PDA

View Full Version : Smokies

rrsmith
01-29-2011, 19:20
In the smokies this weekend and all roads are clear and no snow. 65 degrees today and warmer tomorrow. Hiking Newfound Gap tomorrow. As a note to North Bounders the Smokie Mt Outfitter in Gatlingburg :Dis now closed.

beas
01-29-2011, 22:05
Did they go out of business? I was there this summer and they had moved much closer to the park. It is very close to another outfiter.
The NOC has opened up a store also very close to the park. Little "Ritzy" for me.

BEAS

LoneRidgeRunner
01-29-2011, 22:13
In the smokies this weekend and all roads are clear and no snow. 65 degrees today and warmer tomorrow. Hiking Newfound Gap tomorrow. As a note to North Bounders the Smokie Mt Outfitter in Gatlingburg :Dis now closed.

Hmmm..no snow at the higher elevations? on the trails?....that's odd considering all the snow they've had this winter...did you go up to around 5000+ feet?
Reason I'm asking is I was just on the GSMNP website last week I think and it said that at the higher elevations there were places where the snow was waist deep...

of course you DID say roads..not the trails ..I'm just wondering what the trails at the high spots are like....I'm planning a section hike there in March, which can be pretty snowy at 5000+ feet there

10-K
01-29-2011, 22:37
This was on the park website, dated Jan 28th:

Snow/ice Warning - snow and ice accumulations are present on backcountry trails, especially at high elevation. Travel in the backcountry is difficult at this time. Ice crampons/grippers for boots are recommended.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-29-2011, 22:54
This was on the park website, dated Jan 28th:

Snow/ice Warning - snow and ice accumulations are present on backcountry trails, especially at high elevation. Travel in the backcountry is difficult at this time. Ice crampons/grippers for boots are recommended.

That's pretty similar to what I read there a week or so ago..except it said somewhere that snow was waist deep in some places at the higher elevations..

Ox97GaMe
01-30-2011, 18:32
The SMHC had sawyers in the park this past week getting a jump on the winter blowdowns. Between NFG and Clingman's had over 3 ft of snow as of Thur Jan 27th. We have had 3 very nice days in the valley, but I doubt that it has been warm enough on top to have melted that much away that quickly.

Luddite
01-30-2011, 18:34
I just checked the weather for GSMNP this morning and was very surprised to see highs in the 60's. Maybe it won't be too cold to start a thru-hike in Feb.

SGT Rock
01-30-2011, 18:42
I was planning on jumping on at Newfound Gap this coming weekend. Maybe I'll wait...

Smokey Mountain Outfitters Closed? They just got that new building. By any chance did you just go to the old one and it wasn't there anymore?

The Cleaner
01-30-2011, 19:02
I just checked the weather for GSMNP this morning and was very surprised to see highs in the 60's. Maybe it won't be too cold to start a thru-hike in Feb. Winter's not over yet...It's not unusual to have some warm days followed by the return of winter....Last Febuary was about as bad as January,snow&cold many cloudy&windy days and that was here in the valley....

TNjed
01-30-2011, 19:52
its only the beginning of February, it will snow in March for sure,
if not this month

rrsmith
01-30-2011, 20:01
Went out today and there was only alittle snow on the trail maybe 2" and only in spots, the rest was mud !!

rrsmith
01-30-2011, 20:03
That's not Smoky Mt outfitters that's NOC outfitters and you better have lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$

rrsmith
01-30-2011, 20:04
Did they go out of business? I was there this summer and they had moved much closer to the park. It is very close to another outfiter.
The NOC has opened up a store also very close to the park. Little "Ritzy" for me.

BEAS
Yep better have lots of $$$$$$

rrsmith
01-30-2011, 20:06
Hmmm..no snow at the higher elevations? on the trails?....that's odd considering all the snow they've had this winter...did you go up to around 5000+ feet?
Reason I'm asking is I was just on the GSMNP website last week I think and it said that at the higher elevations there were places where the snow was waist deep...

of course you DID say roads..not the trails ..I'm just wondering what the trails at the high spots are like....I'm planning a section hike there in March, which can be pretty snowy at 5000+ feet there
Mummmm ??? had 12 " last week and most has melted...don't beleive most of what you read,,,I was there today !!

SGT Rock
01-30-2011, 20:31
Smokey Mountain Outfitters moved over to 206 Long Branch Rd across from Benett's BBQ.

Not the same as NOC which is 1138 Parkway.

double j
01-30-2011, 21:50
Went out today and there was only alittle snow on the trail maybe 2" and only in spots, the rest was mud !!
i did the smokys in the mud not very fun

Sassafras Lass
02-01-2011, 17:46

We went up LeConte via Bullhead and down Rainbow New Year's weekend - there was plenty of snow and New Year's Day was the worst weather I've ever walked in. On the highest ridgeline the snow was at our knees. I know Gatlinburg's seen some warm weather but I don't think all that snow has melted, I'd hazard a guess that there's still probably 10" at least - if you want a realistic idea of the mt. conditions check out the LeConte Lodge website http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-posts.html

MkBibble
02-02-2011, 16:30
This might be an appropriate place to share this information.

SGT Rock has posted the Smoky Mountain Closures website previously. It is here:
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/temproadclose.htm

Earlier today the "Great Smoky Mountains Association" posted on their facebook page this information:
Those who'd like to be notified of the status of the Park’s four most popular roads - Newfound Gap (U.S. 441), Little River Road, Laurel Creek Road, and Cades Cove Loop Road – can opt to get text messages to their cell phones by texting: follow smokiesroadsnps to 40404