Base Layer
1 Pair Terramar Body Sensors Underwear 4 oz ea
1 Mid Weight Shirt Army Surplus? Note 1 5oz Note 1
1 Marmot Driclime Wind shirt 10 oz.
1 Marmot Rain Jacket Precip Jacket & Pant jacket 12oz Pants 7oz
3 Pair of Smart wool Socks 2oz ea
2 Pair of Light Weight Nylon Shorts 2oz. ea
1 Pair Convertible Pants 10oz
1 200 Weight fleece Jacket Polartec 12 oz.
2 Pair of Gloves one camp one for hiking Note 2
1 Hat Micro Fleece have a Micro fleece Balaclava could be use as a neck warmer very light
Note 1 not sure I need this with the wind shirt
Note 2 gloves for camp are light weight fleece hiking gloves are water proof
SLEEPING GEAR
Mountain Hardware 15 deg sleeping bag 3lbs
Tent Eureka Spitfire 3lbs 4oz
Home made Tarp 6x8 12oz not sure I am gone to bring the tarp
Sleeping Pad Thermarest Prolight 1lbs 5oz most the clothing can double up if the sleeping bag is not warm enough
COOKING GEAR
Primus Canister Stove Boil water in 3 Ĺ min 12oz with windscreen pouch & repair tool
Kmart grease pot 3oz
Water Filter 12oz donít light the taste of those tablets Note 3
Fork
2 bic lighters
1 box of waterproof matches
1 Magnesium fire starter 2oz
1 Swiss Knive Tinker 2oz
Pot cleaner
Mico Towel
2 Water Bottles 1 Nalgene wide mouth 6oz Nalgene Canteen 2oz it like the playpus both are 2 liters Still not sure what I am gone to use at camp
Note 3 have bottle of polar pure for backup

MISC
First aid Kit 6oz Soap
Nikon CoolPix 8oz
Head Lamp 5oz
Duct Tape
Cup
Batteries
Toothpaste
So what do you Think

hobbs
01-29-2011, 15:33
Tent is heavy thats 3 lbs you could lose use the Tarp
1 pair of shorts not 2
Ditch the Military shirt like you thought.
No gloves if you do 1 pair
have you thought of AquaMira water drops? not the tablets or pills..just asking
drop the matchs
Drop the mag fire starter you have 2 lighters listed and you could start with 1 Buy another as you go..
Food for thought nalegan's weigh 6oz you could use Gatorade bottels they weight 1.5 thats an option...because you could get new ones when you hit towns...
First aid kit 60z? Go through you first aid kit are you going to need all of it? Do you take medication? think of it that way...
How many oz of soap? 3 total should get you through..
What was the toatl weight you came up with in your original list here?

hobbs
01-29-2011, 15:48
I only saw smartwool socks..Have you thought of Polypro sock liners? Their for running usally weight less than an once..Use them with the smart wool..Buy them cheap on ebay

takethisbread
01-29-2011, 16:33
Couple of questions;

- why four ways to start a fire? One lighter is all you need, if something crazy happens and your bic doesn't light, you can bum a light for a day or two, till u get to town. Waste of space and weight.

-socks are the most pivotal gear IMO. That you need plenty of
3-4 pairs are minimum. Dry feet is so important.

-did u mention campshoes? You will need IMO crocs or flip flops or something.

-gloves in April ? Waste.

Good list though, thorough, and shows attention.

Do a fifty mile shakedown hike to see what you are using and what you aren't. Discard items you don't use.

Gipsy
01-29-2011, 16:46
I agree with the above listed comments, Plus.......

rain gear... you could drop the tarp and precipi pants/top and replace with a poncho which could also second as a tarp, pack cover, ground sheet.

I agree with hobbs about the aqua mira drops (have a back-up plan) pumps break and clog sometimes.

And Maybe I'm an idiot, but what is a Kmart grease pot?

Graywolf
01-29-2011, 17:08
Couple of questions;

- why four ways to start a fire? One lighter is all you need, if something crazy happens and your bic doesn't light, you can bum a light for a day or two, till u get to town. Waste of space and weight.

-socks are the most pivotal gear IMO. That you need plenty of
3-4 pairs are minimum. Dry feet is so important.

-did u mention campshoes? You will need IMO crocs or flip flops or something.

-gloves in April ? Waste.

Good list though, thorough, and shows attention.

Do a fifty mile shakedown hike to see what you are using and what you aren't. Discard items you don't use.

Gloves in April a waste?? I have read many trail Journals of hikers saying how cold it can be.. I say take gloves (1 pair) just in case. Dont ever underestimate weather..

hobbs
01-29-2011, 17:15
To add to this how much does your pack way empty? I dont know what that weight is either to figure your overall weoght on your back...
Also Repair kit for Therma Rest?
Toothbrush? Saw the tooth paste but cut the handle on the tooth brish saves weight....
Also I believe your probably useing Dr Bonners? If you are get some TEA Tree OIL 100% add it to the Bonners its a Natural antiseptic that will help prevent athletes foot...Just a few drops is all you need of oil in the soap...
Also would of free advice given to me along time ago....Change your socks when you stop...Air dry the ones you were wearing on your pack while hiking...I did this with my guys in the Military and we had less issues....
But you have done well on your list.. I started the same way and now mine is at 20pds...
Also if you dont want the POLy Liners or tight on funds I have 3 xtra pairs pm me and send your address.I have no issue giving some up to you....Also have a great hike!!! Thats what its about...

takethisbread
01-29-2011, 17:43
Gloves in April a waste?? I have read many trail Journals of hikers saying how cold it can be.. I say take gloves (1 pair) just in case. Dont ever underestimate weather..
It's Georgia not the Whites!
I never saw a glove in April. Chilly at night, perhaps.
Not worth glove wearing, certainly not multiple pairs. I think u are gonna find yourself hot more often than anything.

Don H
01-29-2011, 18:10
I had snow in the S N P in April last year and was wishing I had some gloves.

hobbs
01-29-2011, 18:20
I keep comeing back to your list because I am overlooking things myself....
Comptractor Bag? keeps your cloths dry and internal
Any sea to Summit bags for cloths or sleeping bag to keep it dry?
Pack cover?
Pen and Paper? Data book? Maps?
Yes you need to add all this so we can truly figure your pack wieght...
I did the same believe me...LOL
Also takethis bread is correct do shakedowns.....Everything you take needs a function that will be multi tasked to an aspect....We want to help you succeed so take it as constructive criticism...Also what kind of shoes are you wearing and wieght? Also someone mentioned camp shoes...I have my teva's for that. You may want some cheap walmart croc's that do the same....

QiWiz
01-29-2011, 18:35
Pretty nice list.

You may be cold in camp on a cold night unless you hunker down in the sleeping bag. Can you fit the fleece over or under the DriClime windshirt and put the Marmot Precip on over both? If not, may need to rethink what you'll wear when cold in camp.

Tent is heavy. Might just use the tarp if you are experienced with tarp camping or get a lighter shelter like a SMD solo shelter, TarpTent solo shelter, or similar. You could drop more than 2 pounds that way.

Do not leave the gloves at home IMHO, as some are suggesting. Snow and temps to low 20's are not unusual all through April. I'm leaving 4/9 and you can bet I'll have gloves.

swjohnsey
01-29-2011, 21:20
I travel light but always have pile gloves and hat for sleeping at night. Down booties are worth their weight in gold.

flemdawg1
01-29-2011, 22:49
Leave the Army shirt, No need for 5 upper body layers.
1 pair of gloves.
1 lighter with matches backup (or the mag starter if you are competent with it).

bishopj
01-30-2011, 11:56
Thank for the help yep forgot to list a few things
clothing in a Trash comptractor bag also sleeping bag
first aid 6oz not 60oz hit the wrong key
Data Book,maps
croc's for camp shoes
pack cover 12oz it was made for my pack
Pack is a Jansport EX. 5Lbs little on the heavy size but fit really good
pen
my fleece will fit under my marmot rain jacket or i can wear over my wind shirt
my base weight is 30 lbs with out water this inc 5 days worth of food.
i think i put this in the list i do have polar pure as a backup for the filter.
well that it i think

takethisbread
01-30-2011, 13:06
Thank for the help yep forgot to list a few things
clothing in a Trash comptractor bag also sleeping bag
first aid 6oz not 60oz hit the wrong key
Data Book,maps
croc's for camp shoes
pack cover 12oz it was made for my pack
Pack is a Jansport EX. 5Lbs little on the heavy size but fit really good
pen
my fleece will fit under my marmot rain jacket or i can wear over my wind shirt
my base weight is 30 lbs with out water this inc 5 days worth of food.
i think i put this in the list i do have polar pure as a backup for the filter.
well that it i think

No need for 5 days worth of food till maybe the Smokey's.

hobbs
01-30-2011, 13:20
The more shackdowns you do prior to your hike the more you will see what your going to use..Thats the best way to shed some wieght from your pack....
Still 6 oz in a fisrt aid kit? Mine was a 6oz kit also and I dropped it to 2oz..That was advice I got..
But you have a good list and you know the wieght... Hope you have a great Hike...

hobbs
01-30-2011, 13:25
I never tell people what kind of pack to use..Thats a backpackers personal prefrence..I know I helped a kid from Georgia get hooked up with a Dana Design this year for his thru...It's how you feel about a pack and yes the comfort level as well..As the saying goe's there's no one portering it for you.....But yes you have a good list...

bishopj
01-31-2011, 14:50
Thank for all the help all yet takethisbread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=23639) i was only gone to 3 to 4 days of food but the way this weather been i figure i take an extra day worth of food in case i got stuck in the snow.

takethisbread
01-31-2011, 15:27
Thank for all the help all yet takethisbread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=23639) i was only gone to 3 to 4 days of food but the way this weather been i figure i take an extra day worth of food in case i got stuck in the snow.

God Bless you, I wish you the best, but you need to get out on the trail and get a feel about long distance hiking on the AT.

I couldn't imagine a April 3 starter being worried about getting stuck in the snow. You may encounter some surface snow, there may even be some snow fall, but I think you have unrealistic expectations of bad weather. Granted I'm not a Southerner, but i probably wouldn't even end up wearing long pants one day leaving at that time.

I hate to dissuade you, and I'm truly offering my advice, saving pack weight is in your best interest.

3-4 days of food is fine, even advised, but there is absolutely no reason to think you are gonna get snow bound in April. (it could happen, but seriously unlikely for it to snow like 3 ft to the point u can't move)

Just trying to help. Good luck

garlic08
01-31-2011, 15:58
...I couldn't imagine a April 3 starter being worried about getting stuck in the snow. You may encounter some surface snow, there may even be some snow fall, but I think you have unrealistic expectations of bad weather. Granted I'm not a Southerner, but i probably wouldn't even end up wearing long pants one day leaving at that time...

I started April 4 2008 and last minute I decided to bring a down vest and some other winter gear like decent gloves and a hat and my rain pants. That decision kept me hiking through two winter storms in mid-April. I got to see the Smokies, all alone, in a foot of fresh snow and mid-teen temps, and my hike over Mt Rogers in late April was close to survival mode. Sure, you can bail to town like everyone else that year, or get frostbite and end up hospitalized like one guy I met coming out of the Smokies, or get lucky and be in the lower elevations when the spring storms hit. I lived in the foothills of Colorado at the time, very familiar with real winter, and I'll never underestimate Appalachian spring storms. Good wisdom I heard was to carry winter gear until the Trail Days weekend in mid-May, no matter where you are at that time.

takethisbread
01-31-2011, 16:14
I started April 4 2008 and last minute I decided to bring a down vest and some other winter gear like decent gloves and a hat and my rain pants. That decision kept me hiking through two winter storms in mid-April. I got to see the Smokies, all alone, in a foot of fresh snow and mid-teen temps, and my hike over Mt Rogers in late April was close to survival mode. Sure, you can bail to town like everyone else that year, or get frostbite and end up hospitalized like one guy I met coming out of the Smokies, or get lucky and be in the lower elevations when the spring storms hit. I lived in the foothills of Colorado at the time, very familiar with real winter, and I'll never underestimate Appalachian spring storms. Good wisdom I heard was to carry winter gear until the Trail Days weekend in mid-May, no matter where you are at that time.

Can we all agree it can snow (as previously stated!) but the possibility of being snowed in is remarkably remote, and that we all can agree you are thousands of times more likely to spent most of your time sweating rather than building snow men.

The average temp in April in Dahlinega on April 3 is almost 70 degrees. This is not Mt Rainier. There is absolutely no reason to be in fear of being "snowed in".

flemdawg1
01-31-2011, 17:06
Can we all agree it can snow (as previously stated!) but the possibility of being snowed in is remarkably remote, and that we all can agree you are thousands of times more likely to spent most of your time sweating rather than building snow men.

The average temp in April in Dahlinega on April 3 is almost 70 degrees. This is not Mt Rainier. There is absolutely no reason to be in fear of being "snowed in".

No we can't, simply because you just don't know what you are talking about. :mad:

I plan to section hike GA this April, right now I'm not sure what I'll be bringing. But I doubt I'll be bringing my summer sleeping bag. 2 weeks into spring is not always sunny and nice. There's a REAL possibility of cold and snow. Maybe not 2 ft of snow/fighting for survival weather. But definately cold enough to make for some frostbite and a cold miserable night.

Sassafras Lass
01-31-2011, 18:06

I have to disagree.

I've done all my hiking in the Smokies - every trip we make it up LeConte one way or another - first weekend of April 2010 was very snowy with tons of thru-hikers - first week of April 2009 unleashed a snowstorm that closed the park and when we finally did make it up the mtns the snow was pushing towards your knees.

I'm from Michigan and I'm planning my NOBO thru-hike clothing as if I were hiking in Michigan come March - not Georgia/NC/TN, because I don't want to be caught unawares and I'll be darned if I'm getting hypothermia or frostbite.

Heck, it was 50 degrees in Gatlinburg on New Year's Day and we hiked up LeConte for the holiday weekend - it was a positive hurricane, never in my life have I been out in such weather - soaked to the bone and making bad choices, my husband was truly scared of getting hypothermia and didn't want to fall asleep and die. I will never underestimate the mountains.

Shera
02-02-2011, 10:49
Clothing can't double as a sleeping pad, esp bc you'll be wearing most of it at night w a 15 degree bag (if you're like me). I recommend getting a 3/4 foam pad.
Tarp not necessary, but you may consider a ground sheet for under your tent. The Neels Gap crew cut up my sturdy emergency blanket and made a ground sheet that lasted 2200 miles.
2 socks are fine. No shorts, if you have convertible pants. No fire starter necessary if you have all that warm gear. Rain pants optional--I never used mine, except in MA as mosquito protectors. Limit to 1 set of gloves.
I had a pump but it annoyed me so I switched to iodine the entire way and covered any taste with koolaid, which was like liquid crack and I flew up and down mountains.
1 lighter fine, no need for matches.
What's pot cleaner? It's not necessary anyways.
My trusty water system was 2 platypus bladders and a hose. I would connect one, put it on top of my pack and have water while hiking, instead of nalgene, which are heavy and bulky and pointless.
No cup, only tiny soap (I preferred individually wrapped wipes instead).
I loved deet wipes (like off makes), bc you will need deet.
I highly recommend trekking poles. Never liked them, but everyone peer pressured me. They're awesome and prevent falls, make fords easier.
I recommend trail running shoes, at least from Damascus on.
Strongly recommend ULA pack. Used for 2200 miles, then other trips, now AT again & doesn't look hardly used. Very, very light.
sounds like you're much better off than most you'll see. I started at 55 lbs (and only weighed 120), got Neels Gapped (those guys are awesome) & ended up with 25 lbs-ish and finished in 4 months. See you out there.