PDA

View Full Version : How to preserve meat?

goldenhands
01-29-2011, 14:42
I like to prep my meals ahead of time... the last time I went backpacking for an extended period of time, I took all vegetarian.

I'm planning on an AT 2012 thru-hike. How do I prep meals in jan/feb of 2012 and make sure the meat is still good when I pick up a mail drop in maine 6 months later?

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2011, 15:12
wow wide open question, purchase it frozen in trail towns, take small retort packs or tin cans - learn about dehydration here on the old posts.

tawa
01-29-2011, 15:18
This fall I was fortunate to take two Doe's from my property. Had one processed into all venison jerky. So planning on taking and using it along the way as a source of protein. Had the other one processed into deer venison /sausage so may take a link when I get back on the trail in late Feb but don't figure it will be mailed.
It sure is some good jerky so may load down and barter with other hikes up the trail! lol

Roland
01-29-2011, 15:27
I like to prep my meals ahead of time... the last time I went backpacking for an extended period of time, I took all vegetarian.

I'm planning on an AT 2012 thru-hike. How do I prep meals in jan/feb of 2012 and make sure the meat is still good when I pick up a mail drop in maine 6 months later?

Welcome to WB, goldenhands.

There is a lot of good information here on dehydrating your own food, if that is the route you wish to follow. Using the search function may help you locate other threads on this topic.

Folks with more experience than I say that if you freeze your dehydrated food packages, they will last a very long time. So, if you have someone back home who is willing to add these to your drop boxes, just before mailing, you shouldn't have to worry about spoilage.

Others will suggest that unless you have special dietary needs, you should buy your food along the Trail. Some of the reasons given are:

Your tastes may change along the way.
There may be very little cost savings, once you pay postage.
There may be times when you feel rushed to arrive in town before the post office closes. Or you may have to stay in town an additional night, if you arrive late Saturday.
There are probably 3 people who don't complete the Trail, for every 1 that does. What will you do with all those boxes, if you are one of the 3?

Best of luck.

TheCheek
01-29-2011, 16:37
Use a salty marinade
Dehydrate
Vacuum seal
Stick in the freezer
Have someone mail them to you

Or

Buy a bunch of commercially prepared meat
Mail it

mweinstone
01-29-2011, 19:33
make jerky from briskit in your oven.
dehydrate bulk uncased sasauge and ground lean hamburger
smoke your own bacon, cook it and dehydrate it
buy pepperoni, steaks , cooked chickens and salmon in towns and cook on the trail.

Stir Fry
01-29-2011, 19:40
Go to tp://www.packitgourmet.com/ (http://www.packitgourmet.com/) start getting freeze dryed Chicken, Hamburger, Pork and anything else you like little each month you will have plenty by 2012. its easy to prepair and tasts great.

Rocket Jones
01-29-2011, 21:30
You have time to try some TVP from Harmony House. You may love it, you may like it enough to use some to supplement your meals occasionally. You may hate it, or it may hate you. :O

mweinstone
01-29-2011, 21:38
texturized vegetable protien aint right. its soylent greens evil cousin.you do know there are proteins with flavor and that are actual food yes?
spiruleena
green magma
sun clorella
nutritional brewers yeast
snow dryed tofu
tempe now comes in shelf stable
powdered instant proteen shakes of all flavors, natures way is good.so is carnation
nido whole milk powder
peanut flour
coconut flour
almond flour, gluten free
tigers milk powder drink
miso keeps forever in any temp

Great White
01-29-2011, 23:51
I have not tired it, but I hear that Biltong is a great way to preserve meat. Wikipedia has a good introduction to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2011, 00:13
make jerky from briskit in your oven.
dehydrate bulk uncased sasauge and ground lean hamburger
smoke your own bacon, cook it and dehydrate it
buy pepperoni, steaks , cooked chickens and salmon in towns and cook on the trail.

Matty - brisket is a very tough meat with lots of fat and ...well, london broil or top round is on sale enough to make a better chewable jerky. The most important thing to remember is never to use chuck.

Sausage & ground meat require a cookie dough pump to pump it, then jerky requires a special salt for that. Its called Tender Quick.

This is far more involved than what your post includes.

Wise Old Owl
01-30-2011, 00:16
I have not tired it, but I hear that Biltong is a great way to preserve meat. Wikipedia has a good introduction to it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Excellent find Biltong is a good read and a variation of jerky, thanks for the find.