PDA

View Full Version : HELP WANTED: Sunnybank Inn (Elmer's) Hot Springs, NC

gardenhead
02-01-2011, 11:49
Sunnybank Inn
Hot Springs, NC

Looking for 1-2 people to work this spring for the northbound hiker season. Minimum two month commitment (mid March-mid May), but may have work available for a longer period. Peferably someone who is involved in the long distance hiker community. Prior experience cooking and gardening is a plus.

Basically the way this place functions, staff people receive room and board with all meals provided and a modest weekly stipend.
Elmer was pretty reluctant to post an ad on the internet, but spring's on the way and most of the folk we had lined up have made other commitments.

BTW, I am on staff here, and have been here since the fall of '09, so feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

For more information you can call the Inn at 828-622-7206
or you can send ME an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks

Diatribe
02-01-2011, 11:54
that sounds like fun; too bad i've got to finish the semester...

Pete Moss
02-01-2011, 12:12
Matthewski where are you on this one???

The Weasel
02-01-2011, 13:25
Anyone who has stayed at Elmer's will agree with me that this is an incredible opportunity, and, to be crass, one of the best internships for philosophy or business management or gardening possible: There is more to be learned at his dinner table than in most senior-level seminars.

It would also be an interesting way to learn to wash dishes.

TW

mweinstone
02-01-2011, 13:39
the thing is, i love elmer, i love his house and im an exspert above ground concentric ring gardener with skills at composting , fencebuilding, coldframes, greenhouse and indoor forced veggi growing in closets. i cook brownrice and vegies at a world class level and was macro for 25 years. but........elmers sure im a weirdo cause ive acted strangely at his house on multipul occations. example: the fun game miss janet and elmer play at the dinner table where he asks a question and you go around the table answering,......well the question waswho would you have write your autobiography. my answer was," whats biography mean again?" gets weird looks.hes sure im nuts. but yes that would be a dream job. but i know my place and its with freaks, not norms.lol.

stonedflea
02-01-2011, 14:00
shot you an email :)

Land_Shark
02-01-2011, 18:04
Land shark on the move. I will stop and share some coffee and blueberry. See u later.

gardenhead
02-27-2011, 16:16
The staff position has been filled.

WingedMonkey
02-28-2011, 01:34
i know my place and its with freaks, not norms.lol.

It's not YOU being a freak that's a problem, it's all them damn norms you seem to attract. :sun

CivilAir Rugger
02-28-2011, 01:44
Man I wish I could have gotten in on that deal. My current job involves being in the kitchen and my previous with gardens. I'll have to be sure to drop by this summer.

fredmugs
02-28-2011, 09:35
Anyone who has stayed at Elmer's will agree with me that this is an incredible opportunity, and, to be crass, one of the best internships for philosophy or business management or gardening possible: There is more to be learned at his dinner table than in most senior-level seminars.

It would also be an interesting way to learn to wash dishes.

TW

Regardless of your views it is an experience not to pass up. When I heard that some of my dinner companions were from Alaska I began extolling the awesomeness of one Sarah Palin. I lively discussion ensued. Poking sticks at ideologues is so much fun.

Erin
02-28-2011, 23:51
I wish I was retired. And I don't mind washing dishes and I love to garden. I loved my experience at Elmer's. Maybe in 2017........