PDA

View Full Version : My Topo- Map Pass

LoneRidgeRunner
01-31-2011, 20:51
I don't know how many use mytopo.com / map pass but I have noticed a problem with it today.
I decided to purchase a "map pass" there at $29.95 which allows full access to create, download, and print unlimited numbers of maps for a full year, which I assumed would be a substantial savings over ordering the printed maps after creating and customizing.
So I test drove it by creating my first map to print. I set it up to print at a scale of 1/24,000 with Latitude/Longitude grid tick marks.
When I downloaded it and was about ready to print it I used my 1/24,000 Latitude/Longitude ruler to check the accuracy by measuring between two Latitude tick marks that were 1 minute apart and found they were off by a full 2 seconds, which is totally unacceptable.
I have emailed them for a refund a whopping 3 hours after I bought it and if they are reputable I should get a refund since it comes with a 30 day money back guarantee.
This makes me question the accuracy of the maps they print also.
Just thought I would post this for the good of the community. I think I'll stick with the US Geological Survey and Forest Service maps.

jerseydave
01-31-2011, 20:55
If I understand you correctly, you measured the map on the monitor?

If thats the case, I'd print out a copy of the same map and measure it on paper just to verify the error.

birdog
01-31-2011, 21:01
Make sure the scale is in fact 1:24000. My printer shrinks maps down and throws off the scale.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-31-2011, 21:05
Make sure the scale is in fact 1:24000. My printer shrinks maps down and throws off the scale.

I didn't measure the printed map. I measure it on the monitor at the actual size it would print. Maybe as Dave suggested I should go back and print it and then measure it again on paper.
Thanks for your input.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-31-2011, 21:08
If I understand you correctly, you measured the map on the monitor?

If thats the case, I'd print out a copy of the same map and measure it on paper just to verify the error.

Yes, I measured it on the monitor. I think I will re-create the same map and print it and see how it turns out.
Thanks for your input.

The Counselor
01-31-2011, 21:10
I am lucky. Carto-Craft Maps is right here in Birmingham. Old-fashioned, family business makes and sells the finest, most detailed maps around. Of everywhere. Tons of trail maps, wilderness areas and the like, alongside more conventional maps. Topos, historical maps, you name it. I bought a map of the Sipsey Wilderness and William Clark's map of the Corps of Discovery's trek in 1803. USGS maps abound. And the proprietor is fantastic and salt of the earth. They will make an accurate map for you with what you want on it. Caters to everybody from developers to hikers. Google 'em.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-31-2011, 21:36
Ok, at the advice of Jersey Dave, I just went back and re-created the same map at the same scale with Lat/Long grid tick marks, measured it on the monitor as before and it was still off by 2 seconds but when I printed it, it measure perfect on paper. I held a piece of printer paper up to the monitor and the on screen map was slightly larger than the paper but it printed perfectly with the grids accurate.
Be sure to set it to print with NO scaling on the printer. I guess ity automatically scales down on the printer.
SOOO....to every one who reads this ....cancel what I said about my topo making inaccurate maps.
Guess I better call them tomorrow and cancel my refund request...
Moderators....feel free to remove this thread before it does damage to the reputation of my topo / map pass.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-31-2011, 21:40
I am lucky. Carto-Craft Maps is right here in Birmingham. Old-fashioned, family business makes and sells the finest, most detailed maps around. Of everywhere. Tons of trail maps, wilderness areas and the like, alongside more conventional maps. Topos, historical maps, you name it. I bought a map of the Sipsey Wilderness and William Clark's map of the Corps of Discovery's trek in 1803. USGS maps abound. And the proprietor is fantastic and salt of the earth. They will make an accurate map for you with what you want on it. Caters to everybody from developers to hikers. Google 'em.

Thanks Counselor.. I just re-created the same map and printed it and the lat ticks measured perfect on the printed map...