PDA

View Full Version : Pawling, NY Trail Access

Leanthree
01-27-2011, 21:15
Totally random and not particularly important question on getting to the trail near Pawling, NY:

I am planning on doing a week from Pawling, NY NOBO in a couple of months and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the Metro North stop "Appalachian Trail" on the Harlem line just north of Pawling.

The station is located ~3,000 feet from the AT. In the way looks like a couple of private residences and their land (from the satellite pictures). Does anyone know if there is a trail from the train station that heads east to the AT?

This would save me a couple mile road walk which is less fun than hiking through trees.

takethisbread
01-27-2011, 21:21
Go to rte 22. Plenty of parking by the garden center.

Either that or park at Sasquatch's house.

Leanthree
01-27-2011, 21:25
Oh, to clarify, I am one of those city folk who doesn't have a car... Thus the train.

Do I miss that car...

tlap
01-27-2011, 22:42
Just get off the train, cross the highway (rt22) and head east. The trail is there and you don't walk through anyone's property.

IIRC the train only stops there on the weekends.

Leanthree
01-27-2011, 23:00
Thanks! I appreciate the info!

LIhikers
01-29-2011, 23:12
Want to get to the AT, or a bunch of other trails too, from NYC without a car?
Then try this page http://www.nynjtc.org/content/you-dont-need-car from the NY/NJ Trail Conference. You'll need to click through the links on that page.

Tinker
01-29-2011, 23:27
Mariano, from this forum, uses the train system to get out of the city to hike. Send him a PM. Tell him Tinker suggested it. :)

StormBird
01-30-2011, 00:03
You can just get off at Pawling and grab a taxi the five miles to trail. This is where I got off and back on when I went to NYC while I was thru hiking last year. :)