the whole way on our 2008 thru-hike and still looks like it's in excellent condition and could do another thru-hike easily. I did not have my ULA packs for the our thru...sure wish I did. Both packs (ULA or GG) under proper care can last for several (or numerous?) thru-hikes.

Buffalo Skipper
01-27-2011, 16:19
Thanks for all the good and very useful info. Knowing that the Mariposa Plus is finicky is important. As are the hip pockets. I do not like too many pockets for gear, but to me, it seems that having hip pockets would be nice (I have none now on my Aether 70, but do on my Stratos 24).

It is also important to me that the Circuit has a more robust suspension. Though I had realized that, I appreciate your reminding me of that fact.

Any other thoughts to add about either of these packs?

royalusa
01-27-2011, 16:42
You could always buy both, load them with your gear/food/water, walk around the block and then return the one you don't want. Your only cost of doing so, I believe, would be the return shipping. Not too bad for being able to try out both packs and making the decision that is right for you.

Miner
01-27-2011, 16:45
I like my Circuit and it worked well for my 09 PCT hike where large water loads, long resupply intervals, and a required bearcan in the High Sierra caused my loads to exceed 30lbs on many occasions and the suspension was nice to have. That said, if you truly are going to always keep the weight under 30lbs, shouldn't you be looking at ULA's Ohm instead of the Circuit. I normally use my older ULA Conduit (now the CDT) rather then the Circuit on most trips except those that need to carry 30+ lbs. weights or on 7+ day trips when I need the extra room as the Circuit is overkill otherwise.

If you are only looking at the 2 packs in your list for the weight range you mention, you may as well go with the Mariposa.

Two Tents
01-27-2011, 16:47
I have the Mariposa plus and I've had 25 lbs in it without issues. I did get add on hip pockets from GG cause I like having some stuff handy. I also have a GG fanny pack that goes around the pack and is right above the main pocket while hiking (acts as another outside pocket). I take the fanny pack off to wear around camp or in town. I also have a lid for the pack which I can leave off. So there are plenty of ways to trick it out with extra pockets. I can still be at a 13 lb base weight for a long distance set up. I do not think it is finicky once you get it adjusted.

skinewmexico
01-27-2011, 18:42
I wasn't trying to diss the Mariposa when it comes to loading, you just have to have a system, and keep heavier things closer to your back. Or I do. You just have to have somewhat of a plan, rather than dump everything in the top.

Singletrack
03-16-2011, 06:33
Tough call. I use my Circuit when I'm going to be on the upper end of the weight spectrum, or carrying lots of water (same thing, I guess), or when I'll be around a lot of stickers and thorns. Otherwise, I'll use the Mariposa Plus. The Mariposa is a little more finicky about loading for me, since it doesn't have load lifters. It also seems a little plusher (how's that for anecdotal?). Both great companies, and great people to talk to. Now if you were talking GG Gorilla vs. ULA CDT, I could overwhelmingly say Gorilla.

I'm hoping you can answer these questions for me since you own, and are familiar with the ULA Circuit. I have one on order, and since reading many posts have concerns that the pack may be too large for my gear. Particularly my Summer gear, which without the pack the base weight is 125 ounces. This includes a Montbell UL Stretch #5 SB, in a pack liner. 4L clothes bag, Tarptent Sublite Sil, Thermarest Prolite 3 small, and a food bag. These are the things I want to put in the 2400 cu.in. main pack. The rest of the gear will fit in the other pockets on the outside, or the extension collar.
I do multi week trips, and at times have quiet a bit of food. And, want the Circuit to replace my Granite Gear Vapor Trail that I have used for over 10 years now. The Vapor Trail is way too big, but is still doable.
Any help is appreciated.

godsfshrmn
03-19-2011, 15:39
A bit OT, but do you guys think the Circuit is large enough for a 7 day trip with the general basic gear(pad, sleeping bag, stove, pot etc), minus a tent?

skinewmexico
03-19-2011, 16:59
I'm hoping you can answer these questions for me since you own, and are familiar with the ULA Circuit. I have one on order, and since reading many posts have concerns that the pack may be too large for my gear. Particularly my Summer gear, which without the pack the base weight is 125 ounces. This includes a Montbell UL Stretch #5 SB, in a pack liner. 4L clothes bag, Tarptent Sublite Sil, Thermarest Prolite 3 small, and a food bag. These are the things I want to put in the 2400 cu.in. main pack. The rest of the gear will fit in the other pockets on the outside, or the extension collar.
I do multi week trips, and at times have quiet a bit of food. And, want the Circuit to replace my Granite Gear Vapor Trail that I have used for over 10 years now. The Vapor Trail is way too big, but is still doable.
Any help is appreciated.

Probably a little big, but everything should fit inside and compress. Well, may not be too big with the Prolite 3 (get an air mattress!). For a multi week trip, I don't think it would be too big.

skinewmexico
03-19-2011, 16:59
A bit OT, but do you guys think the Circuit is large enough for a 7 day trip with the general basic gear(pad, sleeping bag, stove, pot etc), minus a tent?

If you have the right sleeping bag, pad, and stove, yes. Easily.

RayBan
03-19-2011, 17:00

Absolutely if you're carrying "normal" gear even with a lightweight tent (e.g., TT Moment): I've done it when I had a Circuit before downsizing to an Ohm.

Singletrack
03-19-2011, 17:56
I recieved my Circuit on Friday. Like the ULA P2 I had a number of years ago, it is high quality. Really surprised that it weighed less than the advertised weight of 36 ounces. Mine is 32.98 ounces, after removing the removal items. I have a size medium, with a small hipbelt.
I like using a foam sleep pad, so I rolled my Walmart blue pad, cut down to 20X51, and put it in, and slid my sleeping bag and clothes all in a dry sack, my tarptent, food bag and pot, and finally my rain gear on top. Outside, my water bottles, ground cloth, and TP, with other items in the hipbelt pockets.
Trying to use a Prolite 3 small, left too much space, and the use of more stuff sacks. I think I will be happier using the Walmart pad set up. This gives me a base weight well under 10lbs.
The Circuit is a keeper.

desertnomad
03-30-2011, 18:57
My wife used the Circut on the AT last year and I had the GG Mariposa Plus. Both packs did really well. As a side note I've have used a ULA Catalyst for years as well. ULA packs are better for heavier loads. Heavier, I know, is a relative term. You say you're typically carrying 22-25 pounds. The Mariposa Plus starts to become uncomfotable at around 25 lbs. By 30 it's really uncomfrtable. If this really is what you expect to carry then I'd go with the ULA. If you can cut your baseweight down so that you're typcailly carrying under 20 lbs (not baseweight) then I'd go with Mariposa Plus.

woodsy
03-30-2011, 19:56
I owned a ULA circuit until i let my son try it out. Big mistake, now he owns it.
Now i need to order another one.
Honestly though, hardly know its on your back with 20-25 lbs of gear in it.

Buffalo Skipper
03-31-2011, 15:26
I emailed Chris today with a question. Though his reply was brief, it answered my question. I am just about to pull the trigger on a ULA Circuit.

I can't wait...

Chubbs4U
04-03-2011, 19:41
Couple of people said they had lids for one or both of these bags. I have one of these bags and would love a lid. What lid did you get?

Singletrack
04-14-2011, 13:31
One of the best features of the Circuit, is that you can adjust the hipbelt up or down to fit your torso.

Buffalo Skipper
04-14-2011, 13:36
One of the best features of the Circuit, is that you can adjust the hipbelt up or down to fit your torso.

I was not aware of that. This only reinforces my desire to get one. Thanks for the info. I should order mine sometime around May 1. :banana

Keep the info coming! :cool:

skinewmexico
04-14-2011, 19:42

Really? Is that new?

Singletrack
04-14-2011, 20:53
Really? Is that new?

I am not sure if that is new. I bought the 2011 version. I was playing around with the hipbelt, and discovered that I could unvelcro the hipbelt, and move it up or down. I found a sweet spot for my torso size. I started thinking that maybe I should not do this. It might cause the pack not to carry properly. So, I emailed ULA asking if I should do this. Dave e-mailed back, and said yes thats what it is for, changeable to fit ones torso size.
Mine is a medium, size 18-21. I am closer to 19 than 21. So I moved the hipbelt up, because it was originally at its lowest point, which would be size 21.

Buffalo Skipper
04-21-2011, 15:23
Well, I finally did it! I ordered my ULA Circuit! With the custom tarp and underquilt I have recently aquired, that will bring my summer base weight down to below 13 lbs. Details later as I get everything sorted and weighed.

I am in the Gulf south, so I expect it will be at least Tuesday or Wednesday next week before I receive it. Can't wait!

STICK
04-21-2011, 22:03
Congrats! If you love it anywhere near as much as I do mine, you will never want another pack... :) (at least til you go lighter....have you looked at the OHM? ... the CDT? ... :) )

Buffalo Skipper
04-22-2011, 09:48
Congrats! If you love it anywhere near as much as I do mine, you will never want another pack... :) (at least til you go lighter....have you looked at the OHM? ... the CDT? ... :) )

Stick, it was watching your video right after you posted it that made me want to get it. I have never seen one in the flesh, so your video was the closest I have come to putting my hands one. Thanks.

I think (hope) I will be satisified with the Circuit. I do mainly winter (3 season) backpacking, so I need a little extra space. I am already near the minimum of gear I expect to bring, and expect for picking up a winter top quilt (for a roughly 1.2 lb savings), I do not see where I am likely to shave much more. Short of that small item, I am about where I expect to be.

Again, I will follow up with my winter (and summer) pack outs and list soon. Wednesday is the scheduled arrival date (UPS ground).

FamilyGuy
04-25-2011, 00:07
Really? Is that new?

No - it has been like that since it came out. It really is more like 1/2" but it does provide some movement.