PDA

View Full Version : Questions...

Boilface
02-01-2011, 00:50
I wish it was under better circumstance that I make my first post here, but life throws us a curveball sometimes. My wife of seven years just left me. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I may just walk the trail. It seems an impossible feat, to walk that far for that long, but I will have no reason to quit. I have no reason to go home, no one is waiting for me. I'm 37 years old, retired.

Here's my plan: start April 1st, pack ultralight, no cook, no mail drops. I am not expecting this to be easy, but the trail life so often alluded to on here appeals to me.

I have never spent a night in a tent, but have done plenty of hiking.

Here is some gear that I have that I hope will work on the AT, or plan on changing:

Packing
MLD Burn (will swap for custom ZPacks Zero pack, 2,600 cubic inches)
Various MLD cuben dry bags
MLD Pack Liner

Clothing
Montane Dynamic Stretch Pants
Nike Dry-fit running shorts
Under Armor Base 2.0 leggings
Solomon Speedcross 2 trailrunners (replaced NB MT100's, which have terrible grip on anything damp)
Patagonia R1 Hoody
Marmot Mica
PhD Smartwool socks x 2
Wildwood Trail Short Sleeved Top x 2 (I imagine these will be too cold to hike in, and the R1 too hot?)
Coghlans No-See-Um Headnet (do I need this?)

Sleeping
Thermarest Z-lite (may swap for Ridgerest, easier to attach to pack)
I have a custom cuben quilt made by Tim Marshall. It has a little over 1" of fill, so not warm enough for AT. It is silly light, at 8oz.
MLD UL groundsheet

I have other stuff not worth listing: watch, pack towel, first-aid/repair kit (about 100g), Petzl E-lite, etc.

In case you're interested, this gear has been dialed in over years of hiking in S.E. Asia and China. From the humid jungles of Thailand to the snow covered peaks of China.

My main concern right now is what tent to buy. Obviously something really light. Money is no object. I need protection from bugs, I don't think I could be comfortable under a tarp. What about a Cuben Lightheart?

Should I order another cuben quilt, or just go for something like a WM Summerlite?

So many questions, sorry. How much water to carry, 2L, 3L? (I will be using Aquamira, unless you recommend otherwise.)

Money: those of you coming from abroad (I will likely be traveling from England), do you carry all your cash with you?

What maps should I buy? I loath to carry all that weight though. What options do I have? I have a GPS, but hate the damn thing and it requires batteries.

Spokes
02-01-2011, 07:59
My main concern right now is what tent to buy. Obviously something really light. .........

So many questions, sorry. How much water to carry, 2L, 3L? (I will be using Aquamira, unless you recommend otherwise.)

Money: those of you coming from abroad (I will likely be traveling from England), do you carry all your cash with you?

What maps should I buy? I loath to carry all that weight though. What options do I have? I have a GPS, but hate the damn thing and it requires batteries.

Consider a Six Moon Design Lunar Solo. Can't help you with the Cuben stuff........

Most thru's carry water in a Gatorade bottle and then pack a 2 L Platypus for camp. You can add a hydration hose and bite valve too. AquaMira is a thru hiker standard. All the SteriPen stuff is hype IMHO.

Maps? You don't need no stinkin' maps for the AT. Buy a copy of AWOL's AT Guide (http://www.theatguide.com/). Tear out pages as you go or rip in half and mail ahead. Lot's of options to keep the weight down.

Money? You'll want to carry more cash in the Northeast section of the trail since most places don't accept plastic. You can usually get up to $50 at any Post Office using a debit card. Cash back at some grocery stores and the occasional ATM work too.

Leave the GPS, SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER, and any other whiz-bang technology that REI recommends at home too.

Here's a great 10 page article (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530) about hiking the AT. Just ignore the pop-up.

Have a great hike!

Cheers!

Cookerhiker
02-01-2011, 09:17
You've come to the right place. You'll get lots of good advice and support here.

... Maps? You don't need no stinkin' maps for the AT. Buy a copy of AWOL's AT Guide (http://www.theatguide.com/). Tear out pages as you go or rip in half and mail ahead. Lots of options to keep the weight down.

And you'll get some contradictory advice like now: I disagree about not bringing maps. Now it's true that I haven't thruhiked and Spokes has, so you can weigh that FWIW. But maps aren't heavy especially if you mail some ahead via bounce box or whatever. And maps are invaluable if an emergency or other circumstance forces you to detour off the AT onto a side trail or road; you'll see where you are and where to go (town, main road, etc.)

flemdawg1
02-01-2011, 09:37
I'd reccomend a Tarptent Contrail or if you really want cuben a Z-packs Hexamid.
Since you like quilts: a JRB Sierra Sniveler, or a Golte Ultralite 3-season quilt (I think they're still doing the 40% off coupon).

flemdawg1
02-01-2011, 09:37
I'll be heading out from AFSP March 31st, see ya out there.

Spokes
02-01-2011, 09:48
You've come to the right place. You'll get lots of good advice and support here.

And you'll get some contradictory advice like now: I disagree about not bringing maps. Now it's true that I haven't thruhiked and Spokes has, so you can weigh that FWIW. But maps aren't heavy especially if you mail some ahead via bounce box or whatever. And maps are invaluable if an emergency or other circumstance forces you to detour off the AT onto a side trail or road; you'll see where you are and where to go (town, main road, etc.)

Cookerhiker, you're right. Contradiction abounds when maps are the topic. I will say this- the AT is generally well blazed the entire way. You get to know real quick which clubs maintain and blaze their respective sections well. The only time I sorta wished I had maps was in Maine and New Hampshire for the side roads, side trails as you mentioned.

I did purchase an "official" AMC trail map of the Whites at the Lake of the Clouds hut. Proved to be the crappiest map ever. Glad I didn't have to rely on it if I had gotten lost while there.

Cheers!

Boilface
02-02-2011, 09:03
Thanks for the replies folks.

About the maps, can I get what I need from Neels Gap?

I've been looking at the Z-packs Hexamid, is the bug-net option a pain to setup?

For an April 1st start, is a 32degree bag adequate, if I sleep in leggings and perhaps the R1?

Will my UK ATM card work over there? I don't have a credit card. Is carrying, say, $10,000 a big no no?

Boilface
02-02-2011, 09:06
I'll be heading out from AFSP March 31st, see ya out there.

I hope you do, I need all the help I can get.

If you see a collapsed tent, it's probably me :)

ARambler
02-02-2011, 10:41
Yes, carrying 10 K cash is a big no-no. My ATM card has not failed in Great Britten since 1987, so yours should work here. There is a difference between a "debt" card and a cash advance on a "credit" card, but I cannot explain the difference. You will probably want a debit card with a pin number (password number). I think some cash is important in the south as well. To get the $50 from the post office you will need to mail somthing and they will need the cash on hand. (They can be low in the morening or can be wiped out by hikers in the afternoon.)

The psychological approach to the hike is a lot more important than most people think. I say, "only carry your pack" maybe you should try to make sure your problems are ultralight. Probably a clean break is better than leaving problems at home. Do as much planning as you can. You do not need additional stress on the trail.

I cannot imagine going to a strange country without maps, when half the natives carry them. This will require a bounce box to mail ahead the maps every 3 weeks or so. The post offices on the trail are good at holding them.

April 1 is a good start date, but you should be prepared for cold weather (especially cold rain) the first month plus.

Last summer, I used the Gossamer Gear The One. Cuban tents are generally special order and should be ordered well ahead of time. I have not done much research, but would look into the Lightheart tent.

Rambler

Cookerhiker
02-02-2011, 10:53
...There is a difference between a "debt" card and a cash advance on a "credit" card, but I cannot explain the difference. You will probably want a debit card with a pin number (password number). ....

Do not get cash advances on a credit card - big mistake! Interest at exhorbitant rates begins accruing immediately and you'll find yourself in a big hole.

Make sure you have the ability to pay credit cards on-line as well as managing your bank account.

flemdawg1
02-02-2011, 10:56

About the maps, can I get what I need from Neels Gap?

I've been looking at the Z-packs Hexamid, is the bug-net option a pain to setup?

For an April 1st start, is a 32degree bag adequate, if I sleep in leggings and perhaps the R1?

Will my UK ATM card work over there? I don't have a credit card. Is carrying, say, $10,000 a big no no?

I've never actually seen the Z-pack Hexamid in person, but according to the directions on the site, the bug netting appears to be permanently attached.

I'm probably bringing a 15 degree bag. There's a chance of temps in the teens-twenties and some snow until late May. A 32deg bag covered with your UL quilt may work though. I'd also bring some puffy insulation (jacket or vest).

A Visa debit card is your best bet, most banks in the states give one standard with their accounts (not sure if you can do this, if you're not a citizen (I don't think you've said if you are)). I'd investigate getting a pre-paid Visa debit before you come over (like a gift card). Definately don't reccomend taking that much in cash w/ you. First, it'll raise suspiscion with Customs (they'll think you're a drug courier, terrorist financier or something). Next there's the issue of having it stolen (w/ a card you contact Visa, they'll cancel the old one and ship you a new one).

Shutterbug
02-02-2011, 11:43
I wish it was under better circumstance that I make my first post here, but life throws us a curveball sometimes. My wife of seven years just left me. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I may just walk the trail. It seems an impossible feat, to walk that far for that long, but I will have no reason to quit. I have no reason to go home, no one is waiting for me. I'm 37 years old, retired.

Here's my plan: start April 1st, pack ultralight, no cook, no mail drops. I am not expecting this to be easy, but the trail life so often alluded to on here appeals to me.

I have never spent a night in a tent, but have done plenty of hiking.

Here is some gear that I have that I hope will work on the AT, or plan on changing:

Packing
MLD Burn (will swap for custom ZPacks Zero pack, 2,600 cubic inches)
MLD Pack Liner

Clothing
Solomon Speedcross 2 trailrunners (replaced NB MT100's, which have terrible grip on anything damp)
Patagonia R1 Hoody
Marmot Mica
PhD Smartwool socks x 2
Wildwood Trail Short Sleeved Top x 2 (I imagine these will be too cold to hike in, and the R1 too hot?)
Coghlans No-See-Um Headnet (do I need this?)

Sleeping
I have a custom cuben quilt made by Tim Marshall. It has a little over 1" of fill, so not warm enough for AT. It is silly light, at 8oz.
MLD UL groundsheet

I have other stuff not worth listing: watch, pack towel, first-aid/repair kit (about 100g), Petzl E-lite, etc.

In case you're interested, this gear has been dialed in over years of hiking in S.E. Asia and China. From the humid jungles of Thailand to the snow covered peaks of China.

My main concern right now is what tent to buy. Obviously something really light. Money is no object. I need protection from bugs, I don't think I could be comfortable under a tarp. What about a Cuben Lightheart?

Should I order another cuben quilt, or just go for something like a WM Summerlite?

I wouldn't carry a lot of cash. If I did, I wouldn't advertise that I was carrying it. If you don't want to maintain a bank account, consider traveler's checks.

You won't need the GPS. The AT is well marked.

swjohnsey
02-02-2011, 12:17
I wouldn't carry a lot of cash. If I did, I wouldn't advertise that I was carrying it. If you don't want to maintain a bank account, consider traveler's checks.

You won't need the GPS. The AT is well marked.

I wouldn't take traveler's checks, very hard to cash these days.

Trailbender
02-02-2011, 12:37
Money? You'll want to carry more cash in the Northeast section of the trail since most places don't accept plastic. You can usually get up to $50 at any Post Office using a debit card. Cash back at some grocery stores and the occasional ATM work too.

I ran into one place in Unionville, NY and one in Maine that did not take cards. The woman at the register said "We don't take cards", I looked at her for a second and replied, "Do you still bang two rocks together to start a fire?" I mean, it is 2011, and there are still places that don't take cards? Cash is bulky and obsolete. There was a hostel in Maine that had a small card machine, there is no excuse for a business not taking one. I would say a store that doesn't take a card lost about 30% of their business right there. My thru was the only time I carried cash in years.

Ladytrekker
02-02-2011, 12:41
I cannot think of a better way for you to clear your head.

Sickmont
02-02-2011, 12:59
I ran into one place in Unionville, NY and one in Maine that did not take cards. The woman at the register said "We don't take cards", I looked at her for a second and replied, "Do you still bang two rocks together to start a fire?" I mean, it is 2011, and there are still places that don't take cards? Cash is bulky and obsolete. There was a hostel in Maine that had a small card machine, there is no excuse for a business not taking one. I would say a store that doesn't take a card lost about 30% of their business right there. My thru was the only time I carried cash in years.

So why should a business be forced to pay such exorbant fees to the credit card companies for the use and rental of the machines, and for the processing of such transactions just because YOU decided it was too difficult to carry some cash? And dont even begin to tell me there aren't ever any power outages along the trail at all either. I know storms are prevalent up and down the east coast too.

Big Dawg
02-02-2011, 14:30
So why should a business be forced to pay such exorbant fees to the credit card companies for the use and rental of the machines, and for the processing of such transactions just because YOU decided it was too difficult to carry some cash? And dont even begin to tell me there aren't ever any power outages along the trail at all either. I know storms are prevalent up and down the east coast too.

They're not forced,,, just makes good business sense to take visa/mc these days b/c a lot of people don't carry much, if any cash. A business could potentially lose 25 to 35% business by not taking cards. If they don't mind that loss, then they can keep taking cash only. It's up to them.

Sickmont
02-02-2011, 15:14
They're not forced,,, just makes good business sense to take visa/mc these days b/c a lot of people don't carry much, if any cash. A business could potentially lose 25 to 35% business by not taking cards. If they don't mind that loss, then they can keep taking cash only. It's up to them.

Youre 100% right. Sorry, i got a bit wound up when i read that whole "bang rocks together to start a fire" comment. But, i know that a lot of small businesses would prefer to lose a few customers than put up with the credit card companies and the ridiculous fees they charge. I know a ton of them around here do. The ones that do take cards try to force a customer to make a minimum charge amount however.

brian2o0o
02-02-2011, 15:34
I have a MLD burn and find it to have plenty of room for a weekend or maybe even a week. For a thru hike you will probably want to go with a little more capacity, maybe the mld exodus or prohpet.

Spokes
02-02-2011, 16:01

LMAO

So true. Reminds me of two things my Dad told me years ago......

1- "Those Japanese cars will never take off here in America, mark my words"

and

2- "Who the heck is going to buy bottled water?"

Spokes
02-02-2011, 16:05
So why should a business be forced to pay such exorbant fees to the credit card companies for the use and rental of the machines, and for the processing of such transactions just because YOU decided it was too difficult to carry some cash? .......

I saw a sign once on my local bankers desk that read-

"Never turn down money"

Funny how some businesses just don't get it especially in this economy.

Sickmont
02-02-2011, 16:13
I saw a sign once on my local bankers desk that read-

"Never turn down money"

Funny how some businesses just don't get it especially in this economy.

It apparently takes money to make money for the most part. A lot of small start ups cant afford the cost of the card reader rental and the subscription required to take cards.

pyroman53
02-02-2011, 16:53
Back to the op...Summerlite might be a little too lite (pun intended) for April 1, where the SE can get cold temps, way below what I would use my Summerlite for.

Trailbender
02-02-2011, 17:39

I have had several businesses say they don't take cards, I generally just walk out.

Walkintom
02-02-2011, 20:57
Taking a card is incredibly easy and cheap.

The real cost a business should try to avoid is the missed sale. If a business does not choose to accept the payment I am offering, I politely point out that accepting the payment is a condition of getting my business. But if they don't want it, then I either pay with cash if I want the item badly enough or don't buy.

One thing I never forget when dealing with my own customers and that these sort of businesses should remember is that you have to take care of the customer - or someone else will.

LDog
02-02-2011, 21:28
Contradiction abounds when maps are the topic.

Besides the argument that it'll get you off the trail to help when you need it, or the combine wisdom of the Mountaineers who list it as an "essential," A map will also allow one to look across the range from a summit and identify the other peaks, little hamlets in the valleys, rivers, lakes ...

'Course if your goal is to blast up the trail, stopping to get a sense of place might not be practical. :D

wrongway_08
02-02-2011, 22:05
Credit card machines are not cheap, there are fees after fees after fees. Every time you touch the damn thing, it cost money .... to sell, to return money, to get extra machines, to upgrade, depending on contract, if you don't use it enough, if you use it too much ...... it gets a bit much and I can see why some just say - cash only.

Depends on what machine company you use of course.

Skyline
02-02-2011, 22:18
A few banks and credit card processors now have a system for businesses to take credit cards WITHOUT the expense of a credit card terminal. Some let the business use a touchtone phone to transmit charges and credits, as well as verify certain info for security purposes. There are also ways to do this on the internet without a card terminal.

This is a great system for those who take credit cards "on the road," like shuttle services and taxicabs. Also retailers and service providers who travel to the client instead of the client travelling to them.

Percentage rates are comparable to other credit card systems; start-up costs and monthly recurring charges are often lower.

The reasons for businesses to not take credit cards have gotten fewer.

swjohnsey
02-02-2011, 22:58
Lots of business in small towns, particularly restaraunts, don't take plastic.

flemdawg1
02-02-2011, 23:00

Here's my plan: start April 1st, pack ultralight, no cook, (not crazy about not cooking, food is too important to me,) no mail drops. I am not expecting this to be easy, but the trail life so often alluded to on here appeals to me.

I have never spent a night in a tent, but have done plenty of hiking. Please explain: day hiking, hut-to-hut?

Packing
MLD Burn (will swap for custom ZPacks Zero pack, 2,600 cubic inches) Seems small, how about a ULA Circuit, GG MAriposa, or MLD Exodus
MLD Pack Liner

Clothing
Patagonia R1 Hoody
Marmot Mica add a rain skirt or rainpants
PhD Smartwool socks x 2
Wildwood Trail Short Sleeved Top x 2 (I imagine these will be too cold to hike in, and the R1 too hot?) 1 ss top
Coghlans No-See-Um Headnet (do I need this?) Won't need for about 2 months, buy it then.
hat/baclava, gloves, some kind of insulated jacket/fleece

Sleeping
MLD UL groundsheet

So many questions, sorry. How much water to carry, 2L, 3L? (I will be using Aquamira, unless you recommend otherwise.) I carry 3l (a 2l bladder and a Nalgene for sports drink + a 4l bladder for camp.

What maps should I buy? I loath to carry all that weight though. What options do I have? I have a GPS, but hate the damn thing and it requires batteries. leave it Buy maps as you go. Get GA and NC at neels gap or on the way to Springer. Buy GSMNP and TN at NOC, Nolichucky river to Damauscus in Erwin, etc.

Are you sure you should try ultralight-ing the first time out backpacking?
I mean there is a bit of a learning curve to it.

If I had my choice of WM bags for a thru it would be the Ultralite. I might also recommend a thicker sleeping pad like a Neo-Air.

Spokes
02-03-2011, 02:29
Besides the argument that it'll get you off the trail to help when you need it, or the combine wisdom of the Mountaineers who list it as an "essential," A map will also allow one to look across the range from a summit and identify the other peaks, little hamlets in the valleys, rivers, lakes ...

'Course if your goal is to blast up the trail, stopping to get a sense of place might not be practical. :D

In a pinch, a map can be used as a fire starter or toilet paper. Each is "essential" depending on the moment.

Cheers!

BobTheBuilder
02-03-2011, 06:49
By some coincidence, I'm passing through Bangkok next Wednesday evening on my way home from Bangladesh to New Orleans. If you want to have a beer and talk AT, send me a PM.

TheChop
02-03-2011, 07:03
Credit card machines are not cheap, there are fees after fees after fees.

Credit card machines are ridiculously cheap. It's surprising to learn that Verifone doesn't send them out like AOL CDs. You can get a used Tranz 330 with printer for like $40. I just sold my old set on e-bay for $20 plus shipping.

Anyway back to the original post. If you're talking about carrying 10K, retired at 37 and toting cuben fiber toilet paper I think you can overcome a lot of logistical problems using sheer weight of money. Go talk to your banker about using the cards in America.

As far as hiking because someone up and left you I don't know what to tell you there. At the end of the day six months of walking is a hell of a thing. You might get 100 miles in and decide you got what you came for. You might make it to Katahdin.

LDog
02-03-2011, 07:10
In a pinch, a map can be used as a fire starter or toilet paper. Each is "essential" depending on the moment.

Waterproof maps don't work well for the latter. Don't ask me how I know ...

flemdawg1
02-03-2011, 09:07

OK one last bit of advice, then I'm shutting up.

Your marriage IS NOT OVER! You're hurt, scared, maybe even pissed off. Things might seem hopeless, but until the legal part is finished there is still hope. See if your wife will go to marriage counseling with you. And if not, you go anyway. If you still love her, fight for her. You know she's worth it!

Stubborn perseverance has other uses outside of walking in the mountains.

chief
02-03-2011, 18:33
OK one last bit of advice, then I'm shutting up.

Your marriage IS NOT OVER! You're hurt, scared, maybe even pissed off. Things might seem hopeless, but until the legal part is finished there is still hope. See if your wife will go to marriage counseling with you. And if not, you go anyway. If you still love her, fight for her. You know she's worth it!

Stubborn perseverance has other uses outside of walking in the mountains.
His marriage IS OVER! He might get her back by doing as you suggest, but he will forever be her "Bee-otch". What he needs to do now is man up, go out and get laid, repeatedly. Bangkok is particularly well suited for that.

Luddite
02-03-2011, 18:43
Bangkok is particularly well suited for that.

The last thing that city needs is more pedophiles.

sir limpsalot
02-03-2011, 19:58

$10,000 should be fine. what's your start date?

chief
02-03-2011, 20:11
Huh, is that the first thing that popped into your mind?

Boilface
02-04-2011, 00:46
A Visa debit card is your best bet

I have a UK visa debit card with pin number. Will that work over in the States?

I cannot think of a better way for you to clear your head.

My thought exactly... I don't know what else to do.

I have never spent a night in a tent, but have done plenty of hiking. Please explain: day hiking, hut-to-hut?

Mainly day-hiking. I did walk the Great Wall of China around Beijing for a month, staying at small villages or farmers homes along the way. I did 150 miles like that. If you know Great Wall terrain, you'll understand why.

Are you sure you should try ultralight-ing the first time out backpacking?
I mean there is a bit of a learning curve to it.

I'm aware of that, but my hiking enjoyment is dependant on the weight of my pack. The whole thing will be a learning experience for me. I WANT to be out of my comfort zone.

As far as hiking because someone up and left you I don't know what to tell you there. At the end of the day six months of walking is a hell of a thing. You might get 100 miles in and decide you got what you came for. You might make it to Katahdin.

I like this. Well, I've been reading these forums for about a year. Doing the AT was not an option for me while I had a wife. My desire to hike the AT came before my marrital problems.

She wants kids, I don't. I want to travel the world, she doesn't. That's about as irreconcilable as you can get.

Come on! I've lived in Bangkok for nearly 12 years, and I've never encountered a pedophile, nor any of the children that are supposedly so easy to acquire here. It exists, of course, as is does elsewhere in the world.

Boilface
02-04-2011, 00:57
Ok, so is the common consensus my Mica and the R1 Hoody will not be warm enough? Can someone recommend a jacket?

I will order the Hexamid, and talk to Tim Marshall about a Cuben quilt suitable for the AT.

I already ordered "The A.T. Guide". Maps and what not I will decide at Neels Gap (if I make it that far!)

I sincerely thank all who responded.

Speakeasy TN
02-06-2011, 21:56
As a guy whose been thru several divorces, let's hike! Heading out 3-20