PDA

View Full Version : 6 days in the smoky

jasoon
01-28-2011, 10:52
So the family and I have decided to do a smoky mountains trip this year (early June), and are looking for some recommendations. 5 nights 6 days, shuttle is cool, if not preferable.

My youngest is 9, but the boys handled 14 miles on Isle Royale in a day long downpour without much issue last year, so a 10-15 mile day isn't out of the question rather just keep it a singular event for morale sake.

Right now Alum Cave to Greenbriar Cove is in the lead. Anyone have any other good suggestions?

max patch
01-28-2011, 11:02
If money is no object staying at the Mt LeConte Lodge is a different type of experience. At this point you may need to be put on a wait list; lodge fills up really quick.

curtisvowen
01-28-2011, 11:52
Jasoon check this out: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/fireflies.htm
Maybe a hand-full of places in the world that this happens and around here it's only happens in June.
LeConte Lodge....you'd need 1 yr. in advance notice, unless things have changed.
There's a shelter there, but hard to get reservations. But you gotta try!
There's good tubing at Greenbriar. I take my children there a few times a year.
You could stage a car at Greenbriar, arrange for a shuttle to Alum Cave/LeConte. Play around in the creek at Greenbiar once done hiking?
There's the "Old Settler's Trail". It connects Greenbriar to Cosby Campgroun. That'll be a 1 night camping. Most historical trail in the Park. Easy hike.
Stage your car at Greenbiar, do the LeConte tour then do the Old Settlers?
If it's pure hiking you want then Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap or Newfound Gap to Fontana would work for your time (5nights/6days). That's all AT hiking. Leave a car at either end and always walk back to the car, starting at Newfound.
Pick out a loop. Loop back to your car that's staged in either Big Creek or Cade's Cove. Good swimming either way!

jasoon
01-28-2011, 12:11
For clarity I was thinking Alum Bluff>Mt Leconte>Pecks Corner>TriCorner>29>33>Greenbriar

Looking for backcountry. :)

TheChop
01-28-2011, 12:30
That's a good trail. I haven't hiked Alum Bluff but it's a climb up to LeConte. Not sure how your boys (or yourself) will handle a long uphill but the once you get to LeConte the trip down Boulevard is not so bad until you get to the end and then there's some more ups. After that you're on the downhill side of things. Good thing about 33 and 34 is they don't require reservations. That second day maybe a little rough. Instead of having Tricorner to 29 be your short day I would make it Alum>Mt Leconte>Icewater Springs>TriCorner>29>33>Greenbriar. :) Short/Big Up>Short/Small Up>Long>Short/Down>Medium/Down>Medium/Down

Just keep the pack weight reasonable. I ran into a father and son hiking up from Davenport. The dad was carrying an external frame pack absolutely loaded with crap and on top of that was his son's external frame. Do not underestimate the climbs you're dealing with.

humunuku
01-28-2011, 13:10
alum cave will be very crowded...start early

Jeepocachers
01-28-2011, 13:25
For clarity I was thinking Alum Bluff>Mt Leconte>Pecks Corner>TriCorner>29>33>Greenbriar

Looking for backcountry. :)

I had planned this same exact hike a couple of times, and site 29 seems to close quite often. I'd keep an eye on that one if site 29 is in your plans.

curtisvowen
01-28-2011, 13:31
For clarity I was thinking Alum Bluff>Mt Leconte>Pecks Corner>TriCorner>29>33>GreenbriarNow your talkin'!
Great hike, you'll get the Old Settlers Trail and Albright Grove. A little study-up on the history on Old Settlers and the old growth around Albright will make the hike a short education for the lads.

Ladytrekker
01-28-2011, 13:43
For July I have reserved a campsite at Elkmont for 7 days and am going to be dayhiking, relaxing, playing, white water rafting, etc. $160.00 for the week you cannot beat that unless of course you are primitive camping but I wanted to just spend some time in the mountains and my friend is a hiker but not a backpacker so I compromised. Can't wait.

jasoon
01-28-2011, 15:42
@Curtis, We might have to see if we can swing the fireflies on the way in/out. Thanks for the tip.

@TheChop, Thanks I've been back an forth on where to put the long day on that hike, and I like your idea. I also appreciate the concern. Believe me my days as pack mule are long over. A little self pride happened during our Isle Royale trip happened last year as we were getting our packs off the boat at Rock Harbor and the deckhand made the statement "you can tell who the ultralighters are" and then proceeds to hand me all the packs he can pick up with one hand. And I just keep my weights reasonable, not ultralight by any means.

Anybody have other 50ish mile classics, or places that i should think about stringing together. I like options.

Chappy
02-06-2011, 16:52
@Curtis, We might have to see if we can swing the fireflies on the way in/out. Thanks for the tip.

@TheChop, Thanks I've been back an forth on where to put the long day on that hike, and I like your idea. I also appreciate the concern. Believe me my days as pack mule are long over. A little self pride happened during our Isle Royale trip happened last year as we were getting our packs off the boat at Rock Harbor and the deckhand made the statement "you can tell who the ultralighters are" and then proceeds to hand me all the packs he can pick up with one hand. And I just keep my weights reasonable, not ultralight by any means.

Anybody have other 50ish mile classics, or places that i should think about stringing together. I like options.

Be sure you check out the hikes in Cattaloochee. Great trails on that side of the park. Consider a nice 13 -14 mile loop combining Kephart Prong to Sweat Heifer to the AT, down to Dry Sluice and then to Grassy Branch which will connect back to Kephart prong Trail. There are some designated camp sites and two shelters on this route. Enjoy your trip.