PDA

View Full Version : Outsak ?

Loneoak
01-29-2011, 11:38
Do anyone of you use the Outsak and find it useful or is a nylon food bag just as good ? I know it would be useless for stopping a bear, but wondering about squirrels, raccoons etc..... on the A T.

thanks

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2011, 11:48
Heavy and not needed IMO. Nylon stuff sack works just as well. Just keep it hung away from mice and little critters. Hang from pole or tree or use the bear box where bears may be an issue.

LW will be along shortly to tell you to keep your food in your tent. Caution: Rumor has it he has a deal with the bears - he gets a commission on supplying them with tasty hikers.

Loneoak
01-29-2011, 11:50
LW will be along shortly to tell you to keep your food in your tent. Caution: Rumor has it he has a deal with the bears - he gets a commission on supplying them with tasty hikers.

LOL, yes, I am sure he will

runfifty
01-29-2011, 22:36
Did you mean "Ursack"? I used the Ursack Minor my entire thru hike and it worked great. It won't stand up to a bear but is supposed to be good against mice, raccoons, squirrels etc. It kept the mice out for me, I didn't even bother hanging it if I wasn't in bear country. It was lightweight and held just the right amount of food (for me, that is).

STICK
01-29-2011, 23:07
IMO, the "Outsak" is great. I have 2. A large and an Outsak UL. The UL has held 3 days of food for my son and I and weighs 3.6 oz (iirc). Squirrels can jump and if they manage to land right a nylon bag probably doesn't stand a chance. Sure that could be a big "if" but considering the alternative... So, it is a personal choice.

And the "Ursack" is "bear proof." At least according to the site. It is made of kevlar and may now I think maybe spectra. These are meant to be tied to the base if a tree in a way that the bear can't run off with it. According to the makers a bear cannot chew through the material thus rendering it bear proof. And obviously it works well against rodents. However, I don't have one so I can't say. A buddy has one but as far as I know it hasn't been out to the test.

I have some reviews of my Outsak on my blog if anyone is interested.

STICK
01-30-2011, 10:02
Here is my reviews on them:

Large:
http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/storage-stuff-sacks/outsak-animal-resistant-storage-bag/

UL:
http://stick13.wordpress.com/gear/storage-stuff-sacks/outsak-ul/

STICK
01-30-2011, 10:39
Correction. The "Ursack Minor" is for critters - not bears. The "Ursack" is bear and critter resistant.

STICK
01-30-2011, 11:24
I almost forgot... David is running a 30% off sale through tomorrow (31). If you think you may want one, now is the time to get one. Here is the link on how to get it since he doesn't use coupons/codes:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=42199

AeroGuyDC
01-30-2011, 11:30
I used the large Outsak UL for my 10 section last year. I don't know if any rodents attempted to get into my food, but if they did, I know they didn't succeed. The peace of mind was worth the few extra ounces IMO.

STICK
01-30-2011, 12:04
The peace of mind was worth the few extra ounces IMO.

That is my thinking too...

Loneoak
01-30-2011, 12:46
Thanks guys