PDA

View Full Version : Pillow Talk

Jedeye
02-01-2011, 16:00
This past weekend I didn't have any extra clothing to use for a pillow so I used my shoes. Just curious what other objects you guys have used.

Sickmont
02-01-2011, 16:02
In the USAF at Wendover field i took 3 benedryl and used a rock for a pillow about 4 or so feet away from a live firing M-60. Slept like a baby.

Jedeye
02-01-2011, 16:05
WOW, I guess rock beats scissors!

max patch
02-01-2011, 16:06
A backpacking pillow.

Buffalo Skipper
02-01-2011, 16:11
A backpacking pillow.

Ladies and Gentlemen....we have a winner....

fievel2011
02-01-2011, 16:21
Ladies and Gentlemen....we have a winner....

HA!

my least favorite pillow, perhaps even worse than none at all, is balled up rain gear. it's hard and pokey, though i can't imagine anything would ever really be worse than a rock. i should probably just bring more benadryl when i hike...

Old Grouse
02-01-2011, 16:28
In the USAF at Wendover field i took 3 benedryl and used a rock for a pillow about 4 or so feet away from a live firing M-60. Slept like a baby.

Been there! In Chu Lai in the mid 60s I routinely used a sandbag - slept fine with about anything as a pillow as long as I took off my boots. I couldn't sleep with my boots on. Go figure.

Buffalo Skipper
02-01-2011, 16:30
Been there! In Chu Lai in the mid 60s I routinely used a sandbag - slept fine with about anything as a pillow as long as I took off my boots. I couldn't sleep with my boots on. Go figure.

Are you suggesting that we all carry sandbags to use as pillows? This could be a new trend. :eek:

envirodiver
02-01-2011, 17:36
Fleece jacket in a stuff sack

theeulogy
02-01-2011, 17:39
I have used a camelback bladder several times.

Old Grouse
02-01-2011, 17:41
Are you suggesting that we all carry sandbags to use as pillows? This could be a new trend. :eek:

Only if you're anticipating incoming.:-?

Rocket Jones
02-01-2011, 17:43

Depends on how loudly you snore. :)

Sickmont
02-01-2011, 17:48

I dont think you'd wanna be thru-hiking in that area......

sixguns01
02-01-2011, 17:50
I use the Coccon Hyperlite Pillow. 2oz and great for a side and stomach sleeper.

scope
02-01-2011, 18:03
Fleece jacket in a stuff sack

Even better, a down jacket in a fleece stuff sack. :banana

...Just curious what other objects you guys have used.

"objects" !!!?! :eek:

envirodiver
02-01-2011, 18:07
Even better, a down jacket in a fleece stuff sack. :banana

"objects" !!!?! :eek:

Yep, a fleece stuff sack would be comfy. Problem with my down jacket is it compresses too much.

QiWiz
02-01-2011, 18:11
I routinely roll up the backpad of my Gossamer Gear Gorilla pack, secure with a velcro strap (that doubles to secure my NeoAir folded in half after rolling). Pillow is quite comfy, adds no weight, and never gets used for extra warmth inside bag. I bet it's more comfy than my shoes, but I could see using those if I had to. Also use the same backpad for a butt pad around camp or if taking a trail break, so it actually serves three functions. :D

QiWiz
02-01-2011, 18:14
Have also used a 2 liter platypus inflated with air, but this has a tendency to scoot away and needs to be recaptured and restrained several times during the nite. Add some water to tame it and make recapture easier.
:banana

Old Grouse
02-01-2011, 18:16
Depends on how loudly you snore. :)

Well, one night my daughter was sure there was a bear in our camp. Just dad in his BMB hammock.:o

Jedeye
02-01-2011, 18:44
Have also used a 2 liter platypus inflated with air, but this has a tendency to scoot away and needs to be recaptured and restrained several times during the nite. Add some water to tame it and make recapture easier.
:banana
I have heard of this, but was worried about springing a leak. Ever have any trouble with this, or am I just overly cautious with my gear?

George
02-01-2011, 19:15
I have heard of this, but was worried about springing a leak. Ever have any trouble with this, or am I just overly cautious with my gear?

It will get more pressure in your pack, than from your head on it

garbanz
02-01-2011, 19:19
A cut piece of yellow FOAM like some people sleep with between their knees. Its cushy and there's nothing lighter.

Slack-jawed Trog
02-01-2011, 21:17
Last weekend I used my rolled up fleece. In warmer weather I use a stuff sack, stuffed with my hiking clothes or rain gear-whichever is driest.

CrumbSnatcher
02-01-2011, 21:48
:-?food bag with fleece rolled around it?:D

Jedeye
02-01-2011, 23:55
:-?food bag with fleece rolled around it?:D

Where have you used this? Any problems with rodents or other critters?

bflorac
02-02-2011, 01:33
I used an REI inflatable "backpacker pillow" on my last section hike. While better than a rock, it still was not ideal. No mater how I inflated it, my head tended to roll off it. Before that I used a Thermarest Suff Sack Pillow. It worked well but since I fill the sack with the clothes I was not wearing it tended to stink a bit (or a lot) with my nose it it.

I'm looking for something better this year. Perhaps one of the compressible pillows. They don't weight much but do take a bit of room and I'd gladly trade the weight for my sleep comfort (san drugs)

CrumbSnatcher
03-04-2011, 10:34
Where have you used this? Any problems with rodents or other critters?
just a handful of times on the AT
no rodents or critters wanted to get near my dog

Joker4ink
03-08-2011, 00:24
I use one of those inflatable seat cushions that you would take to a stadium. It weighs four ounces, is pretty durable and has a small divot in the middle which keeps it from sliding out from under you. I put a spare shirt over it and it is very comfortable.

TallShark
03-08-2011, 02:40
Down Jacket FTW. A fleece stuff sack though over the jacket sounds amazing, where can I find one?

TallShark
03-08-2011, 02:40
Down Jacket FTW. A fleece stuff sack though over the jacket sounds amazing, where can I find one?

TallShark
03-08-2011, 02:41
^stupid computer

Wombat Farm
03-08-2011, 02:51
I stuff my clothing into a home made fleece pillow cover. That way also, my clothes stay close by and warm for the next morning. :sun

NYRGTO
03-08-2011, 03:14
Exped pillow. Love it.

AeroGuyDC
03-10-2011, 01:48
I used an REI inflatable "backpacker pillow" on my last section hike. While better than a rock, it still was not ideal. No mater how I inflated it, my head tended to roll off it. Before that I used a Thermarest Suff Sack Pillow. It worked well but since I fill the sack with the clothes I was not wearing it tended to stink a bit (or a lot) with my nose it it.

I'm looking for something better this year. Perhaps one of the compressible pillows. They don't weight much but do take a bit of room and I'd gladly trade the weight for my sleep comfort (san drugs)

I use the Cocoon Ultralight Air Core pillow....once inflated it fits perfectly in the headroom portion of my mummy bag. Tuck the corners under and slightly tighten the bag around it and the pillow stays in place perfectly all night. It may be a creature comfort, but for 2 ounces it is well worth it for me.

TFOS
03-10-2011, 02:14
I sleep on a z-lite, so I just fold up a little of it at the top for extra cushioning when I need it. Other than that I just sleep with my head on my pack. It's a little hard and pokey, but I hate to waste pack space on a pillow.

AeroGuyDC
03-10-2011, 09:31
I sleep on a z-lite, so I just fold up a little of it at the top for extra cushioning when I need it. Other than that I just sleep with my head on my pack. It's a little hard and pokey, but I hate to waste pack space on a pillow.

If pack space is the issue, i'd highly recommend the Cocoon Ultra Lite Air Core...it compresses down to the size of a deck of cards (for lack of a better comparison). A couple of ounces and you can stuff it anywhere there's a void in your pack.

TFOS
03-10-2011, 10:43
If pack space is the issue, i'd highly recommend the Cocoon Ultra Lite Air Core...it compresses down to the size of a deck of cards (for lack of a better comparison). A couple of ounces and you can stuff it anywhere there's a void in your pack.

Thanks, I'll look into that. My pack is a 2750 and Max's will probably be a 4750, so pack space is definitely at a premium (and we like it that way, don't get me wrong).

Espero
03-10-2011, 12:35
Another vote for the Exped Air Pillow: Weight: 3 oz., Packed Size: 2.5 x 4.5 inches, Inflated Dimensions: 15 x 11 x 4 inches, Fabric: Tricot polyester

tuswm
03-10-2011, 17:10
Has anyone tried a inflatable seat then moved up to a real inflatable pillow? I like my inflatable seat but is just a little thin.

dgposey
03-10-2011, 17:21

Therm-a-rest pillowcase:

http://www.rei.com/product/719845

Backcountry.com is out of stock of them right now; I think I must've gotten the last one.

4Bears
03-10-2011, 18:39
I use a set of those floaties you put on little kids arms when around the pool. Cut them near a seam so they lay flat, stick them in my fleece pullover, the set can't weigh an ounce, plus you can always use them to sit on at camp. They only take a couple breaths to inflate.

catzby
03-10-2011, 23:18
My husband and I hiked out to Smokemont last summer figured we could get by without a pillow....next day we went shopping for something to use the next night, couldn't find anything...we were in a hurry sooooo lol We bought two rolls of paper towels for the hike to Charlie's Bunion... Stayed at Ice Water Shelter... It was funny as **** . Got some laughs off of it. But trust me BUY A REAL CAMP PILLOW you will sleep much better.

Terraducky
03-10-2011, 23:28
I have to vote for the Exped. Head doesnt roll off and weighs 3oz. My little luxury on the trail...;)

Skid.
03-20-2011, 21:19
A backpacking pillow.

Ditto. Thermarest -- weighs 9 ounces, wouldn't backpack without it.

sir limpsalot
03-21-2011, 16:23
exped...hands down. tried thermarest-kept compressing under my head till it was useless. cacoon air core was too round to be comfortable.

Razorback
03-21-2011, 22:13
Wal-Mart sells for 5 bucks an inflatable, U-shaped travel neck support/pillow which is covered in fleece. Perfect for side sleepers. Light, comfortable and packs very small.

skooch
03-30-2011, 12:36
I just cut a wedge of memory foam (ahhh) to my sleeping bag. squished it right in the same compression sack and don't care how many ounces it added. :)

ScottP
03-30-2011, 12:44
my food bag

George
03-30-2011, 13:08
if it takes the pressure inside your pack without leaking it will be ok for a pillow