PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag liners: ripstop silk & durability

EBC
01-30-2011, 00:02
I just received my mummy liner from Amazon. It's nice but contrary to the item description, the silk is percale rather than ripstop. Wondering if that matters.

Has anyone found a practical difference between the two fabrics, especially with regards to durability? Looking to hear from people who have something to say on this riveting subject :p

grayfox
01-30-2011, 13:57
I thought I would take a chance on having a good answer for you so you could stop holding your breath while waiting -- as I am sure you were!

OK here is what I think: It does matter in some fabrics.

I have several silk liners. Silk is very strong and tearing is not a problem. Some of my lighter liners have places where the threads have moved to leave thin places in the material. You can see these places most easily when you look through the fabric from the inside of the liner. The ripstop weaves do not do this and are usually a bit heavier fabric, relatively speaking. Ripstop liners sometimes cost more--so if you paid more than you would have, had you known that the fabric was not ripstop, then perhaps you should complain.

However, your liner may function perfectly well for your needs. Silk threads are very durable. Wash your liner in cool water by hand or on the gentle cycle and hang to dry and your liner should serve you well.

Hope this helps.

ARambler
01-30-2011, 16:09
All of my silk liners were not ripstop. They only tore at the seam, but lassted one thru hike.
Rambler