PDA

View Full Version : Current Condition of the Boulevard Trail

mts4602
01-29-2011, 11:17
Planning on crossing the Boulevard to Leconte in a couple weeks. I've heard that the trail has not been traveled on since November and that there was a rock slide a few weeks ago taking out part of the trail.

Have any of you heard something similar?

Matt

Bianchi Veloce
01-29-2011, 11:46
http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

Canada Goose
01-29-2011, 21:52
http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

These pictures are so beautiful! Thanks for posting this link. :)

CG

Canada Goose
01-29-2011, 21:59
Can you imagine the fellow spending all day breaking trail out to the A.T., only to have the next snowfall fill it all back in again :eek:.

Still, there are worse places to work...

CG

Ox97GaMe
01-30-2011, 18:39
A lot can change in the Smokies in 2 weeks this time of year. Best bet is to get an accurate weather report from the park 2-3 days before you start. Have not heard of any rockslides in the park this winter, but that doesnt mean they havent occurred.

Based on the number of rockslides around the park area last spring, the park is concerned that there are areas where rock may still be unstable.

mts4602
02-01-2011, 19:17
I actually got my information from "highonleconte". Myself and another friend were hoping to be the first to cross the Boulevard this winter, but it was recently reported on that website that it was crossed last weekend :( We're going next weekend and are prepared, snow shoes and all. I'm hoping they get hammered next week.

HooKooDooKu
02-02-2011, 12:23
...We're going next weekend and are prepared, snow shoes and all...

Snow shoes or Cramp-ons or both? Or around here, do they mean the same?

When someone says "Snow Shoes", I think "tennis rackets on your feet". I was under the impression that most of the trails in the Smokies were too rugged for snow shoes to be of any use. But because of ice on rocky trails, cramp-ons were a MUST.

mts4602
02-02-2011, 19:54
Snow shoes or Cramp-ons or both? Or around here, do they mean the same?

When someone says "Snow Shoes", I think "tennis rackets on your feet". I was under the impression that most of the trails in the Smokies were too rugged for snow shoes to be of any use. But because of ice on rocky trails, cramp-ons were a MUST.

Yes actual snow shoes. Although we have strap on 4 point crampons as well that we used last year to go up Leconte on Alum Cave trail. Most of it was ice. Once we got up to the top we needed snow shoes though. We had to walk on a very thin line on the trail or else we'd fall through up to our waist.