PDA

View Full Version : Soup packets

flemdawg1
02-01-2011, 13:52
I've been looking at the Bear Creek style soup mixes for my upcoming section hike. Anybody have any reccomendations on the flavors? How did you divide it up (typical pack makes 8 cups)? Any reccomended addons?

Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Bear-Creek-Country-Kitchens-Creamy/dp/B000H27NWO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296582581&sr=8-2

nox
02-01-2011, 13:58
the cheddar broccoli is pretty good, add a small can of chicken.. yummy, i divided one pouch into 3rds and it was 3 decent sized meals with the chicken..

Hikes in Rain
02-01-2011, 15:00
I haven't had a bad Bear Creek soup. I do have a couple of minor complaints, such as the amount of time to cook for some of them, and those aren't really Navy beans in the Navy Bean Soup, they're Great Northerns (which could use some spicing up), but really, that's all pretty trivial for good soup. Probably the best way to divide it is to pour it in a bowl and mix, instead of just pouring it into baggies. That way, you're sure the ingredients are uniformly distributed.

grayfox
02-02-2011, 00:16
I like the Bear Creek soups and also there are a few other bands here that I use. My favorite is the 'Darn Good Chilli'. I try to stay away from the ones with the most salt.

When I find something new, I usually start by preparing it at home according to the directions given. Then if I like it, I experiment a bit with adding my favorite dry veggies and spices. I make notes sometimes so I won't forget things like whether the water added was enough and what might go well with the mix.

When I bag divided portions, I use a strainer to seperate the spice/sauce mix. Then I can measure an equal amount into each bag. If a mix seems too salty I leave out some of the powder or add some minute rice of an ingredient that stretches out the portions and the saltiness but cooks with the same speed as the original mix.