PDA

View Full Version : Convice a School District!!!!!

sixguns01
01-29-2011, 03:31
I'm asking you guys and gals probably the most impossible thing ever; how do I convince my school to let me take off 5 months to do a thru hike? I am an high school English teacher. I'd be willing to blog and update my adventures (daily routines) for the school when I can along the trail. I can take off from my Summer job to do something like this, but the rest of the time I would need my school to allow it.

I understand that this may not be the normal question here, but I have to assume that other teachers have gone through thid. Any hep???!

PS I in the NE

Pommes
01-29-2011, 04:00
Simply lie. My ex mother in law took 6 months off to care for her mother after a surgery. Ask for a six month leave of absence. These days no one is gonna just let you go.

Roland
01-29-2011, 04:42
Lies and deception can snowball and lead to termination. Don't be caught of FMLA fraud. Better to work within the system to get what you want.

Many teacher contracts have an option for a one year leave of absence (one year coinciding with the school year). This benefit is not automatic; you must be granted approval. Consider requesting a LOA. An English teacher should be able to write a convincing letter to the superintendent. Show how this leave will make you a better educator. How does this trek advance your professional development plan? Include ties to education, i.e. sending weekly updates to a Geography class, as they follow your progress along the east coast. Develop sample lesson plans, to be used by colleagues whose classes will follow your progress. This will help win their support.

Be sure to question the status of your benefits, if you are granted the LOA. The district will likely not continue to pay their share of your health insurance, in your absence.

Understand the risks. As states struggle to fund education, many school districts are being forced to tighten their belts. Eliminating positions is sometimes necessary. How much seniority do you have within your department? If you are the last man in, be careful. If you're asking to leave your job for a year anyway, it would be easy to rationalize the elimination of your position, if a cut is needed. Don't give them a reason to cut your job--unless you are prepared to go on without it. If you were a Math, Science or SPED teacher, you'd be in a better position to negotiate. English teachers are a dime-a-dozen. I'm not being mean, that's just reality.

Good luck!

Iceaxe
01-29-2011, 05:37
Commit to the hike first. If you have a "fire in the belly" to hike.. do it.
The job will either be there when you get back or not.
One of the most amazing phenomenon of the trail is how doors open when we "follow our bliss".
Tell the school: "I am hiking the AT and I will be back in 5 months".
Be truthful.
I have to believe I was not an anomoly(twice!). For me the world re-arranged itself around my hike.
You are in command of your destiny and you are "on trail" the very second you commit to the hike, whatever it may be.
You are on a mission from; Fate, God, Allah, Juno, Moses, Krishna, science, faith.. who or whatever you believe.
Trust me.. drive your "vehicle" of life directly towards what appears to be a brick wall and a doorway will appear.
It is impossible to fail when you follow you bliss.
Live your Dreams!

mcskinney
01-29-2011, 06:20
It is impossible to fail when you follow you bliss.
Live your Dreams!

You'd make a great junkie

mweinstone
01-29-2011, 07:32
hike half the trail each summer two years in a row and dont ask your boss for anything. settle for less now or the stress of not finishing on time nay hurt worse. haveing a schedual of 5 months spoils freedom. freedom needs no return date.

Roland
01-29-2011, 07:38
hike half the trail each summer two years in a row and dont ask your boss for anything. ~

Arguably the best advice in this thread, yet.

Cabin Fever
01-29-2011, 08:30

+1. Also allows for renewal of the spirit over the year so he doesn't get to where he hates hiking. Also allows for renewal of the body in the case that it is needed.

Maple_Sky
01-29-2011, 09:53
I'm also a high-school English teacher, and am planning to split the trail into 3 summers, starting this summer.

I'm wondering if you are tenured, and how long you have been at your current school. It may be different in every state, or even every county, but I recall being told that here in TN, if you're tenured, the system has to hold your position for you for a year. They don't have to keep your position in the same school, so it's possible you would come back and be re-assigned to a new school. One teacher at my previous school used this rule when she moved to TX, and was waiting to see if her husband would like his job or not. I've also seen women use it after a maternity leave, when they are deciding whether they want to be stay-at-home moms.

If you are tenured, and your principal would be supportive, I would say you should see if your state/county has this kind of rule. Your union rep might be a good source for this advice. I personally have just moved schools, so I am not tenured, and trying to take leave would anger most of the people I'm trying to build relationships with. You're not alone in wondering about this though... I may be section-hiking the AT, but I have seriously considered faking a pregnancy after that to get time off to hike the PCT... :)

Toolshed
01-29-2011, 09:54
Lies and deception can snowball and lead to termination. Don't be caught of FMLA fraud. Better to work within the system to get what you want......<snipped>Good luck!
C'mon, this is part of the NJ Schoolteachers Union. There is no such thing as lying. LOL.... If you believe it enough, it happened. I guess you have to live hear to understand some of this..... :rolleyes:

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2011, 10:05
I'm asking you guys and gals probably the most impossible thing ever; how do I convince my school to let me take off 5 months to do a thru hike? I am an high school English teacher. I'd be willing to blog and update my adventures (daily routines) for the school when I can along the trail. I can take off from my Summer job to do something like this, but the rest of the time I would need my school to allow it.
What:confused: Sounds like you just want time off (AND NOTHING ELSE), figure it out yourself.

You'd be willing to blog...SO:confused: Tons of people already do this, what's so special about you blogging from the trail. There's nothing to gain from that.

You're employed and with that comes certain responsibilities, if you don't like it just quit.

Pedaling Fool
01-29-2011, 10:07
hike half the trail each summer two years in a row and dont ask your boss for anything. settle for less now or the stress of not finishing on time nay hurt worse. haveing a schedual of 5 months spoils freedom. freedom needs no return date.

Damn.... that was good.

+2

Lone Wolf
01-29-2011, 10:08
What:confused: Sounds like you just want time off (AND NOTHING ELSE), figure it out yourself.

You'd be willing to blog...SO:confused: Tons of people already do this, what's so special about you blogging from the trail. There's nothing to gain from that.

You're employed and with that comes certain responsibilities, if you don't like it just quit.

kinda what i was gonna say. walkin' the AT ain't noteworthy or special. most folks could give 2 poops when you do it.

Bearpaw
01-29-2011, 10:16
Two realistic options.

1) Break the trail up into sections and hike over the summers.

2) Give notice and hike SOBO starting in July. Reapply to your district (and all surrounding districts) when you finish. You know there are always job opening after Christmas, when folks' spouses relocate or someone just can't handle their classroom any more.

Personally, I would go with number one. It would be pretty heinous getting out there in July, deciding after a few weeks you just don't care for walking any more, and returning home in September with no job.

Lilred
01-29-2011, 10:28
I don't think it very wise to quit your teaching job as has been suggested. Teaching jobs are not easy to get these days. Do you have sick days built up???

I have high cholesterol. My doctor said he would give me a prescription to hike the AT to lower it if I wanted it. I asked my principal how that would fly with the school board and he said they could not deny it if it was prescribed by a doctor. My job at my school would be waiting for me when I got back.

Got any medical conditions hiking would help?? Know a sympathetic doctor?? Unfortunatly, I don't have the funds to be gone six months with no income......

bigcranky
01-29-2011, 10:47

+1. My wife is a teacher, and has about 6 weeks in the summer when she is not expected to be at the school. If I had that sort of schedule I'd be on the trail every summer.

tawa
01-29-2011, 10:48
Ask about flex time---this is where if u and the administration can find someone of your stature to replace you while your gone.
Try and get some administration/school board support by laying out your educational/expedition plan and how u can and will use it when u return to help with your teaching and also community lectures.
If not--just be grateful u have a job and get the summers off.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2011, 11:06

I understand that this may not be the normal question here, but I have to assume that other teachers have gone through thid. Any hep???!

PS I in the NE

Well, if I were an English teacher, I'd certainly start by drafting any letter requesting this time off with better spelling, grammar, and usage than your original post. Just sayin'.

ARambler
01-29-2011, 11:08
It took me 10 years to section hike the AT and I did not get as good an early retirement package as most teachers.

As has been stated, 2000 mi is not that big a deal. How are you going to get to 20000 mi? ... The richer get richest
Rambler

sheepdog
01-29-2011, 11:09
well, if i were an english teacher, i'd certainly start by drafting any letter requesting this time off with better spelling, grammar, and usage than your original post. Just sayin'.
:d............

Toolshed
01-29-2011, 12:30
Well, if I were an English teacher, I'd certainly start by drafting any letter requesting this time off with better spelling, grammar, and usage than your original post. Just sayin'.
Maybe he teaches in Camden...... That'd be pretty good english for Camden...just saying.......

bobqzzi
01-29-2011, 13:00
I don't think it very wise to quit your teaching job as has been suggested. Teaching jobs are not easy to get these days. Do you have sick days built up???

I have high cholesterol. My doctor said he would give me a prescription to hike the AT to lower it if I wanted it. I asked my principal how that would fly with the school board and he said they could not deny it if it was prescribed by a doctor. My job at my school would be waiting for me when I got back.

Got any medical conditions hiking would help?? Know a sympathetic doctor?? Unfortunatly, I don't have the funds to be gone six months with no income......

Wow, talk about unscrupulous!

I too am an English teacher and suggest the OP do it over 2 summers. Certainly check your contract. Ours allows for a one time one year LOA with no questions asked (no pay or benefits), perhaps yours does too. It also allows for paid ones in pursuit of educational objectives. Are you in a masters program? Perhaps you could arrange to write your dissertation on the trail (really write it, not lie about it)

sheepdog
01-29-2011, 13:09
How about just start hiking. The odds are you will quit before school starts.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2011, 13:15
How about just start hiking. The odds are you will quit before school starts.
Naysayer :p

sixguns01
01-29-2011, 13:50

True, very true. Posted at 2:31am after indulging in a copious amount of fermented libations. Ya, I was a bit buzzed. Apologize for my less than stellar writing skills and my thru hike pipe dream. Just going to keep up with my sections.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2011, 14:25
True, very true. Posted at 2:31am after indulging in a copious amount of fermented libations. Ya, I was a bit buzzed. Apologize for my less than stellar writing skills and my thru hike pipe dream. Just going to keep up with my sections.
Well, now you've made me feel bad about chastising you over your post. I was just killing time being an "English Nazi". I can't help it. Damn English teachers did it to me.

sixguns01
01-29-2011, 15:39
Well, now you've made me feel bad about chastising you over your post. I was just killing time being an "English Nazi". I can't help it. Damn English teachers did it to me.

No Sweat-

"To the cause and solution to all our problems. Beer!"
-Homer J. Simpson

sheepdog
01-29-2011, 16:19

No Sweat-

"To the cause and solution to all our problems. Beer!"
-Homer J. Simpson
Nothing like a good sport. :banana

topshelf
01-29-2011, 20:14

PS I in the NE

As a Math teacher myself, things are quite different. Once I get enough of my college loans paid off I will simply not renew my contract with my county, and say goodbye to them. When I get back they can choose to rehire me or I can easily find a job somewhere else. But Math teachers are in high high demand so finding a new job would be easy. Not so much for English teachers, but you could try that.

Could you swindle them into hiring a long term sub until you get back?
Or might be a great time to switch careers.

RichardD
01-29-2011, 23:04
The timing of the school year where I taught has the school year for teachers starting around 8th August. That would possibly put too much pressure on finishing a thru and getting back to school in time. Otherwise it's two years.
As teachers we have the incredible opportunity of two months every Summer to do as we wish. Its rather unfair on the students to leave in March and leave them with a substitute teacher for three months while you hike. They don't get another chance at that missed time.
My 2 cents. Quit teaching for two full school years and fill in with part time work if the thru is that important to you, otherwise do your job right and enjoy two months of hiking every Summer.

4eyedbuzzard
01-30-2011, 00:14
Any chance of taking a sabbatical and integrating the hike into that time?

Tagless
01-30-2011, 09:01
RichardD said...

As teachers we have the incredible opportunity of two months every Summer to do as we wish. Its rather unfair on the students to leave in March and leave them with a substitute teacher for three months while you hike. They don't get another chance at that missed time.

That's exactly what I've been thinking reading through this thread.

topshelf
01-30-2011, 11:08
The timing of the school year where I taught has the school year for teachers starting around 8th August. That would possibly put too much pressure on finishing a thru and getting back to school in time. Otherwise it's two years.
My 2 cents. Quit teaching for two full school years and fill in with part time work if the thru is that important to you, otherwise do your job right and enjoy two months of hiking every Summer.

There are many substitutes out there who are former teachers or are capable of teaching, they just don't have the correct license or what not. I know of two long term subs who are currently working for ladies who just gave birth and honestly they are doing better than the original teacher.

RichardD said...

That's exactly what I've been thinking reading through this thread.

The rest of the year can be such hell I don't know if it's worth it, ha. The stress and pressures will tear you apart. But I teach the worst of the worst...middle school...puberty... It's also not a 9-5 job. For me it's a 6-10 job, 6AM-10PM, some days are longer.

ocourse
01-30-2011, 19:34
We just don't know enough about your teaching contract to offer sound advice. But never lie about what you intend to do (or about anything else). Ask for a personal leave, and if it isn't given, just hike when you are off. BTW, how much of the summer are you actually off? I think most of us shouldn't give up our careers and retirement arrangements in such an economy, unless we are willing to start over and/or change jobs, or are very young.

The Weasel
01-30-2011, 19:56
I'm asking you guys and gals probably the most impossible thing ever; how do I convince my school to let me take off 5 months to do a thru hike? I am an high school English teacher.

Well, from having represented a few thousand teachers over my time (and being the parent of one), here's the real deal:

1) Don't do it. Don't even ask. If you're 34, you've probably been teaching as much as 10 years. If so, you're near the top of your grid. Your school administration will look at you and see a way to save aboutg $25k a year by considering you a "soon-to-leave" and helping you on the way by either non-renewal or crappy class assignments.

2) As mentioned once, stop telling people you're an English teacher and then saying "I in the NE" and you need to "convice" people. There is no "I" in the Northeast, and if you want to convict people, become a lawyer. Otherwise, if you want to impress people with your ideas, do so impressively.

3) It is doubtful that hiking the AT is going to impress people in he Northeast, who are very familiar with itand likely to be unimpressed by such an achievement. Some other trail that is more exotic and possibly of fresher academic value to your students - the PCT, for instance - might have greater value.

4) Don't lie about any of it. If you need to be reminded of this, leave education now.

TW

Red Hat
01-30-2011, 20:15
As a retired English teacher, my advice is the same as previous ones: split it over a couple of summers... or else wait until you retire, like I did...

Toolshed
01-30-2011, 20:23
Wow - RichardD - You have my attention. People like you are what we need on schoolboards and in administration. Thank you....

Well, from having represented a few thousand teachers over my time (and being the parent of one), here's the real deal:

1) Don't do it. Don't even ask. If you're 34, you've probably been teaching as much as 10 years. If so, you're near the top of your grid. Your school administration will look at you and see a way to save aboutg $25k a year by considering you a "soon-to-leave" and helping you on the way by either non-renewal or crappy class assignments.

2) As mentioned once, stop telling people you're an English teacher and then saying "I in the NE" and you need to "convice" people. There is no "I" in the Northeast, and if you want to convict people, become a lawyer. Otherwise, if you want to impress people with your ideas, do so impressively.

3) It is doubtful that hiking the AT is going to impress people in he Northeast, who are very familiar with itand likely to be unimpressed by such an achievement. Some other trail that is more exotic and possibly of fresher academic value to your students - the PCT, for instance - might have greater value.

4) Don't lie about any of it. If you need to be reminded of this, leave education now.

TW
Very nicely put Wease. I think many of us were thinking this as well

LoneRidgeRunner
01-30-2011, 20:34
kinda what i was gonna say. walkin' the AT ain't noteworthy or special. most folks could give 2 poops when you do it.

Gotta go along with LW on this one....only other hikers (and not school principles or school board members, who have your job in their hands) will be interested ....