PDA

View Full Version : How do Snowbird and Max Patch rate versus other AT mts?

The Counselor
02-01-2011, 09:59
With regard to elevation, climb, trail condition, views? NOBO.

Pedaling Fool
02-01-2011, 10:06
They're just hills, especially Max Patch.

fredmugs
02-01-2011, 11:08
Awesome 360 degree views from Max Patch.

beaudetious
02-01-2011, 11:12
Snowbird has a somewhat noisy building on top that is a bit obnoxious. The views of the Smokies are nice though. Max Patch has really nice 360 views but the problem (for me) was the crowds. Lots of folks up there throwing frisbees, walking dogs, shouting... definitely a bummer after the hike up.

Both trials up were nice and the elevation gain was worth it for the views. I like Big Bald (further north) because there's less public access, virtually never a crowd and nice 360 views (in good weather).

Rain Man
02-01-2011, 12:18
With regard to elevation, climb, trail condition, views? NOBO.

Snowbird is definitely the harder climb, though to be honest my wife and I climbed it after a heavy snow, ironically enough. The laurel and rhododendron were pressed down onto the trail, so it was tough going. It was bitter cold on top. I don't remember much in the way of views.

Max Patch was hardly a climb at all, but the trail was very poorly marked, and as there was deep snow over the trail, we totally lost the trail on some steps on the way up and just had to go where we thought it might be. Not good. The views on top were awesome, especially looking back at the Great Smokies rising above all mountains around them. The wind was wicked up there.

Rain:sunMan

Yahtzee
02-01-2011, 12:37
Max Patch just kinda sneaks up on you. Not a real climb.

Snowbird, although never steep, seems neverending.

SassyWindsor
02-02-2011, 12:39
Can't be compared to the White Mountains.

Cookerhiker
02-02-2011, 13:57
... I like Big Bald (further north) because there's less public access, virtually never a crowd and nice 360 views (in good weather).

+1 on Big Bald. Also liked Beauty Spot for views from a bald, followed by the ascent up Unaka Mountain which has no views but terrific Spring wildflowers and fragrant balsam firs.

sherrill
02-02-2011, 15:02
I like Big Bald (further north) because there's less public access, virtually never a crowd and nice 360 views (in good weather).

I agree, to an extent. Big Bald has Wolf Laurel plastered on the side.

Both have roads to the top, but at least for now, Max Patch is still surrounded by relatively undeveloped land. My wife and I looked at some property that had a view of MP.