PDA

View Full Version : Quick Aquamira Question

-Ghost-
02-01-2011, 16:21
I was going to post this in Straight forward but I figured Thrus would specifically have more experience with Aquamira. I have never used it before (generally just pump) but am using it for my thru. I got the 2 oz bottles which do not have a dropper so I got some little Nalgene droppers to dispense it with. I know you have to mix the two and let it sit but what amounts do you mix? The amounts on the bottles i got are for larger volumes (gallons etc) and are measured in tablespoons as opposed to drops. I was thinking specifically how many drops of part A and B for say my 2 L bladder?

Thanks!

Raul Perez
02-01-2011, 16:24
I believe it is 7 drops of each part per liter.

Helios
02-01-2011, 16:45
I believe it is 7 drops of each part per liter.

+1 on this answer

Deadpete
02-01-2011, 16:45
If there aren't instructions, if it was me I'd ask the store I bought it from and the company. Doesn't seem like something you'd want a guess on.

schnikel
02-01-2011, 17:15
+1 on this answer

+ 2. It is 7 drops of each, let sit 5 min. then add to 1 liter of water, wait 15min. More drops is better defense for questionable sources.
Schnikel

TheChop
02-01-2011, 17:23
I would return it or just get one with a dropper for the lid. No need to carry extra droppers unless somehow this is a weight savings...

But yeah seven drops each let stand for five minutes. Let mix for 15-20. Drink.

envirodiver
02-01-2011, 17:39
Tea, please note that the directions, while correct are for 1 L. You were asking about a 2 L bladder so you would want to double that.

-Ghost-
02-01-2011, 18:18
Gotcha. Thanks guys! 7 drops of A and 7 of B per liter. So 14 of each for my 2L bladder and 7 drops of each for my 1L Platty soft bottle.

It wasnt so much weight saving as I was looking to get 2 oz instead of 1 oz just so it will last longer. The nalgene droppers I got can hold the entire bottle so ill just dump them into the droppers and be good to go. (not planning on carrying the droppers AND the other bottles)

-Ghost-
02-01-2011, 18:21
Also there WERE directions on the side of the bottle. But like I said because I got the larger 2 oz bottles the directions were for larger amounts. I.e. use x number of tablespoons of part A/B for x number of gallons of water. I wasnt planning on carrying multiple gallons of water! =)

QiWiz
02-01-2011, 18:25
Seven drops per liter is the number of drops using the Aqua Mira bottles that come with droppers. Some other droppers may make bigger or smaller drops. For example, BPL sells tiny bottles I use for weekend hikes so I don't have to carry the huge, heavy, Aqua Mira bottles :D.

The BPL bottles use 10 drops to get the same volume as the 7 drops from Aqua Mira bottles.

bigcranky
02-01-2011, 18:35
+1 on QiWiz's answer. Different dropper bottles have different drop sizes, so you might need to do some research to figure it out.

(The OP bought the treatment for a single 55 gallon drum, which is kinda hard to carry on a hike. :) )

George
02-01-2011, 18:35
Just use the bottles the aqua mira comes in, they have the built in droppers, other lighter little bottles like to leak especially if they get squeezed in the pack

George
02-01-2011, 18:39
the dropper is the whole bottle, not a screw off with a rubber bulb, this must be the confusion

Monkeywrench
02-01-2011, 18:39
Gotcha. Thanks guys! 7 drops of A and 7 of B per liter. So 14 of each for my 2L bladder and 7 drops of each for my 1L Platty soft bottle.

It wasnt so much weight saving as I was looking to get 2 oz instead of 1 oz just so it will last longer. The nalgene droppers I got can hold the entire bottle so ill just dump them into the droppers and be good to go. (not planning on carrying the droppers AND the other bottles)

Do you know whether the Nalgene droppers you got dispense the same size drops as the Aqua Mira droppers do? In fact, I believe the drops are different sizes for the two parts of the Aqua Mira system, though I could be wrong about that.

-Ghost-
02-01-2011, 19:05
This is a very good point. I will have to do some searching to figure this out. Thanks guys.

Spokes
02-01-2011, 19:18
..................never mind.

bigcranky
02-01-2011, 19:25
Just use the bottles the aqua mira comes in, they have the built in droppers, other lighter little bottles like to leak especially if they get squeezed in the pack

The OP bought this: http://aquamira.com/preparedness/aquamira-water-treatment-2oz

No built-in droppers.