PDA

View Full Version : Single wall tent

PR Man
01-31-2011, 21:51
I really like my MSR Hubba tent - but I don't like fussing with setting up the tent and then having to set up the canopy.

Does anyon know of a single person / single wall tent that is ultra light?

I really like tarps - but with all the rain on the AT I like the idea of a floor to keep my sleeping bag dry. Plus - there is really little weight difference if you consider the need for a ground cloth.

Any and all thoughts are welcome !:welcome

sixguns01
01-31-2011, 21:55
I love the Gossamer Gear "The One" single wall tent. Never willing to give up the bug protection of a tent. It weighs 16oz if you use trekking poles. With seam seal and optional G.G. poles it comes in at 23oz. Full coverage and pretty easy to put up.

One problem- not that great if your 6 ft or taller. I'm 5'10 and fits great.

my 2 cents

bigcranky
01-31-2011, 21:55
Tarptent Moment.

Tarptent Contrail.

SMD Lunar Solo.

Lightheart tent.

wrongway_08
01-31-2011, 22:01
Tarp tent Contrail .... love that sucker! The new ones are even better then mine (A few years old). Easy set up, roomy and packs to about nothing. enough room for gear, dog and yourself.

aaronthebugbuffet
01-31-2011, 22:03
Would these require less "fussing" than the op's Hubba?

Camping Dave
01-31-2011, 22:12
If you're planning 4 season use get a warmlite (warmlite.com).

In warmer weather carry a tarp and 3.5-4' wide tyvek. Tape the tyvek corners so you can tub it.

swjohnsey
01-31-2011, 22:24
I set up my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 in about 5 minutes. Hubba is similar. How much "fuss" to you plan to eliminate.

PR Man
01-31-2011, 22:29
Thank you all.

I will continue to look for the Holy Grail !'

Tipi Walter
01-31-2011, 22:45
If you're planning 4 season use get a warmlite (warmlite.com).

In warmer weather carry a tarp and 3.5-4' wide tyvek. Tape the tyvek corners so you can tub it.

Once question with the Warmlite: With no real vestibule, how do you keep the rain and the snow out of the inner tent every time you unzip the door??

BrianLe
02-01-2011, 00:44
I have a Contrail and like it quite well, but I'm moving to a Lightheart Solo for this coming year --- given the O.P.'s comments about (a) fussing about setting up two layers, (b) ultralight, and (c) concerns about rain, I think the Lightheart Solo (optionally part or all in cuben if that's worth it to you) is a good choice. Assuming O.P. uses two trekking poles.

Big Dawg
02-01-2011, 11:59
Does anyon know of a single person / single wall tent that is ultra light?

Tarptent Moment! Can add a liner to make it double wall, to guard against condensation drip. Mine has the liner, and w/ everything, weighs about 2 1/4 lbs. Plus it has a relatively small footprint, but surprisingly spacious interior. I'm 6'5", upper 200's, and keep my pack inside the tent,, and feel comfortable.

Spokes
02-01-2011, 12:08
Know what you mean PR Man. I carried a Hubba HP on my last thru. Liked it but wanted something a little more nimble. Just bought a SMD Lunar Solo. Darn thing is roomier inside than the hubba and lighter to boot.

Check it out here (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_smd.tpl&product_id=38&category_id=7&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=110).

Cheers!

Camping Dave
02-01-2011, 14:47
Once question with the Warmlite: With no real vestibule, how do you keep the rain and the snow out of the inner tent every time you unzip the door??

I don't know whether you've seen one, but you can reach outside the tent at the bottom of the front door without unzipping and opening up to the elements. When snow gets in I brush it up and dump it out that opening. In rain, I set up facing downhill so any water entering stays in front and can drain. Excess water I wipe up and wring out. I'm allowed to carry a decent sized chamois since I'm not ultralight ;)

In any case, less water gets into a warmlite during entry/exit than gets into the typical mesh walled 3 season tent with detached fly while setting up in the rain.

cowpoke
02-01-2011, 15:32
I have the Double Rainbow...plenty of room...I'm 6'4" .....weighs about 2 1/2 lbs...packs small....talked to Henry and this was the one he recommended for me....was looking to buy the Moment but ended up with the Double Rainbow...love it!

LIhikers
02-01-2011, 19:20
The Tarptent Rainbow is one to consider.
It's listed at just under 2 lbs and I can tell you it's got plenty of room inside.
Plus, it's tall enough that I suspect anyone could sit up straight inside of it.