PDA

View Full Version : has anyone tried these?

Megapixel
01-31-2011, 20:44
any thoughts on using these instead of bear bagging? :

http://www.loksak.com/products/opsak

just keep the food in your tent with you.

topshelf
01-31-2011, 21:18
any thoughts on using these instead of bear bagging? :

http://www.loksak.com/products/opsak

just keep the food in your tent with you.

some will have a problem with the fact that food could touch the outside and then the outside of the bag will smell, or you'll touch food then the bag, so the bag will smell. So some will highly object.

Others don't really bear bag much on the AT except in areas where bears have been seen.

I would just get the food out of your tent. No need to have a bear, or rodent chew a hole in your tent for some food it smells.

Tipi Walter
01-31-2011, 21:24
Plus, grizzlies have a sense of smell 7,000 TIMES greater than a human; I'm not sure of a black bear's sense of smell. I've heard that bears can smell food inside canned food.

Luddite
01-31-2011, 21:29
It'll probably work. The outside of the bag won't smell any more than your clothes do after cooking. Some people keep their food in their tents and never have any problems. I wouldn't use it in Grizzly country though.

Wise Old Owl
01-31-2011, 21:30
I am under the impression that these are bags with carbon,

aww who needs it, kind of like the green bags prevent veggies going bad... minutia

I have had a recent change of heart

Don H
01-31-2011, 21:39
I use these to put my food in before I hang it.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-31-2011, 21:45
If I was in an area that had bear activity I would not trust these. May as well hang.

mweinstone
01-31-2011, 21:59
in a clean room enviroment with mechanical hands if a can of beans was loaded into one of these bags , with both the can of beans and the bag haveing been seperatly steralized, and with both haveing been taken directly from a special clean run at the factories where they were made,...a polar bear would be able to track it at a distance of 400 miles. if a polar bear was put into a space suit and placed on the moon and a rocket was landed next to it containing a sealed chamber with a can of beans in it, the polar bear could track it. if a polar bear was put in a space suit on the surface of the sun and a can of beans was placed in a sealed chamber on pluto, the polar bear would be able to navigate a starship directly to the can of beans. lets say a polar bear was placed in a different galaxsy than our own. if a can of beans was placed in a sealed chamber in the center of the earths magma core, the polar bear would be able to track it given the right spacetime ship.

sleep with your food.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-31-2011, 22:02
in a clean room enviroment with mechanical hands if a can of beans was loaded into one of these bags , with both the can of beans and the bag haveing been seperatly steralized, and with both haveing been taken directly from a special clean run at the factories where they were made,...a polar bear would be able to track it at a distance of 400 miles. if a polar bear was put into a space suit and placed on the moon and a rocket was landed next to it containing a sealed chamber with a can of beans in it, the polar bear could track it. if a polar bear was put in a space suit on the surface of the sun and a can of beans was placed in a sealed chamber on pluto, the polar bear would be able to navigate a starship directly to the can of beans. lets say a polar bear was placed in a different galaxsy than our own. if a can of beans was placed in a sealed chamber in the center of the earths magma core, the polar bear would be able to track it given the right spacetime ship.

sleep with your food.
That's what I was trying to say.

mweinstone
01-31-2011, 22:09
when i hike ,me and my gear are covered head to toe with bacon sizzelings from the finest hogs fed only organic acorns and put to sleep each day with a marriacha band. my pillow is made from 900 fill goose bacon and its differencial cut slant box construction is woven from the finest sweet lebanon balogna in the land. my megamid has no floor and i never pitch to the ground. i have a blikning sign that shows two bears feasting on my carcass on my stomped tent with an arrow pointed at the entrance that i always keep open. i leave a tape player playing bear feeding sounds all night. sleep like a bear. never had a prob.

Megapixel
01-31-2011, 22:18
thanks for the advice. i shall now not worry about my own bacon addiction in the woods. i recently bought a pot with a frypan lid. now just need to get one of those pillows.

beakerman
01-31-2011, 22:20

sleep with your food.

And that's why I hate bears....the only good one is a dead one. warm up this planet and kill of those polar bears...before they get us.

MkBibble
01-31-2011, 22:26
like the old saying (don't have to be faster than a bear; just faster than the other hiker...). you don't need to be totally scent free; just don't smell as good as your neighbor... and make sure that neighbor smells of "bacon sizzelings from the finest hogs."

Spogatz
02-01-2011, 14:24
Just ask the bears what they like to eat and don't take that with you on the hike. Then they will not be tempted.....