PDA

View Full Version : backpack storage

Zeno Marx
01-27-2011, 22:12
What's the best way to store a backpack? Hanging from the hand loop? From the shoulder straps on a hanger? sitting on the floor at a 90° angle? Laying flat on the floor on its face, belt connected and up? Laying flat on the floor on its face, belt disconnected and flat?

I ask because I'm a pack nut. One particular pack was hanging by the hand loop for several years (amazing how time flies), and when I looked at it the other day, the stitching around that area looked like it loosened and/or stretched and possibly even stretched the Cordura in the area. Another pack that has been laying on its face on the floor with the belt disconnected seems to have deformed a bit. It has a Delrin rod as part of the suspension system, and it warped, or drooped, to one side. There really isn't any bending this stuff, so I might have to heat it to bend it back to being symmetrical. I might leave it out in the sun for a bit in the summer (I know sunlight isn't the best for the fabric or thread).

So, what's your preference? Ever asked a pack rep and got a good answer?

Megapixel
01-27-2011, 22:17
my preference is empty, belt out, all straps loose, and either standing up or if necessary laying down on its front.

not sure how scientific this is, it's just my preference, aka 2 pennies.

Llama Legs
01-27-2011, 22:24
try not to fold/flatten the shoulder straps or belt

Jim Adams
01-28-2011, 01:19
hang by the top loop.

geek

topshelf
01-28-2011, 01:23
I hang by the haul loop with everything loose as can be. Any stretch cord/webbing, such as the sternum strap and drawstrings, I make sure are in a relaxed position

Bucherm
01-28-2011, 03:30
Chuck it in the closet, propped up against the bulkhead.

Wise Old Owl
01-28-2011, 09:50
toss into a green lead lined shopping bag, and keep it in the back of the car, you will get out more...

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2011, 10:02
toss into a green lead lined shopping bag, and keep it in the back of the car, you will get out more...

But where would I keep my Plutonium then?

Bags4266
01-28-2011, 11:43
Chuck it in the closet, propped up against the bulkhead.

Couldn't agree more. BTW how do you store you underwear. Sorry, just had to:)

Bucherm
01-28-2011, 15:16
Couldn't agree more. BTW how do you store you underwear. Sorry, just had to:)

Throw it at the wall. If it sticks it's time to wash them. :banana

daddytwosticks
01-28-2011, 17:07
In the cold, unheated basement so the family doesn't have to smell the stink. Hung from a rust-bent nail about head-high. Four of them lined up according to age. :)

Bags4266
01-28-2011, 17:23
What type of nail do you use? 10d 8d, Galvanized, steel, finish or ring head?

daddytwosticks
01-28-2011, 17:25
Don't remember...when I get home, I'll be sure to report back! :)

Hoop
01-29-2011, 09:03
But where would I keep my Plutonium then?

In the pack...

Toolshed
01-29-2011, 09:50
A dozen nails each 16" apart on a floorjoist in the basement. All are hung there by their hang loops. Daypacks, backpacks, (EX frame packs by their frame)... All are empty and all pockets are unzipped and hoods are open/panels unzipped. alongside I hang pack covers (I don't keep them bunched up as the PU will stick to itself over time if they don't get used enough.) I try to hang my tarps and tentflies over the winter season (just draped from a couple of more nails in the floor joists). and I usually go through my tents every 3-4 months to let them air out of the bag for a week or so if I am not using them.
Works out well for me, but I have an extremely dry basement. YMMV depending on the humifity levels.