PDA

View Full Version : Summer Hiking-- How is it different?

Maple_Sky
01-29-2011, 00:26
I'm a teacher, and have June and July off. So the plan is to section-hike over the next three years, always hiking in the summer. I have a few ideas about how this will change my gear requirements, but I want to hear from some of you more experienced folks--what is going to be different about what I need and just the experience in general since it will always be summer for me?

I'm thinking about sleeping bag degrees, leaving the stove at home, whether I need a rain jacket, what kind of clothes, and all that stuff, but I'm also wondering what you think it'll be like to be behind the thru-hikers the first year, in the middle of the pack the second year, and ahead of the pack the third year. Advice? Predictions? Thanks!

BradMT
01-29-2011, 00:36
Where you hiking? The AT covers a lot of geography. Summers in the South differ greatly from those in New Hampshire and Maine for instance.

In the South, rain. Plenty of it generally. Hot, humid. Light sleeping gear, minimal clothing needed... I'd always have a stove.

Definitely short gaiters.

In Northern New England, carry something for chilly nights. I always packed a light sweater and down vest, hat and gloves. I've been snowed on above timberline in The Whites...

Maple_Sky
01-29-2011, 00:39
God and knees willing, I'm doing the whole thing... this summer Springer to Waynesboro, next summer, Waynesboro to... CT I think, third summer to Maine. So it's going to be 3 big section hikes.

Graywolf
01-29-2011, 01:15
I sectoned the Southern portion in August 2009 and even though many people here said it would be hot and humid, I was actually amazed how cool it was.. It never broke 88* and teh nights were just right aroun 60* Had rain a couple of days but it was wonderful to hike in..

If you can look at the history of the weather for the last couple of years and you will have an idea..

I live in Texas where that time of year temps soar above 105* so hiking in 80* weather was like hiking in an A/C to me..

Have fun. I love the southern section. Lots of cool views. i had ablast..

Graywolf

gumball
01-29-2011, 07:29
We do most of our sections in the spring and fall any more. Its a personal preference, but the heat can sometimes be overwhelming in the southern states, as well as the mosquitoes in a season that has had some rains--but for us, its mostly the the heat. We just enjoy hiking in a bit of cooler weather. There are lots of advantages to the warmer months of summer as well.

mweinstone
01-29-2011, 07:40
I'm a teacher, and have June and July off. So the plan is to section-hike over the next three years, always hiking in the summer. I have a few ideas about how this will change my gear requirements, but I want to hear from some of you more experienced folks--what is going to be different about what I need and just the experience in general since it will always be summer for me?

I'm thinking about sleeping bag degrees, leaving the stove at home, whether I need a rain jacket, what kind of clothes, and all that stuff, but I'm also wondering what you think it'll be like to be behind the thru-hikers the first year, in the middle of the pack the second year, and ahead of the pack the third year. Advice? Predictions? Thanks!

great plan. you have good ideas. sleeping bag can be any bag you like in summer. a 2 lb marmot heium eq at 15 degrees would be my chooice. a stove is a personal decision and one easily changed with a maildrop and a call home. a rain jacket makes life nicer in any season if not just for the confidence it lends. long underware need only be the lightest weight. hat and gloves too. just the bare silky minimum works fine as does doing without. walking after the crowd means a wider path, less bramble and scrathes from thorns, more bugs, less water, more magic, less company, more day hikers, less clean trails and services, more open servises, more hiking hours , earlyer starts, more heat and humidity .

Cookerhiker
01-29-2011, 09:35
All I'll add is that IMO and experience, the mid-Atlantic in summer - MD-PA-NJ-NY-CT - is no cooler than the South because of the low elevations. I also suspect the proximity to the ocean makes for greater humidity. Mosquitos are at least as bad in those states as the South.

...I live in Texas where that time of year temps soar above 105* so hiking in 80* weather was like hiking in an A/C to me..

Love it! I met some TX hikers on my LT hike on '07 with big smiles on their faces, telling me how nice it was to hike in cool green leafy mountains in the summer as opposed to 100* temps back home.

pilgrim1
01-29-2011, 12:17
water is the big thing in summer.we hiked a.t.in shenadoah nat park last year and water was a problem for us.on one stretch of the 104 mile there was no water for maybe 30 miles.

takethisbread
01-29-2011, 13:10
Hiking in the the summer is betta. less gear to carry, less rain generally, ground firmer. bugs suck monster ass, and its sometimes hard to sleep and water becomes a issue in some spots. It still beats March and April cold and rain and snow and it beats September/ october rain and cold

Bearpaw
01-29-2011, 13:51
Be ready for hot and humid days with cooler evenings in the southern mountains. Water sources can be a bit tricky if the summer is dry, which has been the case for 3 of the last four summers. Springs may sometimes dry up.

Actual highs vary by year. 2009 was cooler than most (an El Nino year). Last summer was hotter (the La Nina snapback). Hopefully this summer will be more average, but the elevation of the mountains will keep things cooler than the valleys where weather reports are made.

I would take some kind of stove. I use an esbit stove during the summer and only carry one hot meal a day (a boil-type dinner).

Staying hydrated can take some effort. Look into the little zero calorie drink mixes you can add to a 16 ounce bottle of water. I have four per day, one with breakfast, lunch, dinner, and I have one as an afternoon snack for when I first reach camp and my evening water source. I also try to have a sugary drink mix packet like Countrytime lemonade. The extra sugar zap helps in the early afternoon when I am starting to get tired. These drink account for 2 1/2 quarts a day. I drink at least that much in plain water while I hike and sit around camp in the evening. 5-6 quarts a day usually take care of my needs, but I am a big guy. You may be able to hike effectively on just a gallon, but I would consider that the minimum for the humidity you will experience.

For the southern section, a 40 degree bag should be fine. I'd take a light fleece at least. I carry a 100 weight pullover. On warmer nights, I simply use it as a pillow in my hammock. I carry a poncho instead of a rainjacket because it us just too hot and humid to hike in even the most breathable raingear out there. I will also carry a 4 ounce windshirt. On a cool rainy ridge in the Smokies or Roan Highlands or Grayson Highlands, the windshirt breathes enough to hike in while cutting away the chill of the breeze. You will probably experience your coolest weather in those three areas, all of which are in the 5000-6000+ foot elevation range.

For the middle section, I would have a similar gear load, but add a warmer layer or two of clothes and a warmer bag. In the northern section, go with full rain gear (at least in NH) and warmer clothing. It's been a decade since I walked those areas, but I feel very comfortable in the south in the summer months with the gear and nutrition I mentioned.

daddytwosticks
01-29-2011, 19:42
Bring some stuff to keep your "privates" clean. Wet-wipes and medicated powder to take care of business at the end of the day really puts a smile on my face. Dealing w/chafing in those areas (from body salt due to sweat) is not fun. Especially during the hot-humid summer. :)

swjohnsey
01-29-2011, 21:40
Very light or no sleeping bag. Tent or something with mosquito netting to keep bugs a bay. No stove necessary if you can do without coffee. No cold weather gear.

Graywolf
01-29-2011, 21:47
All I'll add is that IMO and experience, the mid-Atlantic in summer - MD-PA-NJ-NY-CT - is no cooler than the South because of the low elevations. I also suspect the proximity to the ocean makes for greater humidity. Mosquitos are at least as bad in those states as the South.

Love it! I met some TX hikers on my LT hike on '07 with big smiles on their faces, telling me how nice it was to hike in cool green leafy mountains in the summer as opposed to 100* temps back home.

Looking forward to another section this Summer before my thru next year..Hope to see ya outthere..

By the way, When I went in 2009 I experianced absolutely no mossies.. Being from Texas where Fire Ants rule, I was so delighted to beable to sit down next to Long Creek Falls and not have the stingers crawling all over me...I dont know when the bug season is in Georgia, But whenI was there in August, there was none what so ever.. In Texas its 7/365 everyyear..

I also only carried afleece blanket that I bought from Walmart. It was light and just fine for me, even during the coolness when it rained, I now have gone lighter and carry a silk bag fro REI,only 9 oz...So nice..

RichardD
01-29-2011, 22:36
I am a recently retired teacher so for the last several years I had most of June and July available for hiking. for the Summer of 2009 I hiked a section of the AT from Damascus to halfway through SNP. We started early June and finished mid July.
We saw quite a few thru hikers but mostly only once as they had to move quite fast to be sure of finishing in time. We frequently camped at shelters and only once did we remain alone at the shelter. Frequently as many as a dozen people at or around the shelter. Camp spots away from shelters were always just us.
The first three weeks were quite wet but never did it rain continuously all day, however rain drips from the trees continuously for many hours after a shower. We found it to be quite hard to get things dried out once they got wet.
I used a hammock with a down underquilt rated to 30 and my WM sleeping bag rated to 20 and it was overkill. We were never cold at night.
Hiking became quite warm but not seriously so. I occasionally had to take a 20 minute cool down break on a climb. I don't think the temperature climbed much above the mid 80's
I used a Zip woodburning stove and used it at least three times per day, for two of us it was well worthwhile.
For raingear I used precip pants and jacket and a sil nylon poncho. I liked the poncho but still had a need for the pants and jacket, again overkill for many people but it worked well for me and my sister. On warm wet days the poncho was quite airy and kept me and my pack dry.
Have fun, two months allows for some great hiking.
Now that I am retired I will attempt a thru starting late March.
I kept a journal on trailjournals for each of my Summer hikes although I still have a few days to type up for the 2009 hike, a lot more info there if you have the time or inclination to read it.

Maple_Sky
01-30-2011, 16:37
I really appreciate everyone's taking time to respond! Thanks!

A few people mentioned wanting the stove for coffee, which is the big reason I thought I would need one. I have read that Starbucks Via dissolves in cold water, and I have found that the powdered whole milk Nido (in the Latino section) is actually not completely disgusting... shake them up with some water in the morning, and I'm gonna call that an iced coffee! It works with instant espresso, I just have to get my hands on some Via to see if that works too.

The Cleaner
01-30-2011, 19:37
Do you know about Stinging Nettles are?:eek: One of the reasons I avoid summer hiking.I'll do some but try to hike on old forest roads...

Hikes in Rain
01-31-2011, 14:00
....... is actually not completely disgusting... shake

Curiously, that's how my wife describes my homemade beer! Made me smile.

fredmugs
02-01-2011, 11:17
Consider a hammock and no bag at all. You will consume more water and sweat a lot more. I wouldn't go without a stove for a hike lasting a month or longer.

I don't think you'll have a thru - hiker problem because they will be very strung out by the time you encounter them.

Rain Man
02-17-2011, 10:02
I'm a teacher, and have June and July off. ..r. Advice? Predictions? Thanks!

MS, you might want to get in touch with LilRed on here. She's a teacher here in the Nashville area and has done several summer section hikes on the AT. I've gone with her on at least one. She could tell you her experiences with being a teacher and summer section hiker.

Rain:sunMan