PDA

View Full Version : No Fuel canisters!?

cboyer1212
01-27-2011, 14:46
Im going to be tacking a amtrack train to gainesville, ga and they said no fuel canisters even on checked luggage, So where can i get one from gainsville to the trail head?

Luddite
01-27-2011, 14:52
Im going to be tacking a amtrack train to gainesville, ga and they said no fuel canisters even on checked luggage, So where can i get one from gainsville to the trail head?

Don't worry about it. I always bring fuel with me on Greyhound and Amtrak.

Sickmont
01-27-2011, 15:09
They probably think you meant you wanted to carry a full jerry can of gas with you.....

ARambler
01-27-2011, 16:14
1) Stay at the Hiker Hostel. They will know and can stop by Walmart. Walmart has 8oz cylinders, which I prefer.
2) Experiment with no stove (or solid fuel or Alcohol from the Hiker Hostel) for the first 3 days and get your cylinder at Neels Gap.
Rambler

Trailbender
01-27-2011, 16:34
Or just use esbit tabs, total simplicity and they are about 6 bucks for 12-24 burns, depending on how much water you need to boil. You can further extend your fuel by building a small fire and boiling water on nice days.(I can build fires in some extremely adverse conditions, but it is more trouble than it is worth outside of a survival situation.)

dbellue
01-27-2011, 16:39
There is a Walmart in Dahlonega on your way to Hiker Hostel and one in Gainesville if you need to purchase fuel canisters.

Helios
01-27-2011, 18:02
I had 2 canisters in my pack when I got off Amtrak in Gainesville last year. No one even bothered to look at or ask. The conductors where interested in getting everyone on board, and the train on the move.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2011, 18:53
It is in fact illegal to carry fuel cannisters on an Amtrak train.

But the train will only get you as far as Gainesville. Presumably, you're getting some sort of ride from there, either a hitch, a taxi, a paid shuttle.

Before taking you to Amicalola Falls Park or anywhere else, any of these rider services can easily take you somewhere where you can get whatever fuel you need, and as others have suggested, there are many of these locations to choose from.

Snake Farm
01-27-2011, 19:15
In my travels to Boston aboard Amtrak, I have never been checked, nor has my bag. Kinda surprising since Boston is a big(ger) city. Could you most likely bring it along in your bag without them finding it? Sure. What happens if they do find it? I dont know, but I imagine they would NOT be happy. Just ask yourself if it is worth the risk.

Im taking the train down to Gainesville as well (March 28th). I am just going to mail my Jetboil canister there. They also sell them at HH.

From HH:

We keep white gas (Coleman Fuel) and denatured alcohol at the hostel. Hikers taking advantage of our "Thru-Hiker Special" are allowed 8 oz of free fuel (white gas or denatured alcohol only) and may purchase more if needed. All other guests may purchase fuel by the ounce.

Hikers who require canister fuel can also purchase fuel at the hostel. We carry JetBoil, MSR or SnoPeak canisters in the 3.5 oz. size. We charge $3.99 (+ tax). If you wish, you can purchase canisters ahead of time and have them shipped to the Hiker Hostel (just make sure you use the correct address).