PDA

View Full Version : For Those Stuck In The Cubicle.....

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 12:08
...this one is for you!

I had an epiphany last night on the treadmill at the gym. As I closed my eyes,I had the incline all the way up and was walking along. Suddenly my mind began to drift and I could literally see the trail and the mountains in front of me. It was a very surreal moment.

I NEED those hills,Living in the city is getting to me, my cubicle is smothering me, I NEED TO ESCAPE!!!!

Anyone else ever have these thoughts run through their mind???

Lone Wolf
01-27-2011, 12:10

no cuz i live in damascus and can hit the hills any damn time i want. goin' for a run on the creeper right now :)

flemdawg1
01-27-2011, 12:12
Sounds like you should take up trail running. Treadmills suck.

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 12:18
LW,

Got alot of repect for you, you've earned your chance to live in such a great town and the opprotunity to enjoy the lifestyle everyday. I can only hope to be in those shoes one day....at the same time I'm green with envy!:)

I do trail running around here some and it is much better, but living in the city , it is much more convenient to go to the gym rather than drive 30 minutes out of town to the half way decent trails in the area.

fredmugs
01-27-2011, 12:18
Thanks for reminding me I'm stuck in a cube. I also recommend you do a little research into the meaning of the word epiphany. Unless of course you over dramatize every facet of your life.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2011, 12:20
LW,

Got alot of repect for you, you've earned your chance to live in such a great town and the opprotunity to enjoy the lifestyle everyday. I can only hope to be in those shoes one day....at the same time I'm green with envy!:)

I do trail running around here some and it is much better, but living in the city , it is much more convenient to go to the gym rather than drive 30 minutes out of town to the half way decent trails in the area.

you're young. it's all about choices. make it happen

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 12:20
Thanks for reminding me I'm stuck in a cube. I also recommend you do a little research into the meaning of the word epiphany. Unless of course you over dramatize every facet of your life.
I do Fred....Thanks!....Glad I could point out your sour grapes to you!

Pommes
01-27-2011, 12:24
Quit your job. Move out of the city.

sbhikes
01-27-2011, 12:28
I live in an outdoor paradise. Santa Barbara. I walk to work. It's been sunny and warm all month so far. Sometimes I will dream of walking the trail as I walk the sidewalk to work. If I try hard enough, it's almost like I'm really there.

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 12:44
Quit your job. Move out of the city.

Can't quite swing that! Gotta make that Cheddah! But, the thought has been crossing my mind to look into a relocation to a town closer to the mountains. I'm originally from Asheville, NC and would love to get back, ...sooooo, if anyone know of any work up there let me know!

Luddite
01-27-2011, 12:53
Sounds like you should take up trail running. Treadmills suck.

Yeah they do and when you get off of one after about an hour it feels like you're doing the moonwalk.

I'm originally from Asheville, NC and would love to get back, ...sooooo, if anyone know of any work up there let me know!

I know of a good summer job not too far from Asheville.

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 13:01
Do tell Luddite...

Lone Wolf
01-27-2011, 13:10
Can't quite swing that! Gotta make that Cheddah! But, the thought has been crossing my mind to look into a relocation to a town closer to the mountains. I'm originally from Asheville, NC and would love to get back, ...sooooo, if anyone know of any work up there let me know!

what is your profession?

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 13:13
what is your profession?
Sales and Management

YohonPetro
01-27-2011, 13:36
I am stuck in the cube. But I'm planning on changes:
A) save enough money for a Thru
B) Go on my hike
C) ????
D) Profit!

In reality, the hike is going to be the beginning of some major life changes, a clean start, with no boundaries or destination.

Hoop
01-27-2011, 14:02
"...on the treadmill at the gym...Anyone else ever have these thoughts?"

You bet.

SamXp
01-27-2011, 14:04
I am stuck in the cube. But I'm planning on changes:
A) save enough money for a Thru
B) Go on my hike
C) ????
D) Profit!

In reality, the hike is going to be the beginning of some major life changes, a clean start, with no boundaries or destination.
Definitely didn't expect to see A, B, ?? Profit on WB! Thanks for the chuckle! :D

jlo
01-27-2011, 14:47
Brother Pete,
I'm stuck in more of a cube, but definitely go a little crazy at times waiting for my hike to start. And I'm in a city, and being averse to treadmills and the gym, I run through the city where I fight traffic and smog and trash and dogs. But I think all the anticipation will simply make the hike more enjoyable when it comes :)

Delta-Dawn
01-27-2011, 14:57
I may not be in the cubicle, but I'm stuck too. Yesterday was the worse day at work I have had in a while, coupled with the constant dreariness of winter and I was near tears by the time I got home. I have got to get out of this town! I need mountain air, hills to climb that are not covered in pavement and hundreds of dog walkers. I need to get away from my job! (severe burn out in effect)

But today is better. Why? ATJourneys was in the mailbox last night; the sun is shining today; and there is only a few more months until I can officially tell the non-cubicle but still no door to my office Hades that I have to work at to kiss my grits and then it is hike time! :)

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 15:05
Brother Pete,
I'm stuck in more of a cube, but definitely go a little crazy at times waiting for my hike to start. And I'm in a city, and being averse to treadmills and the gym, I run through the city where I fight traffic and smog and trash and dogs. But I think all the anticipation will simply make the hike more enjoyable when it comes :)

I may not be in the cubicle, but I'm stuck too. Yesterday was the worse day at work I have had in a while, coupled with the constant dreariness of winter and I was near tears by the time I got home. I have got to get out of this town! I need mountain air, hills to climb that are not covered in pavement and hundreds of dog walkers. I need to get away from my job! (severe burn out in effect)

But today is better. Why? ATJourneys was in the mailbox last night; the sun is shining today; and there is only a few more months until I can officially tell the non-cubicle but still no door to my office Hades that I have to work at to kiss my grits and then it is hike time! :)

Glad to know a few others have the -itis ...

Crotalus
01-27-2011, 15:32
...this one is for you!

Every day, centered more around fly fishing though.

Lone Wolf
01-27-2011, 15:35

golf and ridin' my Harley for me :cool:

Delta-Dawn
01-27-2011, 16:44

That sounds like my hubby. He is really looking forward to when he takes us to Maine. We've heard there is great FF up there. :)

Graywolf
01-27-2011, 17:00
...this one is for you!

I had an epiphany last night on the treadmill at the gym. As I closed my eyes,I had the incline all the way up and was walking along. Suddenly my mind began to drift and I could literally see the trail and the mountains in front of me. It was a very surreal moment.

I NEED those hills,Living in the city is getting to me, my cubicle is smothering me, I NEED TO ESCAPE!!!!

Every damn day Im stuck in the city.. ..

I go for walks around the little walking path around the pond. Looking at the trees and the clouds beyond, I envision them as Mountains and Forests.. It makes the walk so much easier to bear.. Until some kid runs out in front of me knocking me back into reality..I need a real HIKE!

Tipi Walter
01-27-2011, 17:05
The solution to citification and In-Cube Dementia is laughingly simple: Sleep outside every night, either on your deck in a bedroll or out in the yard in a tent or a hammock etc. This is especially important in the winter. It's all about getting your bag nights, pure and simple.

Sickmont
01-27-2011, 17:08
......just shoot me. Please.

Sickmont
01-27-2011, 17:08
......just shoot me. Please.

Not really, of course. But i know the feeling all too well.

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 17:09
The solution to citification and In-Cube Dementia is laughingly simple: Sleep outside every night, either on your deck in a bedroll or out in the yard in a tent or a hammock etc. This is especially important in the winter. It's all about getting your bag nights, pure and simple.
In my neighborhood, I would either be robbed or mistaken for a homeless person and sent to the shelter! have been know to bust the bag out on the floor in the condo!

Good point though, overnighter in the works for a couple weeks from now!

Graywolf
01-27-2011, 17:34

Because that is illegal here.. Even in your own back yard..Really!!

LIhikers
01-27-2011, 18:26

Walter's got the right idea.

In my neighborhood, I would either be robbed or mistaken for a homeless person and sent to the shelter! have been know to bust the bag out on the floor in the condo!

That's an alternative. Turn off the heat, open the windows and get a bag night on your bedroom floor.

Now that's just a plain shame. Who's yard is it anyway?

Pedaling Fool
01-27-2011, 18:54
OK, come on now...illegal or against the rules of you apartment complex, or whatever, but illegal as in a state law? Or a city ordinance? I tend to believe it's something other than a law/ordinance.

Pete Moss
01-27-2011, 18:58
Regardless of the law...it's about getting OUT of the city to enjoy the hills.

Pommes
01-27-2011, 20:03

I've had some of the best times of my life 'ninja camping'. Climb high up in the tree and string up your hammock. Sleep in the bushes with nothing but a bivy sack. Its fun and can be exciting. Be young.

Joshuatree
01-27-2011, 20:04
Sitting on a stream or a lake somewhere fishing. Wouldn't matter if it was raining

Tipi Walter
01-27-2011, 20:05

Where do you live, North Korea?

Crotalus
01-27-2011, 20:13
Sitting on a stream or a lake somewhere fishing. Wouldn't matter if it was raining

I actually really enjoy standing in a stream fly fishing in a snow shower.

Awol1970
01-27-2011, 20:20

Where do you live, North Korea?

Two brilliant posts. Well done.

Joshuatree
01-28-2011, 17:33

It seems the worse the weather the better the steelies or walleyes bite. Theres nothing like standing waist deep in a stream with a little lake effect snow moving through. I still have about 2 months before the ice loosens enough to start hitting the rivers.

Sierra Echo
01-28-2011, 17:38
...this one is for you!

Are you afraid you might get cold if you go day hiking on the weekends???

hikerboy57
01-28-2011, 17:41

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Steven_Wright/)

Pete Moss
01-28-2011, 17:55
Are you afraid you might get cold if you go day hiking on the weekends???

No, I get out some. City life is just cramping my style thats all. Just want to go all Jeremiah Johnson, and get out for good, thats' all.

IceAge
01-28-2011, 18:05

You've convinced me.

I've been waiting to make a second attempt at building an igloo this winter, but the weather isn't cooperating. I think I'll just set up the four-season tent in the yard and get some bag nights this weekend.