PDA

View Full Version : winter hiking

Saffirre8
02-01-2011, 15:00
So i am going to attempt my 1st winter backpacking trip. I never had backpacked in the winter, ONLY spring - fall.
I am a sweater even in the winter, maybe because i over dress for cold days, to much polartec, idk.
My question is what is the best way to dry my wet cloths so i can wear them the next day. I always take a fresh set of DRY cloths to change into when i get to camp so i dont freeze at night. :-?
What do you do to dry your cloths at camp in the winter. Im sure you dont hang them to dry (like summer) or they would be cold and frozen in the AM.
Any suggestions?

1azarus
02-01-2011, 15:21
the only source of heat to dry your wet clothes is your body heat. the best way to arrive at your camp site is with dry clothes, so wearing little enough to keep from sweating is the goal, even it it means slowing your pace before you reach camp -- but, i know, sweat you will. the only solution i have is to keep your wet clothes on when you get to camp -- add permeable dry warm clothes on top to keep warm -- and let your body heat dry the clothes. if your socks are wet, you can put them under your shirt to let them dry -- and they will be dry by morning, no matter how wet they were. this approach will work through a breathable jacket like frogg toggs, by the way. you may even find that you just keep all of your clothes on at night, instead of having dedicated walking and camping clothes. enjoy your winter hike!!!

Namaste
02-01-2011, 15:29
When I get to camp I put on dry clothes. At night I lay out anything that needs to dry under my sleeping bag and on top of my sleeping pad (sandwich the shirt/underskins, pants, whatever). I stick socks and small items inside at the bottom of my sleeping bag. This method has always worked for me.

Tipi Walter
02-01-2011, 15:46
The main thing in the winter is to not hike in too many layers---minimal layers---so as to never sweat out your clothing. This can be done fairly well using and expecting certain items to get damp and stay damp, but which pose no problem in a cold camp.

Here is where a rain jacket comes in handy, as you can wear it over your baselayer t-shirt and polypro/merino midlayers to keep warmth in while hiking, and stopping to remove midlayers before they get moist, and then just backpacking in a very light baselayer under the rain jacket.

The main problem most people have is starting out in the morning in too many layers, or refusing to stop 15 minutes down the trail to remove layers and prevent sweat wetting. You can leave your winter camp in full layers if you want, just to keep that in-camp warmth, but ya gotta dump the pack as soon as you start getting hot.

In the morning? Well, put on your yesterday's damp socks and damp t-shirt/baselayer and possibly damp longjohn bottoms with shorts and have at it. It's dang cold but with the rain jacket you can start moving and voila---you get warm fast.

Gotta keep the hands and head warm, of course, so if your gloves are soaked from the day before, well, either put them on or go to your dry second pair. Cold feet? You can't carry a pair of socks for every day of the trip so the damp ones must be worn(and if they are frozen stiff you can thaw them in your bag before shoving off), while keeping your dry pair dry NO MATTER WHAT.

Brass Rat
02-01-2011, 16:52
Don't forget to loosen the laces and spread open the tops of your wet boots, so if they're frozen the next AM you can still get them on. On my last winter outing I had to put my frozen boots on my feet (lacing them as best I could) and walk a couple of miles to thaw them out.

Snowleopard
02-01-2011, 17:02
Put a lot of thought into keeping things dry. As Tipi Walter says, don't hike in too many layers. You have to learn how to add and subtract layers so you don't sweat. While you're hiking you won't need to wear much to be warm; too much and you'll sweat. When you stop, you must add layers so you don't get chilled. How to do this depends on your own particular metabolism.

Practice camping in your back yard. For your first trip, don't go alone and pick a place where you can bail out easily.

Feral Bill
02-01-2011, 18:01
One more for not overdressing. I got quite damp hiking a week ago and was chilled in camp. Not fun.

LIhikers
02-01-2011, 18:47
If you have dry clothes to put on in camp here's another idea for your hiking clothes. Out them all, everything that's damp, into a stuff sack and keep the stuff sack in your sleeping bag during the night. The clothes won't be dry, but they will be warm for when you put them back on for the next day of hiking.

George
02-01-2011, 18:55
If you sweat a lot, vapor barrier base layer may be an option, kind of went out of style with good wicking base layers but I think the theory has merit

envirodiver
02-01-2011, 20:04
The main thing in the winter is to not hike in too many layers---minimal layers---so as to never sweat out your clothing. This can be done fairly well using and expecting certain items to get damp and stay damp, but which pose no problem in a cold camp.

Here is where a rain jacket comes in handy, as you can wear it over your baselayer t-shirt and polypro/merino midlayers to keep warmth in while hiking, and stopping to remove midlayers before they get moist, and then just backpacking in a very light baselayer under the rain jacket.

The main problem most people have is starting out in the morning in too many layers, or refusing to stop 15 minutes down the trail to remove layers and prevent sweat wetting. You can leave your winter camp in full layers if you want, just to keep that in-camp warmth, but ya gotta dump the pack as soon as you start getting hot.

In the morning? Well, put on your yesterday's damp socks and damp t-shirt/baselayer and possibly damp longjohn bottoms with shorts and have at it. It's dang cold but with the rain jacket you can start moving and voila---you get warm fast.

Gotta keep the hands and head warm, of course, so if your gloves are soaked from the day before, well, either put them on or go to your dry second pair. Cold feet? You can't carry a pair of socks for every day of the trip so the damp ones must be worn(and if they are frozen stiff you can thaw them in your bag before shoving off), while keeping your dry pair dry NO MATTER WHAT.

I'm a sweater too and this is exactly the method I use. I usually just suck it up in the morning and put on the cold/damp stuff, wear warm jacket over it. Then at the last minute I remove the jacket and start out. Put the jacket on top of my pack. When I stop for a break I immediately put on a warm hat and jacket.

I also carry a couple of 2 gallon ziploc freezer bags. If it's really cold you can put wet boots/shoes in the ziploc and put them in the bottom of your sleeping bag to keep them from freezing.

Slack-jawed Trog
02-01-2011, 21:10
I'm a "sweater", too. I use synthetic or wool clothes to create several layers. And I prefer to start "cold" and put on an additional layer or two if I get cold or when I stop. This works pretty well for me. YMMV

And Tipi Walter is spot on: always keep your camp/sleep clothes dry; no matter what.

Roche
02-01-2011, 22:29
Great advice posted. If you start of your hike feeling comfortable, you're wearing too much. I start off on the brink of cold, then adjust. Hat over ears, above ears, off. Jacket pit zips open, front open, off. Unzipping convertible pant legs a bit. Make adjustments as needed. Comfort on the sunny south side turns into chills on the dark north side. Do you need to add a layer or pick up the pace? After a mile or so you should have it down pat.

ShaneP
02-01-2011, 22:40
Make sure you have clothes that dry easily. I like silk base layers and capilene. Usually I will only carry one set of clothes for everything so I don't really have camp clothes and sleeping clothes. I'll just make sure that i get dry hanging around camp before bedtime. Can get chilly doing that, but you warm back up after you put your wool and shell back on. I'm like you, though, I always seem to go a bit too far before shedding layers. gotta learn to start out lighter.

S

Gladiator
02-01-2011, 23:08
I carry handwarmers because I have had issues in the past with frostbite. They are extra weight, but I am willing to carry them in order to keep my fingers comfortable and functional. In the morning, I open a pair and toss them inside my boots for a few minutes to help warm them as I am breaking camp. This doesn't make them warm and toasty, but it does help slightly. In addition to that, when I wake up, I put my hiking clothes inside my sleeping bag with me for a few minutes to warm them before I put them on. It makes the initial shock of putting them on slightly more tolerable.

While you are hiking, you will experience noticeable temperature changes as you change elevations. You will want to keep jacket, hat and gloves handy for quick changes.

Love the challenges and rewards of winter hiking - hope you enjoy it!

Gladiator

Camping Dave
02-02-2011, 10:15
My question is what is the best way to dry my wet cloths so i can wear them the next day.

Don't get your clothes sweaty in the first place.

Use VB socks; neoprene socks from Campmor or Cabelas work very well. Wear rubber kitchen gloves under your mittens. Peel layers AS SOON AS you start to warm up in the morning. You know you overdress, so knock it off. Take off that giant hat so your head doesn't overheat.

If you're going for only 1 or 2 nights and can't stand the idea of VB, or cold feet and fingers, or a little chill on your torso, then just pack a whole extra set of clothes or two and carry it.

Plenty of options.