PDA

View Full Version : Winging It!

Snake Farm
01-28-2011, 22:51
How many of you thru hikers have started without a plan and just winged it as you went (aka not having a schedule other than to reach Katadin before Baxter closes)? This obviously doesnt work well if you are depending on mail drops.

To me, that seems to be the most fufilling way to do it. I dont have my hikers Companion yet (still in the mail). When it arrives i'll probably end up with a rough plan. So far the most daunting part of my planning was getting all my gear. Now that I have that, I have to come up with an itinerary, which seems pretty overwhelming.

What do you guys have to say on this subject?

Slo-go'en
01-28-2011, 23:18
Any plan you come up with will be null and viod the minute you start hiking. Plan resupply to resupply as you go along. Start out with 3 days of food and go from there.

If you need mail drops, have someone who can mail them when and to where you request them.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2011, 23:20
Pick a start date and go. It's not like you're getting dropped in the middle of the wilderness. Follow the blazes and the parade. Stop to shop and drink beer along the way.

SweetAss03
01-28-2011, 23:38
That is about the best advice you are going to get. All plans go out the door. I would say have a start date set in stone and a very rough finish date give or take a couple weeks. In between have a blast as you move north.

garlic08
01-28-2011, 23:41
If you haven't thru hiked the AT before, there's really no way to tell how you're going to do on it. I don't know how you can plan for such an unknown, but some manage to do it anyway.

Lone Wolf
01-29-2011, 01:21
How many of you thru hikers have started without a plan and just winged it as you went (aka not having a schedule other than to reach Katadin before Baxter closes)? This obviously doesnt work well if you are depending on mail drops.

To me, that seems to be the most fufilling way to do it. I dont have my hikers Companion yet (still in the mail). When it arrives i'll probably end up with a rough plan. So far the most daunting part of my planning was getting all my gear. Now that I have that, I have to come up with an itinerary, which seems pretty overwhelming.

What do you guys have to say on this subject?

i've hiked more miles on the AT than 99% of folks that post here. the only plan i had my first time was the day i started. i had no mail drops or itinerary. winged it. yup.

Graywolf
01-29-2011, 01:40
I have the best plan in the world. And it is also the easiest to follow:

Just Hike!!

Thats it..

maybe clem
01-29-2011, 03:29
Before every long distance hike I've laid out a basic game plan so I'd have something to leave behind with my family. It's never adhered to exactly but it helps me figure out what and how much to buy in terms of food/gear/supplies, plan resupplies and mail drops, and purchase rail and airfares.

Bronk
01-29-2011, 04:11
Before you leave a town, buy enough food to get you to the next one. That's about all the planning you'll need. Don't bring the rat race with you...leave it at home.

Iceaxe
01-29-2011, 05:08
Fellow "Winging it" enthusiast. I had over 14 mail drops on the PCT. On the CDT I had just 4 planned (maps and shoes), and a couple i sent to myself while on the trail(Doc Campbells Post, Pie town, and Brooks Lake lodge.
I was so friggin' happy with my "buy as you go" strategy I would never consider anything else.
If you have weird feet like i do you might have to send shoes once in a while. But without even setting foot on the AT, I can tell you already, they have: peanut butter, Tortillas, granola bars, snickers bars, and cheese everywhere... if they have Spam, all the better!
Massive government conspiracy: Spam is the food stuff of life itself! Yes, Nasa is hidin the fact that Saturn's moon Titan is actually made of Spam.
Anyways...
Long live Buy as you Go!
It supports the trail town economy's and saves you money and the hassle of getting to the PO before they close.
My plan for the AT is to send shoes, maps, and socks every 500 to 600 miles or so. Anything else i can send from the trail to myself.
Listen to Mr. Lone Wolf.. I sense Wisdom there.
(Movie Clip from Pulp Fiction: "Sh$t.. why didn't you say you were sending the Wolf?!")
Besides, you are gonna get totally sick of all that damn oatmeal you shipped yourself and end up replacing it with crap you bought on trail anyways.
As for folks that supposedly only spend "20 bucks" in town on food.. Yea.. right.
If you are a horse you can hike the PCT for free. Every hiker box contains at least 2 lbs of oatmeal of all varieties.
(Side note: Anchovy paste in a mail drop really sucks even when you are a starving thru hiker.. don't bother sending Anchovy paste.)
YMMV and all that.. maybe you like Anchovies. :eek:

Tenderheart
01-29-2011, 11:06
Before you leave a town, buy enough food to get you to the next one. That's about all the planning you'll need. Don't bring the rat race with you...leave it at home.

Now that's good advice. Man plans and God laughs.

litefoot 2000

Roughin' It
01-29-2011, 11:06
I winged about everything on my hike. I picked a start date at random, felt like sometime in March would be nice, didn't care how long it would take to finish, didn't do mail drops, didn't bring a watch, filtered out my gear selections as I went, didn't have a budget.

I got so sick of planning my grocery purchases from town to town, that I eventually just started buying about the same amount of food at every stop, without knowing how long it would be until the next one. I was never short on food. People ditch schedules, nobody ever seemed to tighten theirs up as they go.

You walk until you are tired of walking, you stop to smell the roses, you take plenty of pictures, you enjoy the scenery, you have fun with fellow hikers, and I guarantee you will have the best time of your life.

Grampie
01-29-2011, 12:39
There is no need to plan very much to do a thru-hike. The only things you need to address are: When you will start, how am I getting to the trail and have enough food and fule for 3 to 4 days.
When I started I used the Data Book and tryed to law out some kind of schedule. The first day worked fine. I got to the top of Springer Mt. After that , it just fell apart.
My advise would be; take it one step at a time and when you feel comfortable with that, take one day at a time.
Use the Data Book, or whatever, to determine your next supply stop. figure how many days it will take you to get there and buy enough food. Keep doing this and you will be in Maine before you know it.
Happy trails.

Snake Farm
01-29-2011, 14:51
Wow, im surprised by the responses. I figured more people would have a plan. Now that its all settled im glad I dont have to make a plan!

And Iceaxe, what made you think anchovy paste was a good idea in the first place...yuck...

Iceaxe
01-29-2011, 17:55
Wow, im surprised by the responses. I figured more people would have a plan. Now that its all settled im glad I dont have to make a plan!

And Iceaxe, what made you think anchovy paste was a good idea in the first place...yuck...

Yea.. I bet there were some surprised hikers behind me when they pulled that out of the hiker box!
In case you can't tell from my posts I am somewhat of a knucklehead.
The anchovy paste actually tasted good on crackers back home.. I thought, but out on the trail was a different story.
However, the animal crackers in the kiddie box with the string handle was an awesome idea. It is impossible not to smile when you are eating animal crackers.

Bearpaw
01-29-2011, 20:01
I was still a Marine when I planned my thru-hike. I have a roughed out idea of where I would be each night on the trail. I planned to buy food along the way, but I still had 11 mail drops for maps, slide film, and contact lenses and some freeze dried meals I had bought in bulk.

I kept to that schedule for about 2 weeks until I reached the Smokies and found I could crank 20 miles days there with no problem. (I also wanted to get through the Park quickly because I figured it would be crowded - it wasn't really though.) After that, I got much more flexible in my planning. And I enjoyed my hike more.

Today I would have a few stacks of maps and a plan for my wife to ship them to certain hostels or businesses that would be open seven days a week. Otherwise, I would buy as I went.

swjohnsey
01-29-2011, 21:16
Plan but keep the plan flexible. Plan for contingencies.

RockDoc
01-29-2011, 22:21
Everything seems to have a way of coming out all right on the trail.

When I hiked 100 days in 1974 (HF-ME) I had only a vague idea of where the next resupply would be. Yet it worked out fine, sort of a grand adventure.

Now it's often all planned out the the tenth of a mile, and bookings are done months ahead. No real need for that.

It can be so easy. Just walk.

wvgrinder
01-31-2011, 11:28
You do need to plan which direction you're going. :D

sherrill
01-31-2011, 11:55
I started out in 83 just planning to get to Fontana. Somehow ended up in Maine. Go figure.

swjohnsey
01-31-2011, 12:05
Wormhole?.

Buzz Saw
01-31-2011, 12:07
My plan is NOBO on 4/13/11. I learned when down hill skiing no matter what you thought you were going to do on that mogul run it all changed after the first bump. Just point the skis down hill and go.

Skyline
01-31-2011, 12:18
As I began section-hiking in '96 I tried to plan every day and every night. Even made SPREADSHEETS!!! Never followed a one. Things happen to throw you off those plans painstakingly made at home. Eventually I wised up and did away with schedules.

By the time I was in New England (finishing 2003, skipping '02) I just guesstimated how long it would take to get from town to town. Packed enough supplies and food for that and a little extra for a cushion. You might call that winging it. Very few predetermined campsites or daily mileage needs. I tried to tent within a quarter-mile of a shelter every other night, but hardly ever stayed IN a shelter. Camping "wherever" (usually alone) on the alternate nights gave me the freedom I sought to not have rigid plans.

I think most long-distance hikers learn it's more prudent to "wing it" after awhile. It can also be more enjoyable.

sherrill
01-31-2011, 13:19
Wormhole?.

Stargate....:D

Red Hat
01-31-2011, 13:23
I think that is the best plan! Hike...stop in town for food and rest, hike... repeat from GA to ME

OliveOil
01-31-2011, 13:30
I had never been back packing before I started my hike as a south bounder. The only planning I did was buying gear and saving up some money. I didn't even know how to get to katahdin but my friends drove me and we eventually ended up in Millinocket, ME. It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made. There was no stress put on the trip because I had no expectations for myself. It also made every moment a surprise because I didn't know what was coming next.

soulslosher
01-31-2011, 23:26
This thread is similar to my thread "The Mental Game: Day by Day"...

Most of these responses just reinforce that you should take it day by day and see how it goes! Just hike.. that's it!

And yea, I'll def agree with Bronk: leave the rat race at home!

Old Hiker
02-01-2011, 15:08
I gotta say: this thread has helped me on my planned (!) thru in 2012. I wasn't sure how I was going to handle resupply, etc. but there are a lot of good ideas here. That's what I like about WB.

The Mental Game thread helped as well.

My only problem is the finish has to be before 15-20 Aug 2012 so I can get back to work.

Special-K
02-03-2011, 12:40
i haven't thru hiked just yet, but i would imagine that the more you plan something like the AT, the more your going to miss and not enjoy. i'm heading down march 1st and all i know is that some point in time i will be reaching Katadhin. and thats about as far as ive thought

a_tigger
02-09-2011, 01:46

Me as well...

I'm starting on March 2nd and have a pretty solid itinerary planned with a handful of maildrops. I know that times will slip and the plan will change but i felt the need to have a plan as a guide.

I cribbed off of a 12 mi/day and a 15 mi/day plan that i found on this site, and modified and made it my own. I know it's going to change but i love the fact that as scheduled i'm going to be doing about 14 mi/day in the overall, however i start very slow - nothing over 15 miles for the first month - and then it ramps up....

anyway we will see. I'm getting nervous and anxious. I have 7 more days until i'm unemployed and i begin heading to Georgia...

hope to see some of you out there - Tigger

a_tigger
02-09-2011, 02:39
now you've all made me parnoid that i've planned too much.
damn you white blaze!!!!!

Blue Jay
02-09-2011, 08:13
My only problem is the finish has to be before 15-20 Aug 2012 so I can get back to work.

That is a huge problem as that's about the only way to have a bad plan. Thinking about a deadline for thousands of miles is horrible, much like thinking about death for your entire life.

AUhiker90
02-10-2011, 14:21
Its really the easiest thing logistically ive done buy food walk a ways and then buy some more food, super simple.

Old Hiker
02-10-2011, 14:34
That is a huge problem as that's about the only way to have a bad plan. Thinking about a deadline for thousands of miles is horrible, much like thinking about death for your entire life.

I don't see it as a HUGE problem, just another goal on top of the goal to reach Katahdin.

Besides, I constantly think about death. I'm trying to decide just how to die penniless so my boys will have to figure out how to shove me into the ground on THEIR dime! :rolleyes: I figure a thru hike will help! ;)

TheChop
02-10-2011, 14:36
I recently finished planning my 2011 thru. I took the spreadsheet off the main page here and adapted it to my purposes. I realize that it probably won't last past Neel's Gap if that but it was nice going through my AT Guide and looking through the various towns and sort of seeing the trail in my mind as best I could. It took me eight or nine hours and was more of a way with familiarizing myself with the towns and locations of the trail than it was a way of actually planning things. I doubt I'll even carry a copy with me but it was good to be able to add up hostel and hotel stays and things of that nature. I viewed it as more of a virtual hike than a plan. Just something to help get my mind around it.

I think the only real way to plan for something like the AT is to have hiked it before.

hikerboy57
02-10-2011, 14:41
Dont confuse planning with preparation. Be prepared.and remember"life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
Always prepare for the worst, but always expect the best.

mlkelley
02-10-2011, 15:10
The only plan I made was a reservation at the Hiker Hostel. Didn't even have a guide book 'till Neels Gap. IMHO, plans might be needed to build a house, but not hike a trail. YMMV:)

IceAge
02-10-2011, 15:36
Don't listen to these people, you need a detailed plan and itinerary so that you can make sure to always have a supply of dried cuttlefish and can scout in advance for restaurants with flaccid fries.

Sickmont
02-10-2011, 15:40
Bacon! One must have maps to find Bacon in the wild!

Special-K
02-11-2011, 00:03
Bacon! One must have maps to find Bacon in the wild!

I'm leaving all my gear at home and just carrying a pig and a skillet through the trail. That way if I need shelter or water, I can barter the gear for some bacon. Yea it may be tough, but hey, I'll have a whole bunch of bacon.