PDA

View Full Version : Golite Packs?

sixguns01
01-28-2011, 10:58
How do you guys and gals like the line of Golite packs? Comfort, durability, and ease of use? Anything else?

Thinking about getting a Pinnacle. I know there are other brands and suchbut don't hear much about Golite gear. Just looking for experiences with them.

Thanks

scope
01-28-2011, 11:17
I have a Quest and really like it. Good balance of lightweight and durable. No use of sil for weight reduction. I like the simple function of having one big pocket on the back of the main bag, instead of nooks and crannies. Its big enough to hold my shelter so that I can pull it out without opening the main bag - or pack up and close the main bag first before packing up shelter.

Bags4266
01-28-2011, 11:27
I have the Pinnacle and find that it is a huge pack for its weight. Love the roll top feature when not taking a lot of gear. Hip pockets a plus for me. good up to 25-30 max. Dislike... the front pocket, needs just a little more depth or it should be a mesh one.

Scratch
01-28-2011, 11:56
I have the Pinnacle as well and love it. Lightweight and a good price. Lots and lots of room. And most of all: comfortable.

Two Tents
01-28-2011, 11:57
I have a Golite Pursuit> Its a pretty good pack. It's on the heavy side. It carries a 25 lb. load really comfy. I broke a buckle on it the first time I used so now when I do use it I don't tighten them up that much. They include a small strap ( I don't know what it's for) so I fixed the broken buckle fast That is the only complaint about it. Knowing what I know now I'd spend a little more and get a ULA circuit. A Gossamer gear Mariposa plus would be my second choice. Just sayin.

Ewker
01-28-2011, 12:06
I have the Jam and a Pinnacle and use them both. The Pinnacle is a good winter pack when you are carrying more gear

Shutterbug
01-28-2011, 12:29
How do you guys and gals like the line of Golite packs? Comfort, durability, and ease of use? Anything else?

Thinking about getting a Pinnacle. I know there are other brands and suchbut don't hear much about Golite gear. Just looking for experiences with them.

Thanks

I have a 5 year-old Trek. They don't make that model anymore. It is still my favorite pack. When I first bought it, I had a problem with a seam that split. Golite replaced it. The replacement has held up well.

Wrangler88
01-28-2011, 13:32
I have had the Golite Ion. Awesome pack if your gear is down to bare bones on size. I loved it but sold it because someone offered me twice what I paid for it even though it was used. Wish I still had it. They don't make it anymore.

Now I have a Golite Jam. I trimmed all the excess stuff that I won't use off of it. To me, the pack can hold way more than I'll ever need.

When I got my very first Ion, I loaded it up with about 15lbs and as soon as I picked it up, the webbing part of the shoulder strap ripped in half. I called/emailed Golite and they sent me a brand new one. The material they make it out of is bomber stuff though. It seems like it'd be pretty hard to rip. And it's also fairly water resistant in a light rain.

Overall, I like my Golite backpacks but would probably buy something even more lightweight next time.

inabag
01-28-2011, 13:37
I have a GoLite Jam that I have trimmed down and it has no problem holding everything I need. I carry a base weight of between 10-12lbs (depending on season), and usually carry around 20lbs total. I have carried 30lbs before in this pack. I have been very happy with it. I also would most likely go even more lightweight next time around on the pack purchase, I just find that going smaller and lighter improves my overall quality when backpacking.

Jedeye
01-28-2011, 13:46
Have been using my Golite Jam since 2006, It got me thru the AT and is still kicking! The Pinnacle is like the Jam's big brother, so it should be pretty solid. A friend of mine had a shoulder strap tear off of his Pinnacle, but Golite replaced it quickly.

maybe clem
01-28-2011, 14:49
My Golite Gust is still my go-to pack for long hikes.

Trailbender
01-28-2011, 15:21
I use the Quest, good pack.

Oleskool
01-28-2011, 15:24
I use the Jam, and my wife the Jam 2. Her's is a little small, other than that both are great. On mine i cut off the front large zipper pocket and put a mesh one in its place for wet gear.

Llama Legs
01-28-2011, 15:35
"Breeze" in the summer, "Odyssey" in the winter !

It's a shame they can't make the Breeze pack anymore...

Gipsy
01-28-2011, 15:59
I'm a fan!

IceAge
01-28-2011, 16:13
I don't even remember how old my Galaxy is, but I still use it every time I'm hiking for more than 4 days. It has a couple of patches from encounters with sharp rocks, but they just add character!

I don't know much about the new packs, but I love my old GoLite!

skinewmexico
01-28-2011, 16:13
I have the older Pinnacle, and Jam2, from back before creeping featuritis started making them gain so many ounces. Pinnacle is great for high volume, lightweight items. Get it over about 30#, and it really starts to sag in the middle though.

hobbs
01-28-2011, 16:50
I have the older Pinnacle, and Jam2, from back before creeping featuritis started making them gain so many ounces. Pinnacle is great for high volume, lightweight items. Get it over about 30#, and it really starts to sag in the middle though.
I know your a big UL person...Can you tell me the advantages of a non framed pack like the CDL? I was wondering because I been reading up on it.

schnikel
01-28-2011, 17:27
I just bought a Golite Quest earlier this month. Used it once so far on a 3 day trip to Red River Gorge. I was carrying about 22lbs before water. It held up nicely, sholders were a little sore but who's isn't after a trip. The room in the pack verses the weight of the pack is awesome. I got mine new for 105$ when Golite had a huge sale on their website.
I got mine for a JMT thru later this year in Aug, that will be the big test for the pack. Seems the pack is well made and will hold up for many many miles.
Schnikel

Spider
01-29-2011, 12:20
My pinnacle just arrived actually. Use the coupon code DSW10 for 40% off so you get it for $105. I haven't gotten a chance to take it out for a spin yet, but it seems like a really nicely made pack. It seems comfortable, very lightweight, and can handle all my gear well. I was able to take out the back padding to reduce its weight an additional 2oz. From my very limited experience with it as of now, it seems like a really great pack.

amac
01-29-2011, 16:23
Pinnacle owner here. Love it. My first pack lots of pockets and places to but things. The Pinnacle has the main pouch, the front pocket, and the two side pockets. I find the simplicity is so much easier. I like it so much, I got my son its little brother, the Jam.