PDA

View Full Version : Foot Health

SwingLow
01-31-2011, 18:44
I was thinking about brining dry baby wipes to clean my feet each day. I got this idea from someone I met on the trail who brings Rubbing Alcohol and dry pads for his feet. I just figured baby wipes would be lighter, but wonder if they work as well. Just trying to have happy healthy feet :). Does anyone else bring anything like that?

Don H
01-31-2011, 18:58
I carry those packs of 15 or 20 baby wipes and use them to clean all over including my feet. I use 3 or 4 each evening before climbing in the sack.

sbhikes
01-31-2011, 20:52
I washed my feet every night on the PCT with just a bandana and a little bit of water. Not sure if this would work as well for the AT. The PCT is very dry and dusty.

Erin
01-31-2011, 22:21
My luxury item for my feet also. Clean and healthy feet=good hike.

Spirit Walker
02-01-2011, 00:09
Baby wipes are heavy. Along the AT there are a lot of streams. In many places you'll be able to take a bath (but no soap please!) If not, just get water at the stream and clean with a bandana back at your campsite.

Plain Pete
02-02-2011, 15:54
I often travel to 3rd world countries where bathing is not always an option. I carry individually packaged wipes for cleaning just about everything. Also carry them on the trail for face, feet, pits and other lower extremity clean-ups.

Spokes
02-02-2011, 16:37
I agree with Spirit Walker, those baby wipes are way too heavy. I just used my ShamWow to wash them off when in camp. I'd also always try to let my feet air dry on breaks.

Now that's an AT spa treatment!

Land_Shark
02-09-2011, 16:44
Land shark on the move. Baby wipes will need to be packed out. Washing requires no trash hauling not finger wagging but this way is easier. Power glide power glide power glide. Can I say more.

swjohnsey
02-09-2011, 18:23
Or you can use the infantry method, footpowder. I like something like Tinactin because it will prevent athlete's foot and other fungal problems. Powder feet once a day using socks to clean between toes removing toe jam and such. Rotate socks. Socks will get permeated with the powder and stay relative odor free.

mweinstone
02-09-2011, 21:03
we do not take baths in streams along the AT. we do nothing at all at the waters edge but take water and go elsewhere to wash with bandannas and soap. we do not spit or spray toothpaste on the ground. we make a deppression with our heal and spit it in there and cover it. we use shampoo and soap and get all kinds of clean , and with solar heated water and heated stove water. but we do it away from , and downhill from water sources.

swjohnsey
02-09-2011, 21:39
Is there a mouse in your pocket?

Red Beard
02-10-2011, 00:23
I use denatured alcohol as both fuel, and a foot cleaner. It seems to help with swelling too. Could be my imagination.

swjohnsey
02-10-2011, 00:53
Didn't think about that. If you carried Everclear you could use it to drink, bathe and cook.

mweinstone
02-10-2011, 06:45
the newest hazard to hikers is accedental ingestion of denatured alcohol witch cannot be made non poisoness. thas why poison control numbers are in some shelters. it is not enough to clearly mark a water bottel used for fuel. t must have a ducktape around it that can be felt in the dark as well as warnings seen in the day.
the oldest hazard to hikers is themselves.

SwingLow
02-10-2011, 18:10
Didn't think about that. If you carried Everclear you could use it to drink, bathe and cook.
lol I wish whiteblaze had a "like" button.

the newest hazard to hikers is accedental ingestion of denatured alcohol witch cannot be made non poisoness. thas why poison control numbers are in some shelters. it is not enough to clearly mark a water bottel used for fuel. t must have a ducktape around it that can be felt in the dark as well as warnings seen in the day.
the oldest hazard to hikers is themselves.

Good to know.