PDA

View Full Version : katadyn micropur

TNjed
01-27-2011, 23:01
does this stuff work? I'm sure somebody has used it, does it leave a taste in your mouth? I've only been using a filter, I've never tried tablets or anything so any help is appreciated, thanks

lori
01-27-2011, 23:22
Yes, it does. You have to pay attention to water temperature and wait longer when it's cold or murky, and there is a bit of a taste, but it's not as bad as iodine (and not as likely to cause health issues).

RETCW4
01-27-2011, 23:26
I use it all the time. I put one tablet in a water bottle when I fill it and drink from the other one until its empty, then repeat the process. The directions say to let it set for four hours.

I willl be trying Aqua Mira on my thru hike, just because.

tumbleweed

TNjed
01-27-2011, 23:32
does gatorade powder cover up the taste, or anything else?

flemdawg1
01-28-2011, 11:53
does gatorade powder cover up the taste, or anything else?

Its not that big of a taste difference, think good tap water. Yes its noticeable, compared to straight from the stream, but not so bad to make you not want to drink it.

Safety Pins
01-28-2011, 17:08
I've used Katadyn Micropur for the past 3 years. Very convenient, weighs next to nothing. It was easy to get used to the 4-hour activation time. I'd always treat 2 liters at bedtime, which gave a good start to the water supply for the following day.

Joker4ink
01-29-2011, 11:17
I use them in the colder weather so my filter doesnt freeze. There is a faint taste but it's nothing that would make me stop using them. The bleach/iodine solution has a more distinct taste. As far as masking the little taste there is, I use the single use packets of Hawaiian Punch at the the dollar store if I want some flavor on the trail. Cant beat 8 packets for a buck!

rpenczek
01-31-2011, 14:41
I (we) was converted from a fliter pumper to a tablet user at Philmont Scout Ranch this past summer. The stuff is fantastic, much much easier than pumping.

I am originally from Chicago and grew up drinking what I believe to be the best tasting water on earth (well, at least from a municipal source). So, I am/was very picky about taste and a filter always did the trick for me and I was afraid to use tablets.

When we used the tablets, I noticed a slight taste, similar to the taste you get when blowing up a new beach ball or other pool toy. I was use to it right away. Further, none of my Boy Scouts had a complaint about tablets vs. pumping, the taste did not bother them either.

Gater Aid covered the taste fully.

Hope this helps.