PDA

View Full Version : Big Snow!!

Yukon
02-01-2011, 08:27
BIG snowstorm heading into the northeast for the next 48 hours, looking at 30" or so in my area :D. This has been an epic winter in upstate NY!

DLANOIE
02-01-2011, 08:32
Yup, hold on to your hats boys and girls. We're in for a whopper!

tawa
02-01-2011, 08:40
Time to bunker down--depending where your at on the trail u are going to experience freezing rain, sleet, heavy rain and thunderstorms, sustained high winds at higher elevations and heavy snows with blizzard conditions at time!
As they say---The weather is what the weather is---adapt and adjust!
I imagine blow downs will be a major problem after this one.

Yukon
02-01-2011, 08:46
I believe they are closing our office for tomorrow. Regardless, I will be staying home and watching the snow fall and clearing the driveway with the snowblower :)

I can't wait to get out and snowshoe after this one. It has been awesome so far this year but the woods are going to be just beautiful after this doozy of a storm!!

peakbagger
02-01-2011, 08:55
Strangely enough despite the weather station reports, northern NH has only had an average winter so far. I was out on the AT this weekend on Mt Moriah near Gorham and the blazes were still visible above the snow by a couple of feet. During many winters, the blazes end up under the snow and route finding in the spruce/fir areas gets real interesting.

We did have one good snow dumping after Christmas but most of the other storms stayed south of the mountains. It looks like the storm on Wednesday will give us some fresh stuff to play with. At least there is enough snow and ice for the dogsled crowd to get out and play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cu38dDNZeQ

double d
02-01-2011, 09:00
Hang tough, maybe get in some miles during the snow storm???

nitewalker
02-01-2011, 09:27
we had our shot last week. 22" from the 1st big one and 18" from the 2nd one a week later. 40" inches in 8 days here in east killingly and we are supposed to get 8" to 10" today and another 6" or so tomorrow unless the track is further inland bringing a sloppy mix...here are some pics shoveling out 3 days after the storm. these are on top of my camper and deck along with the main rd leading into the campground..

nitewalker
02-01-2011, 09:31
i just watched the weather report and we are going to get less than i thought. maybe 7" today and 4" tomorrow...

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2011, 10:05
Any of you'll have problems with your power company this year, especially those in the D.C. area that are served by PEPCO. Just curious since I just read this article. One interesting comment in the comment section was that PEPCO suffers from Political Correctness in their hiring practice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/31/AR2011013105626.html?wpisrc=nl_opinions

After 'thundersnow,' broken promises from Pepco

Monday, January 31, 2011; 8:07 PM

PEPCO OFFICIALS say they understand the frustration of people who were without power as a result of last's week's winter storm. They said their crews worked as hard as they could to restore service but that it's important for people to have reasonable expectations. Okay, here's one: How about performing at the same level of competence and reliability as other utilities do?

We tried to give Pepco the benefit of the doubt in the aftermath of Wednesday's storm (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/26/AR2011012608076.html) that knocked out power to 210,000 of its customers in the District and Maryland. Pepco couldn't control the heavy snow that brought down trees and power lines. Neighboring jurisdictions serviced by Baltimore Gas and Electric and Dominion Virginia also experienced outages. Many Pepco employees put in long, cold hours under difficult circumstances to get power back on.

But Pepco also issued a series of promises about when service would be restored, and it did not keep them. Alone among utilities it seemed unable to provide useful information to many customers. Most troubling, as The Post's Mary Pat Flaherty reported (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/27/AR2011012707658.html), Pepco was less active than other utilities in preparing for the storm, with the result that it had fewer crews on hand to deal immediately with the extent of its problems. Pepco officials dispute that report; they say they started to line up extra help on Tuesday and that the late start in undertaking repairs was due to the unusual road and traffic conditions.

What can't be denied is that Pepco did a poorer a job in restoring power than other affected utilities. As Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) wrote in an angry letter (http://www.governor.maryland.gov/documents/112901Pepcoletter.pdf) to Pepco Chairman Joseph Rigby, as of Saturday BG&E had restored service to 98 percent of its customers, compared with Pepco's 80 percent. When we asked Pepco President Thomas Graham about the utility's performance in comparison to others, he said "it's not a race to do work" and that other considerations, such as safety, come into play.

Pepco service, as a Post investigation (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/04/AR2010120403721.html) last year found, has been on the decline for five years, with its day-to-day reliability ranking at or near the bottom of the utility industry. It has embarked on a five-year reliability improvement plan and Mr. Graham told us that things would have been worse if not for some of the efforts already undertaken. We think Mr. O'Malley is right to ask the Public Service Commission to conduct an immediate hearing into the issues arising from the recent storm. He's also right to back legislation requiring enhanced reliability standards that would allow utilities to be fined for poor performance, with payment directed back to consumers.

gillbilly
02-01-2011, 14:05
going to get 24+ inches from these two storms.....hiking in the silence of the snow is priceless. put the pack on and put in some silent miles....YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!
ready for march 1st