PDA

View Full Version : Down Jacket

FORTIS
01-27-2011, 12:55
Departure date will be the the first or second week of March. I'm considering bringing a down jacket for camp. I was wondering, between the WM Hooded Flash Jacket (9oz) and the WM Fight Jacket (11.5oz) which one would you bring? I think the Meltdown (17oz) would be overkill.

It's true, my pack is full of FEAR! :eek: But I'm hoping with experience to throw some of that fear out as my hike progresses.

Thanks for the help

Bags4266
01-27-2011, 13:42
I always love a jacket with a hood attached they just feel warmer to me.

Hoop
01-27-2011, 13:53
The hooded one has a little tougher skin than the other.

George in VA
01-27-2011, 14:08
I have always liked a dedicated fleece hat combined with a high collared down jacket -- I find it easier to see, hear, and talk with people at a campsite without an attached hood getting in the way. This is strictly a personal preference on my part. As you have already seen, some people absolutely love their hooded down jackets.

If you're just sitting around it can get cold. Especially on damp March / April evenings and mornings. I recently upgraded to a Marmot Zeus down jacket for my Spring and Fall backpacking -- nice fit, high collar, and very warm for its 14 oz.

George

Blissful
01-27-2011, 14:10
If the lighter one will be warm for you, I'd go with that.

Tinker
01-27-2011, 16:35
I don't know how cold it gets in Austin, but it probably never gets as damp as it does on the AT. I would plan on a few nights between 5 and 15 degrees. Figure on what you might need based on that. These temps. are probably as low as you'll see, given your departure date, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
Remember, you can layer a bunch of clothing also, and use your sleeping bag as a wrap around your shoulders as well.

Creek Dancer
01-27-2011, 16:51
YOu might want to check out down "sweaters", which are basically the same thing as a down jacket (with a zipper, pockets, etc.), but a little less bulk and weight than some down jackets. I have a old Marmot down sweater (can't find the link) that is plenty warm for me, and I typically get very cold, very easily. I also wear my down sweater inside my sleeping bag if the night is especially cold.

Linesman
01-27-2011, 17:07
Get the Flash Jacket it looks baller and if you layer with your rain jacket and a fleece you will be fine.

Tipi Walter
01-27-2011, 17:08
I'd go with the heaviest one you can find, within reason. I use WM Flight down pants and the Flight jacket would be a perfect choice. For long term winter camping I use a Feathered Friends parka but it's way too heavy for most of you guys, but I'm dang glad I had it on my last two winter trips.

Canada Goose
01-27-2011, 22:02
I recently upgraded to a Marmot Zeus down jacket for my Spring and Fall backpacking -- nice fit, high collar, and very warm for its 14 oz.

George

On sale now, at Campmor....

http://www.campmor.com/marmot-mens-zeus-jacket.shtml

soulslosher
01-28-2011, 22:11

Thanks for the heads up! A nice down or synthetic jacket was one of the few remaining things I needed to complete my list..

Sassafras Lass
01-29-2011, 17:40

Thanks - might pick this up for DH - I just ordered the Marmot Venus for my camp coat, has great reviews and seems to the women's version of the Zeus . . .

Tinker
01-29-2011, 22:31
An attached hood makes a jacket much warmer.

FORTIS
01-31-2011, 15:37
Thanks for all the great responses. You guys have really been a big help in helping this wannabe hiker plan his thru hike. Thanks.

FORTIS
01-31-2011, 16:13
I see a few of you think a hood is an important part of the down jacket. Thanks for the feed back. How do you feel about hand warmer pockets? necessary or not? Would you opt for an Epic shell fabric or a Pertex Quantum one? The Quantum is not as durable nor is it as water resistant but I have heard good things about it as well.

Thanks

Tipi Walter
01-31-2011, 16:22
An attached hood makes a jacket much warmer.

A good down hood is a lifesaver in severe cold. See below.

I see a few of you think a hood is an important part of the down jacket. Thanks for the feed back. How do you feel about hand warmer pockets? necessary or not? Would you opt for an Epic shell fabric or a Pertex Quantum one? The Quantum is not as durable nor is it as water resistant but I have heard good things about it as well.

Thanks

My parka uses an eVent shell---highly recommended. When you get caught in a series of blizzards and have to pull 5 or 6 zero days in a tent, a good down jacket is needed.

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/7/b/2/47026/TRIP-118-183.jpg

FORTIS
01-31-2011, 16:34
That's a cold but beautiful looking picture. Thanks for sharing. The coat I'm looking at has a hood, no pockets and uses the Pertex Quantum as its shell. I worry it might not be durable or water resistant enough for the AT. I plan on using my rain jacket as an outer shell but still..........

QiWiz
01-31-2011, 18:48
Hooded flight would be my choice.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-31-2011, 21:04
I wouldn't worry about waterproof. You have a shell.
If I was choosing I would go with the hooded Flash.
It would have to be a lot colder than the temperatures you will typically face for me to be able to hike even in the Flash. At camp I just get in mybag if it gets too cold.

Tipi Walter
01-31-2011, 21:21
I wouldn't worry about waterproof. You have a shell.
If I was choosing I would go with the hooded Flash.
It would have to be a lot colder than the temperatures you will typically face for me to be able to hike even in the Flash. At camp I just get in mybag if it gets too cold.

This can get rough when you pull into camp at 4pm and stay in your bag until 8am the next day. 16 hours in a bag? Most current winter backpackers do not like to carry the extra weight in clothing needed to stay comfortable in camp and I've seen it happen over and over again. Scrimping on clothing is probably the biggest mistake ULers make. Even Ryan Jordan on his Arctic Quest had to put his foam sleeping pad around his torso to stay warm on occasion. Why not just carry a few extra pounds?

aaronthebugbuffet
01-31-2011, 21:41
Right now 16 hrs snuggled in a bag sleeping and reading a book sounds pretty good.
Yes for winter that heavier jacket would be skimpy but he's starting a 4-6 month journey in the second week of March. That's just a taste of winter. I'm sure the Flight would be nice on a few days but the Flash could be used the whole trip.
I'm sure you've hiked in winter longer than I've been alive, but southern AT in March is not the Arctic.

FORTIS
02-01-2011, 14:42
Thanks for the help everyone. I have ordered an ultralight down sweater. It has a hood but no pockets and uses the Quantum shell fabric. I ordered it with 2oz of overfill (7oz fill weight). With my mid-weight wool base-layer and shell I hope to be warm enough in camp :-?

Once again, thanks.

Grinder
02-06-2011, 20:49
Just got this ad.
Down jacket $39.95
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458644&pn=1

That's all I know.

johnnyblisters
02-07-2011, 10:43
Just got this ad.
Down jacket $39.95
http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=458644&pn=1

That's all I know.

Whoa any word on the weight of that puppy?

RockDoc
02-12-2011, 15:14
In April in GA/NC two years ago a lot of people had the "down sweaters" and put them on immediately when they stopped walking. Maybe sleep in it if it's a very cold night, to extend your bag rating.
If you run into cold snowy weather you can boost the warmth and add a hood by putting a rain jacket over the down sweater; we used Frogg Toggs jackets (over Icebreaker wool shirts). Worked very well on a few days when it snowed.
Make sure that your jacket is big enough to go over your down coat, and you're all set with a very warm system.

darkage
12-16-2011, 23:42
I use the montbell down inner, with a marmot reactor fleece under it and rain shell on top with a good set of merino base and i can stay warm in camp outside the bag till about 25f ... add hat, gloves and maybe a pull over fleece under the reactor, and you got yourself some layer's down to 5-15f ... something to break the wind will help alot too ... either in the shell, windstop fleece or wind resistance down fabric like the montbell has ... winter is slowly upon us, figure out a layer system you'd like to use, and go sleep outside ... no better test than you'll know what's needed, or not needed.

Smooth & Wasabi
12-17-2011, 10:45
I say go with the hood. I still bring a hat but have found for me that the minimal weight of a hood can really add a ton of warmth for the weight during unexpected cold snaps.

darkage
12-17-2011, 13:46
+1 for the hood. My down inner is the parka and love my hood!

Tinker
12-17-2011, 15:48
Departure date will be the the first or second week of March. I'm considering bringing a down jacket for camp. I was wondering, between the WM Hooded Flash Jacket (9oz) and the WM Fight Jacket (11.5oz) which one would you bring? I think the Meltdown (17oz) would be overkill.

It's true, my pack is full of FEAR! :eek: But I'm hoping with experience to throw some of that fear out as my hike progresses.

Thanks for the help

I hope the OP is back from his hike, though the information is always helpful to bystanders. ;)

HOOD = good. :) (hats are too easily lost).