PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrator and recipes

dharmabum86
12-30-2004, 16:29
I'm sure this is a repeat as I am currently reading through the previous posts on this topic. However, those of you who use dehydrators what brand or style is your preference? Is there a specific style to use so that you can dehydrate more than just meat for jerky? And then do the dehydrators come with recipe/instructions on different types of foods? I saw a book at REI just before Christmas about dehydrating but, didn't pick it up. Thanks for the input.
Brandi

TrailDawg
12-30-2004, 18:15
Where exactly do you live in Acworth? I live fifteen minutes away on Hwy 92. I thru-hiked 2004 and dehydrated all my food. Email me.

Footslogger
12-30-2004, 18:54
I'm sure this is a repeat as I am currently reading through the previous posts on this topic. However, those of you who use dehydrators what brand or style is your preference? Is there a specific style to use so that you can dehydrate more than just meat for jerky? And then do the dehydrators come with recipe/instructions on different types of foods? I saw a book at REI just before Christmas about dehydrating but, didn't pick it up. Thanks for the input.
Brandi===========================
We got the brand (I think it's called) American Harvest. Went for the higher temp - 1000 Watt model because we wanted to dry jerky and do a lot of trays at the same time. We have 8 trays and generally load them all up at the same time. Some stuff gets done sooner than others so we just take that tray off the machine and keep it running.

You can do it all on the lower wattage models but it takes significantly longer.

'Slogger
AT 2003

PKH
12-30-2004, 19:21
Excalibur is a fine brand, if a little pricey. You can get them in five or nine tray models. Be sure to get the teflon sheets for drying sauces and soups. What ever type you get, you should look for a model with a fan, thermostat and temperature control. All models will come with instructions and recipe booklet - enough to get you started. There are excellent books available on the dehydrating process and many focus on back country meal preparation.

"Trail Food", Alan S. Kesselheim, Ragged Mountain Press. This is a fine book that is often found at outfitters and specialized sports stores.

Cheers,

PKH

titanium_hiker
01-04-2005, 21:17
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/food-dehydrator/index.html

a handy one to make DIY
I haven't made this one yet. Anyone?

titanium