PDA

View Full Version : Parking issues

nowhere_man
01-30-2011, 22:04
Greetings fellow hikers,

This will be my first hike along the Appalachian Trail and I've already hit a snag. I plan on hiking the Ga. section from Springer Mtn. to NC with a buddy of mine. The "snag" is this: parking. The plan so far is to drive 2 cars, drop one off someplace in NC and drive the other down to the start point at Amicalola Falls and drive back to it when we reach the other vehicle. Does anyone out there know a good place to leave a vehicle at a spot in NC that is relativley close to the GA/NC border? Thanks

Don H
01-30-2011, 22:34
Go to this site forhttp://rohland.homedns.org/at/at_menu.aspx AT parking info

bigcranky
01-30-2011, 22:42
Standing Indian Campground is your best bet. There is a nice parking lot there, and we've left vehicles several times without problems. The campground is reached by the Kimsey Creek Trail from Deep Gap on the A.T., just north of the NC/GA border.

Another option is to drive one car, and get a shuttle from your start or end point. This is really easy in Georgia.

bigcranky
01-30-2011, 22:46
Let me add that if this is your first long hike, I'd recommend parking at Amicalola Falls State Park in Georgia, and start hiking north. Then get a ride back to your car when you finish hiking. This saves some time and money in case you get injured or for some other reason don't complete the whole hike. The money you save by not bringing two cars will pay for most of the shuttle.

nowhere_man
01-30-2011, 22:53
Thanks for the speedy responses Gents. Problem solved. I really appreciate it.