PDA

View Full Version : Sigg Tourist Cookset

tlavergne
01-31-2011, 17:44
New guy here. I used a Sigg Tourist cook set in the early/mid seventy's with my Svea 123 stove. Anybody still use those? I am retiring this year and am looking over my 40 year old gear wondering what needs upgrading and what is just fine.
Tom

tlavergne
01-31-2011, 17:46
Just to make it clear, the Svea is going hiking. It's the Sigg Tourist cook set I am asking about. Thanks.
Tom

grayfox
01-31-2011, 18:07
Tom, welcome.

I love my old Svea as well. I guess the answer would depend on whether you intend to cook the same way we used to on the trail. I now use many dehydrated ingredients and tend to just boil water, add food, simmer a few minutes and then put the pot in a cozy to finish 'cooking'.

If you have the pot support and windscreen that nests inside the cook set with the stove in the middle, I would bring the whole set--well may just one of the pots and the lid. If you use the little tiny pot and windscreen, then a light pot like the MSR Titan kettle and lid would be a light solution that would give enough volume to actually cook something.

I think you should bring your Svea along just for the sound. Nothing like the roar of that stove to wake you up to the smell of coffee on the trail. These modern day alcohol stove users don't know what they're missing!

pyroman53
01-31-2011, 18:32
Gotta wonder about the seals on an old stove like that. I have the same setup, including tourister cookset, but wouldn't use it for fear of blowing a gasket. I think you can get a rebuild kit (or so my buddy once told me) but, there are so many better options now...

For now, my Svea lives on the shelf next to my old external A4 Kelty and my 40 year old sleeping bag.

Feral Bill
01-31-2011, 18:46
[QUOTE=tlavergne;1105585]Just to make it clear, the Svea is going hiking. QUOTE]

That goes without saying, no?

Feral Bill
01-31-2011, 18:52
Gotta wonder about the seals on an old stove like that. I have the same setup, including tourister cookset, but wouldn't use it for fear of blowing a gasket. I think you can get a rebuild kit (or so my buddy once told me) but, there are so many better options now...

For now, my Svea lives on the shelf next to my old external A4 Kelty and my 40 year old sleeping bag.

Check on Ebay for fuel lid gaskets. They show up often. I got 6 for less than a dollar each, shipped from England. If you can't find any PM me.

I found the cookset a challenge to clean, but I'm not the tidiest guy around.

There is nothing wrong with 40 year old gear. I use it all the time.

FB

veteran
02-14-2011, 09:24
There is Sigg Tourist Cookset w/Two Svea Stoves listed on Ebay now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigg-Tourist-Cook-Set-w-Two-Svea-Stoves-Used-/130485586404?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e618c09e4

Parts source for Svea 123

http://packstoves.net/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_38

generoll
02-14-2011, 09:48
if you're not taking the cookset offer it on Ebay. they command pretty high prices. if the cap gasket is leaking you can buy rebuild kits. check it out before you spend the money. those things last a long time.

tlavergne
02-21-2011, 19:05
Generoll...I like your avatar. The Svea is going along with the Sigg Tourist. I am having my old Gerry sleeping bag cleaned, refurbished, and put into shape. My 1973 North Face tuolumne tent will probably go as well. The only thing so far that I have decided to upgrade is my pack. The old gear really brings back memories.

Feral Bill
02-21-2011, 23:02
Generoll...I like your avatar. The Svea is going along with the Sigg Tourist. I am having my old Gerry sleeping bag cleaned, refurbished, and put into shape. My 1973 North Face tuolumne tent will probably go as well. The only thing so far that I have decided to upgrade is my pack. The old gear really brings back memories.

Add a nice vintage Kelty external, a slab of ensolite, and a 60/40 Parka and you're good to go.

tlavergne
02-22-2011, 08:57
Still have them all but the ensolite has hardened a bit and cracked and the old external frame does not seem as comfortable as it once was. Wait...that's describing me!

redshoes
02-25-2011, 16:55
I did the southern half of the AT in 2009 (feet gave out in PA). I carried a SVEA 123. The stove fits perfectly inside the GSI Soloist pot. The SVEA is a little heavier than the new stoves but boils water FAST! I have the Sigg Kit but only use it for groups.