PDA

View Full Version : Bland, VA Questions

dabjrnl
01-30-2011, 23:22
Does anybody know of anyplace in Bland that would allow parking of 2 or 3 cars for a week? Also, area shuttlers that would be able to transport 7 to Damascus the Friday night of Trail Days? I'm planning to hike from Damascus to Bland starting that Saturday morning.

Thanks.

hobbs
01-30-2011, 23:52
Does anybody know of anyplace in Bland that would allow parking of 2 or 3 cars for a week? Also, area shuttlers that would be able to transport 7 to Damascus the Friday night of Trail Days? I'm planning to hike from Damascus to Bland starting that Saturday morning.

Thanks.
Since I grew up in Monmouth County NJ... I looked this up for you...Big Walker Motel in Bland (276) 688-3331 The companion say to also ask about shuttle possibilities....If not they have a Visitors bureau webiste as well.....You could always you MT Rogers to shuttle you...

Cookerhiker
01-31-2011, 08:38
From another NJ native - you could also try the Rendezvous Motel in Pearisburg - they shuttled me from their location down to Atkins. 540-921-2636

Rain Man
01-31-2011, 10:39
Since I grew up in Monmouth County NJ... I looked this up for you...Big Walker Motel in Bland (276) 688-3331.

I contacted Big Walker Motel before a section hike in the Fall. They said I could park vehicles there only if I were a guest staying at the Motel, even though I offered to pay. Since we ended a hike at Bland and started another there, the Motel lost two opportunities for some revenue from what appeared to be a large empty parking lot. In short, they intentionally were not hiker-friendly to my groups, even when they lost revenue over it.

Rambunny, a multiple-thru-hiker who owns the Happy Hiker Hollow hostel and is a member of WB, would probably know the shuttle situation as well as anyone in your stretch of trail. You might PM her on here or call (276-783-3754).

Rain Man

Land_Shark
01-31-2011, 10:52
Land shark on the move. I will give you and whom ever is with you a ride buck a mile. One person or twenty same price. MY wife (LRExpress) and I trail magic the whole state of Va. I do mean the whole state. I am easy to find and hear because I start hiking at 4 in the morning and am always in a kilt, ALWAYS. Not to mention the coffee and blueberry that is always in my pack. The folks at the Walker Inn are supper cool cats they know me call them and speak to them about your car situation. There is always the DQ across from the hotel. Let me know if I can help. GOD speed and good luck.

hobbs
02-01-2011, 00:00
I contacted Big Walker Motel before a section hike in the Fall. They said I could park vehicles there only if I were a guest staying at the Motel, even though I offered to pay. Since we ended a hike at Bland and started another there, the Motel lost two opportunities for some revenue from what appeared to be a large empty parking lot. In short, they intentionally were not hiker-friendly to my groups, even when they lost revenue over it.

Rambunny, a multiple-thru-hiker who owns the Happy Hiker Hollow hostel and is a member of WB, would probably know the shuttle situation as well as anyone in your stretch of trail. You might PM her on here or call (276-783-3754).

Rain Man

. Rainman do you know why it's in the Companion then? Thats were I got it from....Thansk for letting me know I appreciate it as well...

dabjrnl
02-01-2011, 00:24
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll get to work making some phone calls. Thanks for the offer LoanShark. As I begin to pull this all together I'll get in touch.

Hobbs - Where ya from? Born and raised "clamdigger" from Middletown.

dabjrnl
02-01-2011, 00:25
Wow. I meant Land_Shark. Guess all those stereotypes about Jersey are true after all ;-)

hobbs
02-01-2011, 00:36
Thanks for the help everyone. I'll get to work making some phone calls. Thanks for the offer LoanShark. As I begin to pull this all together I'll get in touch.

Atlantic Highlands right next to ya bro..LOL I just got hit with a pm from someone from Navesink!!!! I will be down your way on my thru..plan on seeing friends for a couple zeros in the area..My friends dad works by DWG and will give me the lift to and from....Hope to run into ya on the trail...:sun

Rain Man
02-01-2011, 12:27
Rain Man do you know why it's in the Companion then? Thats were I got it from....Thansk for letting me know I appreciate it as well...

No idea, except they may be friendly to guests. I don't mean to dis the place, but you asked, so I let you know my actual experience. I thought it strange, but didn't argue with them. Best to you and your group!

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
02-01-2011, 12:47
I think they're in the Companion because they are near the Trail and their rates are reasonable. It's basically a place to stay if you want to get out of the rain or just have a soft bed for a night. I stayed there in '05 on a section hike.

Not all establishments listed in the Companion are "hiker friendly" to the same degree but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be listed.

Sickmont
02-01-2011, 12:56

Atlantic Highlands right next to ya bro..LOL I just got hit with a pm from someone from Navesink!!!! I will be down your way on my thru..plan on seeing friends for a couple zeros in the area..My friends dad works by DWG and will give me the lift to and from....Hope to run into ya on the trail...:sun

West Long Branch in da house!! Thankfully i spent most of my formative years running(racing) up and down 36 from Highlands to Keyport......

hobbs
02-01-2011, 13:49
West Long Branch in da house!! Thankfully i spent most of my formative years running(racing) up and down 36 from Highlands to Keyport......
Did you run for Long Branch High? I might have raced against you...Hahaha yeah I was on the Cross Country team that took the Division and Sectional title 2 times...

Sickmont
02-01-2011, 13:50
Did you run for Long Branch High? I might have raced against you...Hahaha yeah I was on the Cross Country team that took the Division and Sectional title 2 times...

Nah, i went to Shore Regional HS.....and yeah i ran track and cross country back then so actually you might have whupped my arse.....

hobbs
02-01-2011, 13:52
I think they're in the Companion because they are near the Trail and their rates are reasonable. It's basically a place to stay if you want to get out of the rain or just have a soft bed for a night. I stayed there in '05 on a section hike.

Not all establishments listed in the Companion are "hiker friendly" to the same degree but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be listed.
Thanks cookerhiker explaining that to me...I never knew...Also I have to say from your posts about the History of the AT are exciteing because you know alot about the older hikers...I appreciate that you offer that to Newbies....;)

hobbs
02-01-2011, 13:53
No idea, except they may be friendly to guests. I don't mean to dis the place, but you asked, so I let you know my actual experience. I thought it strange, but didn't argue with them. Best to you and your group!

Rain Man to me your setting the record straight..Your not dissing but letting a hiker know....there's a difference..Thank you...

hobbs
02-01-2011, 13:55
Nah, i went to Shore Regional HS.....and yeah i ran track and cross country back then so actually you might have whupped my arse.....
Yes I did!!! LOL But I ended up a walk on at UT after the Army...Did one year of running in college and that was it..But everyone in the area had good teams....

ratfaceraines
02-01-2011, 13:55
although, i am north of bland(pearisburg) i can offer you a shuttle(at reasonable rates) and a place to park your vehicles(my house) and a return shuttle back to your vehicles if interested, please call don at 540-921-7433(RIDE)

hobbs
02-01-2011, 14:08
bert 304 is from navesink he sent me a pm yesterday.....Let you guys from the SHORE Know......

bessiebreeze
02-01-2011, 20:10
I was in Bland a couple of times last summer, and stayed at the Big Walker Motel, and they are definitely not hiker friendly. The first time I was there, in June, I was with a couple of friends, and the stay was fair. The second time, in July, I was by myself, and the shuttler I had made arrangement with was not available, so I asked the guy at the desk (I think he was the owner) if he could give me the number of someone in the area who could run a shuttle. He said "I don't know you, and I not giving out any phone numbers", so I replied that I had been there a few weeks earlier, and my credit card went through OK, and he said "I don't like your attitude, you are a smart alec." So, I shut up, not wanting to antagonize him further. But I was a little frightened by his outburst. And I really can't recommend this place, but it's the only place like a motel to stay in that area.
However, I can recommend the shuttler that ran a couple of shuttles for me. He is Jeff Profitt, 1-276-688-3257. He is on the ATC shuttle list. He was very helpful. He lives very near Bland, and is extra nice.

bert304
02-01-2011, 21:10
Hi everyone, I am living in Pa just south of Port Clinton.

Rain Man
02-01-2011, 23:05
He said "I don't know you, and I not giving out any phone numbers", so I replied that I had been there a few weeks earlier, and my credit card went through OK, and he said "I don't like your attitude, you are a smart alec."

Another Nashville trouble-maker, eh?!!! ~wink~

Joking aside, sorry to hear about your experience, which was much worse than mine.

You know about the "Nashville Backpacker" Meetup.com group? Meeting this Saturday and hike at Long Hunter next weekend? Also, annual WhiteBlaze dinner on the 26th, if you're interested.