PDA

View Full Version : Mail drop and camping gsmnp

restlesss
01-28-2011, 17:33
Can you do a mail drop at smokemont campground and are there campsites at the shelters in gsmnp and do you need permits for those sites since I would not be staying in the shelters?

Sierra Echo
01-28-2011, 17:36
If I'm not mistaken, you are required to stay at the shelters in the GSMNP. They will fine you if the catch you stealth camping!

TheChop
01-28-2011, 17:44
You can camp around the shelters if you're thru hiking. If you're not thru hiking then you have to get a reservation. And no you cannot do a mail drop at Smokemont. You can't do one at Cades Cove either unless you talk to the right Ranger. :) Me and a buddy got one at Cades Cove but it was a little worrisome since I called up and they said no and my buddy called up and they said yes. They were super helpful in the end but it was a little stressful not knowing if we were going to walk in and be told it was unavailable. Both sites require reservations and are not free.

On a thru hike I wouldn't do a mail drop at either. There's a shuttle at Newfound Gap that you can take into Cherokee or Gatlinburg as well as the possibility of hitching.

Blissful
01-28-2011, 17:46
On the AT The only time you can "camp" at shelters is if you are thru hiking and the shelters are full. Then they permit it. If you are sectioning, you must have reservations and stay inside the shelters. You are not allowed to camp anywhere inbetween.
You can drop in Gatlinburg if needed.

carpattack
01-28-2011, 18:24
Nantahala's Great Outpost in Gatlinburg does shuttling to and from newfound Gap twice a day I believe. You can find out for sure www.noc.com. They also have showers and accept mail drops.

Chop
01-29-2011, 02:10
On the AT The only time you can "camp" at shelters is if you are thru hiking and the shelters are full. Then they permit it. If you are sectioning, you must have reservations and stay inside the shelters. You are not allowed to camp anywhere inbetween.
You can drop in Gatlinburg if needed.

This may seem like an odd question, but how would they know if you are thru hiking or section hiking?

Bearpaw
01-29-2011, 10:22
This may seem like an odd question, but how would they know if you are thru hiking or section hiking?

The park's definition of thru-hiker is NOT the whole trail. You are supposed to start on the AT at least 50 miles outside the park and end your hike at least 50 miles on the other side. The truth is that as long as you don't have a vehicle parked at Fontana or Davenport/Big Creek (where you'll want a permit filed so rangers know whose vehicle is there), no one will know one way or the other. Except you or any one you brag to about how you got away with it...

restless
01-29-2011, 10:23

As a general rule they don't. The permit system in GSMNP works on the honor system, so it is left up to the hiker and his or her conscience to file a permit if required.

Bearpaw
01-29-2011, 10:28
There's no need to set up a mail drop with a ranger station. Cherokee Transit (http://www.cherokeetransit.com/) has buses that stop at Newfound Gap each day. From there, they will take you to Gatlinburg or Cherokee where you get maildrops from the PO or certain outfitters or hotels, easiliy found in your guidebook.

As Carpattack mentioned, there is also an option for the NOC outfitters in Gatlinburg at peak times as well.

And you could always go old school and just stick out a thumb.

Cookerhiker
01-29-2011, 12:21

The park's definition of thru-hiker is NOT the whole trail. You are supposed to start on the AT at least 50 miles outside the park and end your hike at least 50 miles on the other side. The truth is that as long as you don't have a vehicle parked at Fontana or Davenport/Big Creek (where you'll want a permit filed so rangers know whose vehicle is there), no one will know one way or the other. Except you or any one you brag to about how you got away with it...

As a general rule they don't. The permit system in GSMNP works on the honor system, so it is left up to the hiker and his or her conscience to file a permit if required.

My understanding is that even if you satisfy the 50 mile rule and thus don't need shelter reservations, you still need a permit. I section-hiked the Smokies SOBO in '04 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=2153) and picked up my permit at the Forest Service office in Hot Springs. BTW, Hot Springs is less than 50 miles from Davenport so I started the hike further north at Allen Gap. You know, following the rules.....

Re. maildrops, I was able to get through the Smokies without resupplying in the middle going to G'burg or Cherokee by mailing boxes to Standing Bear near Davenport and Hike Inn near Fontana.

godsfshrmn
03-19-2011, 12:41
So if you are doing just the GSMNP section, there is no reason to bring a tent?

I assume there is some chance the shelters will be full, but as stated above section hikers are required to make reservations. Don't thru hikers get priority on beds in the shelters? I'd have a hard time taking the bed of someone hiking several hundred miles vs my 71. Any section hikers of this do it without a tent? I'm doing it the last week of May.

Archlover
03-20-2011, 10:42

I assume there is some chance the shelters will be full, but as stated above section hikers are required to make reservations. Don't thru hikers get priority on beds in the shelters? I'd have a hard time taking the bed of someone hiking several hundred miles vs my 71. Any section hikers of this do it without a tent? I'm doing it the last week of May.

It's my understanding from what I've read that they reserve four spots at the shelters for thru hikers. The rest may be reserved. My guess is if the shelter is full, you will have no shortage of people volunteering to pitch their tent outside. A full shelter is the only permitted reason to tent camp in the park while actually on the AT. I would jump at it, given the chance. If all you are doing is GSMNP, I don't see a reason to bring your tent.

Also, forgive me if you are already aware - but you can make your reservation up to thirty days in advance of your first nights stay. The number for reservations is 865-436-1231. I couldn't get anyone at that number the day I called but was able to make the reservation at the backcountry information number which is 865-436-1297. Good luck.

RichardD
03-20-2011, 11:24
Does anyone know: As a thru hiker I arrive at a shelter in GSMNP, there are 4 thru hikers already there so I set up my hammock nearby. Reasoning all the other spots are reserved and the section hikers could well arrive later or after dark. Would a visiting ranger accept this argument or would he ticket me for camping when the shelter is not full.
I don't want to stay in the shelter I want to hammock nearby, I have included my NEO airmat in the Fontana maildrop just in case I have to stay in one.

Ox97GaMe
03-20-2011, 21:27
The rangers arent looking to 'ticket' you just because you are camped near the shelter. Most times, they will talk with you and give you the options. If you act like a jerk, then they will be more than happy to go to the trouble of filling out the paperwork.

Depending on when you are hiking, the shelters will probably be full of thru hikers anyway. They are starting to get pretty dense in the park and will continue that way until early-mid May.

When you get your permit at Fontana, you just need to write 'Thru Hiker' across the permit. You probably wont get questioned about being a thru hiker unless you get to the first shelter and start pulling new gear out of boxes or looking like a greenhorn. It is pretty easy to distinguish between someone that has hiked 50+ miles vs. 5.

The rule for camping at shelters is that you must be within sight of the shelter. There is adequate camping space near each of the shelters to accomodate the thru hiker season.

ScottC
03-24-2011, 11:11
I section hiked the park last May with reservations. Yeah - sticking to a firm itinerary for 6-7 days is tough. We stayed in shelters each night and I just carried my poncho tarp for emergencies. We did get off our reservation schedule mid-week due to weather and rolled the dice the remaining nights. We had one night in a full shelter, but it all worked out...

jbwood5
03-24-2011, 11:48

The shelters will almost certainly be full during hiking season. I'd bring a tent just in case... even if you have a reservation. You never know when somebody has a problem and can't stick to their reservation schedule. Even though you have a reservation, you might not want to challenge a squater or throw an injured person out in the rain on a cold night.
I sort of understand that the reservation system is done on a best effort basis to avoid overcrowding the area. When it comes to enforcement it can be tough when people are in need.

bigcranky
03-24-2011, 14:34
Bring some sort of shelter, a small tarp at least. The shelters are often full of people without any reservations. I don't see it as my job to check everyone's permit and reservation if I arrive at a shelter that I have reserved and find it full.

Ox97GaMe
03-24-2011, 20:31
The park rule is that during thru hiking season, there are 4 spaces that the park sets aside. this means that they consider the shelter 'full' on the reservation system when all but 4 of the spots are reserved under permit. that typically leaves approx 8 reservable spots in a shelter.

The shelters are there for all the park visitors, not just the thru hikers. During college and school spring break weeks, there are large numbers of people with permits competing for shelter space with thru hikers. A thru hiker that happens to be at a particular shelter during their 180 day journey should be willing to give up space in the shelter for someone that got a reservation from the park days or weeks in advance.

The park makes hikers aware that during the heavy thru hiker season, it is highly likely that even with a permit, one should be prepared to camp outside the shelter if necessary.

Yes, there are some section hikers and overnighters that head into the park under reservation that do not carry a tent, tarp, or hammock. There are even times when I head to a shelter without carrying a tent because I have 30-40 pounds of tools in my pack instead.

Every situation is different. Most of the time, if people use a little courtesy and common sense, things work out ok. It is when people get attitudes or feel entitled that the majority of issues arise.