PDA

View Full Version : How do you dry out your platypus/bladder and filter post-trip?

The Counselor
02-01-2011, 09:39
Inquiring newbie minds want to know. While you're at it, what else do you do to clean/prep them for storage until next use?

swjohnsey
02-01-2011, 09:48
I wash it out occassionally with a water/bleach solution.

Spokes
02-01-2011, 09:50
Wash it out in a water/bleach solution like swjohnsey, rinse well, then let it drip dry propped upside down on a dishwasher rack peg. Do the same thing with the hydration tube and bite valve but hang it over a shower head to drain and dry.

Works like a charm.

Sickmont
02-01-2011, 09:51
I dont have a platypus but i do have a Sette 100oz hydration pack i use for mountain biking. I made a little rig to hang up and expand the bladder out of a coat hanger, and i hang it cap off upsidedown over the sink. I also use Camelbak's cleaning tablets and plenty of soap and water to wash it out. Hopefully that'll help you out. Cheers!

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2011, 09:58
Just the other day I noticed that my platypus hose has a greenish-blue tint. As I was admiring the cool color and wondering how they did it, I started to wonder why I never noticed it before. I took a better look in the light and saw that it wasn't a designed feature of the tube, since it came off with a q-tip:o. Probably should clean it:D I usually just air it out, but I've been using it so much lately for my runs that I got lazy with the cleaning thing.

JaxHiker
02-01-2011, 10:41
I was at Gander Mtn and they had the Camelbak cleaning kit on clearance for $10 so I bought it. It has a hanger to hang it upside down, a big brush for the reservoir, and a small brush on a long wire handle for the tube.

I also only drink water out of it. No Gatorade or flavoring stuff to gum it up. Ok, I have started using the Camelbak elixir since it doesn't have sugar in it and won't cause problems.

kayak karl
02-01-2011, 10:47
i follow the directions that come with me gear. works great.

The Counselor
02-01-2011, 10:57
That's nice KK. Others might have come up with other good ways. But you already knew that.

Tabasco
02-01-2011, 11:10
I rinse it thoroughly, then stuff a rolled up clean dry wash cloth inside it. Absorbs water, keeps it open so air can circulate and dry inside corners and edges etc.

mattack
02-01-2011, 11:16
I rinse mine out thoroughly with a bit of bleach, then get as much water out as possible. Then, I roll it up and stick it in the freezer until next time! No need to get it dry (which is nearly impossible) and freezing it keeps anything from growing inside while it's stored.

Hobbler
02-01-2011, 11:25
I use a platy big zip and platy self-standing bottle with a sawyer filter. I fill a bleach/water solution in the bags and with the hose attached and the filter turned around to reverse flow, shake bags well and drain solution through the hose.

Then shake/rinse bags, hoses and filter with clear water.

I then remove hoses and place paper towel in bags to keep them open and clip both bags and hoses with open end up on the clothes line in the sun.

Dries quickly and all water escapes through the opening as evaporation takes place.

Roll up and store!...Hope that this helps!

kayak karl
02-01-2011, 11:26
Inquiring newbie minds want to know. While you're at it, what else do you do to clean/prep them for storage until next use?
the platypus is easy and there are diff ways, but FILTERS are different. check with manufactures directions. hate to see someone void their warranty or damage with chemicals.

HeartFire
02-01-2011, 14:27
freezer - I only put water in it, so I don't even bother to clean it. Just pop it in the freezer. I do have the platy cleaning kit, and it does occasionally get scrubbed, just not every time I use it.

sixguns01
02-01-2011, 14:34

Big mouth bladders. I use the cardboard roll from my paper towels and jam it in. Holds open entire bladder and allows air to circulate for air drying.

Small mouth bladders. Freezing method as stated before. Also, I blow into it, which does create some moisture build up, then place in a warm dry place. Kitchen or even the window. Don't leave in the sun too long though

SassyWindsor
02-01-2011, 22:40
I swish 90% alcohol in the bladder/tube, disinfects and evaporates/drys very quickly.

Pioneer Spirit
02-01-2011, 23:30
Bleach and water and then I use a modified bent coat hanger that holds the bladder open.

Ol Mole
02-02-2011, 05:49
After cleaning it, I use a small aquirium pump (WalMart $7) to dry it. The pump comes with a 3 to 4 ft tube, just hook it up and give it about 4 hrs and it is dry. I suffer from the things that grow in in tubes, bladders and water bottles, so this has been a great addtion to my gear maintenance.

Happy trails.