PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know

Loneoak
01-28-2011, 18:37
does anyone know the name of this little stove, I have only seen it once before.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14305&catid=member&imageuser=6830

Luddite
01-28-2011, 18:44
It looks like a Vargo...not sure which model

Franco
01-28-2011, 18:54
Vargo Triad XE
Franco

sheepdog
01-28-2011, 22:48
piece of junk

don't buy it

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2011, 01:33
Had a later version and it was horrible....

I am amazed you dug up that ol picture.

Tinker
01-29-2011, 07:44
Sturdy little stove, but inefficient. The reasons are that:
1) It is made of titanium, which is terrible at transferring heat (necessary to boil alcohol in an al stove), and,
2) It is on legs, which allows cool air (relatively) to get under the stove, again, not allowing the fuel to reach boiling point efficiently.
If you have a ti pot, you can usually pick it up by the lip almost immediately after you shut off your stove. Aluminum is the material of choice among alcohol stove builders for max. heat transfer. Brian at Brasslite stoves even states as much on his website.

Franco
01-29-2011, 16:06
I tried one version of the Vargo too, the Triad.
A mate bought it because of its great look.
I named it the Paris Hilton. All look no performance.
Franco
(not that I actually like Paris Hilton...)

Chummin' for Bear
01-29-2011, 17:07
I have a newer version of the Triad Vargo. It burns alcohol one one side or Esbit tablets on the other side. I love the fact that it weights one ounce. A little known fact is the legs are not supposed to be perched on top of the ground, they are actually meant to be inserted into the ground. This provides much better stability and keeps cold air from "under the stove". The Esbit tablets are foolproof but I understand they are not as readily available as alcohol. At least you have options and it's hard to beat one ounce. Just me two cents.

Turtle Feet
01-29-2011, 17:14
Chummin's correct - the "legs" are really "stakes". I don't own one of these, but a friend of mine that did a thru in 2008 called the Vargo her "favorite piece of equipment". To each his own I guess....

tf

QiWiz
01-29-2011, 18:44
piece of junk

don't buy it

+1

you will find it is not efficient and slow to heat

it looks cute and is compact, but don't be seduced

avoid it

Ranc0r
01-29-2011, 19:09
I've got one, don't like it. After dropping the "burner" a time or two, its very hard to get the top off to fill it up, especially when it's even a little chilly out. It takes a fair bit of extra alcohol to get it going on its own (priming, it is inefficient at getting the fuel to vaporize). The small fuel capacity makes it difficult to get even 2 cups of water to a boil. It's cute, with the lunar lander look going for it, but it's not the greatest stove, IMO. I have a white box clone that boils more water with less fuel in less time.

Ranc0r