PDA

View Full Version : rig tent for using trekking poles ???

Crazy_Al
12-31-2004, 05:17
How do you rig a tent for using trekking poles ???

Grommet was designed for small easton poles.
My trekking pole ends are too fat to fit in grommet.

SGT Rock
12-31-2004, 07:50
Maybe you could make an adapter that has a smaller tip than your pole and fits over your current pole's tip.

Kerosene
12-31-2004, 12:20
Alternatively, you might be able to thread a loop of rope through the grommet, twist and create a second loop just big enough for the tip of your pole. Given the right angle of setup this might work.

Crazy_Al
01-01-2005, 12:01
You adjust your pole about 6" taller than the apex of the tarp / tent.
Then pull your guy line to the pole handle (if you want the point in the ground, or just above the scree/snow bale at the tip) and then wrap it around a few times, then around the line to keep it from slipping and then to the stake.
You can also use a girth hitch or clove hitch knot to secure it to the handle.

Peaks
01-01-2005, 12:31
Maybe you could make an adapter that has a smaller tip than your pole and fits over your current pole's tip.

try a zip tie pulled to the appropriate size

orangebug
01-01-2005, 13:36
On my Nomad tent, I have a PVC right angle, with a hole drilled in the corner. Thru that hole, a string is knotted and connects it to the top of the tent. When setting up the tent, the points go into the holes of the right angle and never get close to the fabric. Lengthen the poles to stretch out the tent and you are done.

I'm sure that other PVC joints would have some utility for other tents and tarps.

Crazy_Al
01-01-2005, 21:16
On my Nomad tent, I have a PVC right angle, with a hole drilled in the corner. Thru that hole, a string is knotted and connects it to the top of the tent. When setting up the tent, the points go into the holes of the right angle and never get close to the fabric. Lengthen the poles to stretch out the tent and you are done.

I'm sure that other PVC joints would have some utility for other tents and tarps.
I picture would be very hepful.

orangebug
01-01-2005, 22:14
Don't know that I can do that soon, given some travel plans in the immediate future - without the tent.

Picture the right angle PVC joint. Drill a hole through the outside bend, and thread that hole with a string and knot it so that the knot is inside the joint and a loose end of string protrudes. Tie that string to the top of your tent, leaving the joint to hang as an inverted "V".

Now, your trekking poles points go into the openings of the joint, extending the lines of the inverted "V" to the base of the tent. Lengthen the poles to make the tent as tight as you wish. The joint prevents any contact between the carbide tips and the tent. The handles of the poles are pressed into pockets at the sides of the tent, keeping them spread and the tent taunt.

The basic idea, is using something light and easy like PVC joints to dock the carbide tips. If you elected on a tarp design that uses the poles to keep 2 corners of a tent elevated, or to serve as the peaks for an A frame tent, this would still be an option, using a PVC end plug.

Does that help?

Crazy_Al
01-02-2005, 10:58
I will go to Lowe's or Home Depot, get 90 degree PVC joint and experiment.

Don't know that I can do that soon, given some travel plans in the immediate future - without the tent.

Picture the right angle PVC joint. Drill a hole through the outside bend, and thread that hole with a string and knot it so that the knot is inside the joint and a loose end of string protrudes. Tie that string to the top of your tent, leaving the joint to hang as an inverted "V".

Now, your trekking poles points go into the openings of the joint, extending the lines of the inverted "V" to the base of the tent. Lengthen the poles to make the tent as tight as you wish. The joint prevents any contact between the carbide tips and the tent. The handles of the poles are pressed into pockets at the sides of the tent, keeping them spread and the tent taunt.

The basic idea, is using something light and easy like PVC joints to dock the carbide tips. If you elected on a tarp design that uses the poles to keep 2 corners of a tent elevated, or to serve as the peaks for an A frame tent, this would still be an option, using a PVC end plug.

Does that help?

gopher
03-01-2005, 08:17
Tie the tent/tarp ropes to the tent with a loop. Put the pole tip thru the loop next to the grommet,tab, tie point etc. The mud guard or tip connector will stop the rope from slipping down.

Doctari
03-01-2005, 17:42
I picture would be very hepful.
Wanderlustgear.com used to have pictures of that detail. Wanderlust is the maker of the Nomad.

Even so, I think a pic of the outside of the tent should give you the idea.

Doctari.